The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
wondering about opinions on best beginner guitar book?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-09 3:00 PM (#61752)
Subject: wondering about opinions on best beginner guitar book?

Hi folks,

Well now that my son has his guitar (see, "new guy to the forum, new Ovation owner") I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good beginner to intermediate book on guitar playing. He likes more contemporary stuff, and does not want to practice scales. I bought him a Mark Hanson DVD which he barely looks at, mainly because he doesn't have any interest in learning tunes that are not by Led Zepp, Incubus, or Dave Mathews. What he doesn't get is that you have to practice chords to be able to play the harder stuff. However, that being said I believe there must be some course books out there that have the best of both worlds. And of course I am teaching him some basics from what I know. YOur thoughts are appreciated as always!
Bill
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-09 3:20 PM (#61753 - in reply to #61752)
Subject: Re: wondering about opinions on best beginner guitar book?

I would suggest a membership to WorkShopLive.com

It's a great learning tool for all levels....
Damon67
Posted 2008-01-09 3:22 PM (#61754 - in reply to #61752)

I had to enjoy what I was playing to learn it. All the Mel Bay books just collected dust.

My suggestion would be to let him learn what he wants to learn. Not sure how old he is or what the internet rules are in your house, but youtube is a great place these days to get instgruction on how to play songs.

Maybe point him to some easier Dave Matthews songs like Typical Situation or Gravedigger. Both regular chord (sorta) type songs. Or maybe a 3 chord song that's cool like Elderly Woman from Pearl Jam.

And a fingering chart.

Let him go to town on his own. I didn't have internet, but that's what my dad did with me, and that's what I did with my son too. He's 16 now, and it took him a few years to really want to pick it up and learn. I heard him do Sweet Home Alabama the other day, and he was doing a great job.

I wish I could take some of the credit, but it was really his desire that made the difference.

My opinion.
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-09 3:35 PM (#61755 - in reply to #61752)

Damon, I like what you worte. It's how I feel too...I learned by getting together with other players and jamming. I had no need for scales or "stupid" folk songs (I later learned that this was an ignorant ascertion on my part...)But nowadays kids don't really get together that much. Everybody seems to live on their 5 acres with their house and their fence. Kids meet each other on line, and talk about "Guitar Hero III" as if they are playing the music! I am just tickled that he wants to play rather than watch TV or play video games. So , yeah, I'm trying to make it interesting for him. I actually like the idea of him getting on you tube to check out lessons, however we live in the boonies and believe it or not don't have high speed yet. It takes a half hour to download a song on his i pod!! And I am not allowed to watch youtube at work. (internet nazi's!)
Thanks Jeff for the website. I will check it out!
Any other's out there? Keep em coming. Thanks, Bill
noah
Posted 2008-01-09 3:37 PM (#61756 - in reply to #61752)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
I would suggest a membership to WorkShopLive.com

It's a great learning tool for all levels....
Damon67
Posted 2008-01-09 3:42 PM (#61757 - in reply to #61752)

Youtube is a relatively new thing. I think my son started on TABs just text files

They're not always accurate though.

The thing that really motivated me to learn was when I forked out my own hard earned money at the age of 15 and bought my first electric guitar...

An Ovation!

I truly believe that my UKII had a big part in nurturing my love of playing the guitar. It was just such a pleasure to play it. And purdy too!
an4340
Posted 2008-01-09 3:50 PM (#61758 - in reply to #61752)

I recommend lessons from a local guy, about 10 lessons, the first 10 will be just learning how to hold the guitar and the basics. Maybe one of our members could work cheap. I've charged $20 a lesson, though the average in brooklyn is nearer to $50. For intermediate stuff gets more expensive. It's good to learn from someone local because he'll have someone to talk to about best music stores, best places to see bands, to answer questions about music, guitars etc.

Then go off on his own and lay the foundation, which, starts with the Blues. I can recommend: "You can play blues guitar" Mel Bay. It has a cd.

Then go back for some more lessons, probably about 5, to get rid of any bad habits. Figure out what he wants to play. I'd set his foot in the other root of american music, country, and have him learn a couple of easy Hank Williams songs, like Move it on over, and I saw the light.

This will take him at least a year to get thru it, but he'll have a base and can start playing with others.

He's gonna figure out fast that he can't be a guitar hero right off the bat, and that he has to lay a foundation.
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-09 4:03 PM (#61759 - in reply to #61752)

"He's gonna figure out fast that he can't be a guitar hero right off the bat, and that he has to lay a foundation." I totally agree, but before he lays the foundation he's gotta wanna play and the best way to develop the desire is to get a great sounding guitar, and learn songs. I took care of the first part of this, now it's a matter of finding the songs.
Damon, I just noticed you are in Bellevue WA. That's where my Brother in law lives...small world!
Bill
Beal
Posted 2008-01-09 4:30 PM (#61760 - in reply to #61752)

workshoplive.com
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-09 5:07 PM (#61761 - in reply to #61752)

If it works with dialup, do the workshoplive thing. If you're out in the boonies it will be tough to find lessons and there is a different way of teaching for every person giving lessons. If you don't have decent internet access and can't find a teacher who is compatible with what he wants to play, I don't know what to tell you. You'll have to teach him. I wish I had learned scales and the proper way to play guitar, but didn't have the patience then or now. Open chords would have to be the first thing, unless all he wants to do is powerchords. Go to a music store and see if you can find something he likes.
Damon67
Posted 2008-01-09 7:09 PM (#61762 - in reply to #61752)

I must say, the 10 lesson thing is a pretty good idea. I did that too, and had a great guy teach me the basics, holding it properly, a few exercises, and even how to play a cool tune or 2 (Good Times Bad Times was the first I think).
Damon67
Posted 2008-01-09 7:12 PM (#61763 - in reply to #61752)

Originally posted by geardaddy37:
Damon, I just noticed you are in Bellevue WA. That's where my Brother in law lives...small world!
Bill
Yes Sir. Live and work downtown. My ex-wife's in Michigan... Still too close for my liking :D
FlySig
Posted 2008-01-10 1:16 PM (#61764 - in reply to #61752)

An internet resource that I like is guitarvision.com . You download a free program (probably take all night on dial up!) and then you purchase songs. There is a guitar depicted on the screen and you simply follow what the guitar plays. They have a lot of songs on there, which seem to be very faithful to the originals. They also have some stuff like pentatonic scales for learning basics, but it isn't heavily lesson oriented. It's more like sitting down with a guitarist who shows you how to play songs.

The program can be slowed down and you can loop on any portion of the song, so you can slowly and repetitively go over hard parts.

Songs cost about $5 each and download quickly.

Guitarvision is a great way to learn songs, which would help his motivation and fun factor. It's much easier than working from a TAB book.

The best part? One of the guitars depicted is an Ovation! It looks like an Elite mid bowl, with OP24 preamp, fitted with a 12 string Adamas neck. Kinda makes one wonder a bit.
LBJ
Posted 2008-01-10 4:53 PM (#61765 - in reply to #61752)

$5 for one tabulature?
i think You should try guitar pro.
i use guitar pro 5.0 and have thousends of tabulatures downloaded.
Watchme22
Posted 2008-01-10 6:35 PM (#61766 - in reply to #61752)

Geardaddy, below is a web address that my son uses (and so do I on occasion) I really enjoy this kid and he is a great teacher
www.justinguitar.com
Damon67
Posted 2008-01-10 6:43 PM (#61767 - in reply to #61752)

I have guitar pro too. good tool. it's helped me figure out picking patterns on numerous occasions
FlySig
Posted 2008-01-10 6:44 PM (#61768 - in reply to #61752)

Originally posted by LBJ:
$5 for one tabulature?
i think You should try guitar pro.
i use guitar pro 5.0 and have thousends of tabulatures downloaded.
It's not tab, it's a photo realistic guitar with the notes played on the correct fret with the correct finger, in the correct timing. It's exactly like having a live guitarist sit down with a guitar and show you how to play a song. Plus you can slow it down and also rerun any smaller portion of the song. $5 is a bit steep to buy a large number of songs, but it is reasonable to buy some. It's much better than tab alone, albeit a bit more expensive.
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-10 8:29 PM (#61769 - in reply to #61752)

Wow, I thought this thread was dead! Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me all these great suggestions. You know, all of these ideas are good ones, even though I had originally asked for a good book, it seems like the consensus is to stay away from most books.
So I will definitely be taking a little of an3340's adise and getting Jake a couple of lessons. Then I will be looking into Mark and mauvais's "Workshop live, and also Flysig's guitar pro website. If he can learn 5 songs at a fin per, it's a deal IMO. And I'm sure once he gets started he will find many things on the i-net that I will never know about (kids and computers!!) Thanks again. YOu guys are all the best!!
Bill
PS: Damon, been there and done that...there are perks to getting older! (:
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)