The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
UK II Pickup info?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Damon67
Posted 2008-01-07 11:49 PM (#62943)
Subject: UK II Pickup info?

Hello people,

Can anyone direct me to info on the pickups for the UK II? I Know they're not magnetic and I'm curious as to how they work.

They kick ass, I wonder why I've never seen anything like them anywhere else since?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
brainslag
Posted 2008-01-08 8:43 AM (#62944 - in reply to #62943)
Subject: Re: UK II Pickup info?

Of course they're magnetic. Blade type rather than pole-piece, but magnetic none the less. Can't point you to specs on them, but someone here will probably know where to find it.
Beal
Posted 2008-01-08 8:51 AM (#62945 - in reply to #62943)

The pole pieces are nonmagnetic, that way they can get closer to the strings(louder) and now affect the string vibration. The magnets are at the bottom of the pickup. I seem to recall that the bobbins have 12000 turns on them and it's #43 wire? That might not be right. It's the same wire that the Viper 3 pickup was wound with, the one with the thinner wire.
numbfingers
Posted 2008-01-08 10:57 AM (#62946 - in reply to #62943)

I've seen pictures of UKII pickups but never heard them. Does their sound compare to a Viper or the hotter Gibson mini-humbuckers?

I've always associated blade-style pickups with Bill Lawrence who was offering them in the 70s. Did he make 'em first, or did someone else come up with the idea?

-Steve W.
Beal
Posted 2008-01-08 11:48 AM (#62947 - in reply to #62943)

They are hotter than REGULAR Gibson thumbsuckers.

The blade goes waaaaay back.
Damon67
Posted 2008-01-08 11:50 AM (#62948 - in reply to #62943)

Originally posted by numbfingers:
I've seen pictures of UKII pickups but never heard them. Does their sound compare to a Viper or the hotter Gibson mini-humbuckers?
-Steve W.
The UK II pickups are much hotter than the Gibson pickups in my flying V or for that matter any other guitar I own.

I'd love to see the schematics on them. I still don't understand how the string vibration trransfers down to the magnets.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-01-08 12:02 PM (#62949 - in reply to #62943)

The UK11 pickups use the principle of inductance, as do all magnetic pickups. The string vibration does not "transfer down to the magnets". Put very simply, the vibration of the strings disturb the magnetic field created by the coils and base magnets, which induces a small current in the coil.

The UK11 polepiece blades are not magnets, but they are made of a ferrous metal, so will react within a magnetic field.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-01-08 12:25 PM (#62950 - in reply to #62943)

The UKii pups compare well against all the Gibson models I own except the Burstbucker Pros on the LP Standard. Nothing seems as hot as the Burstbucker Pros. Maybe they're a bit too hot. I prefer the slightly milder (but still hot) single coil Texas Specials that come stock on the SRV Strat and a few others. The VXT pups also compare very well, but they just don't rip like the Burstbuckers.
Damon67
Posted 2008-01-08 1:00 PM (#62951 - in reply to #62943)

Thanks Paul. I'll try to wrap my brain around that answer! :confused:

I think I asked a question that I'm not going to understand the answer too. I'll listen to what Frank said and shut-up and play my guitar.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)