The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Suitable Accessories for Classical

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

nickwleo
Posted 2011-01-16 9:38 AM (#2246)
Subject: Suitable Accessories for Classical

Playing since '68.My huge(all makes)collection's crystallized over the years around the b/grass instruments.Become cheapskate in last decade(still got broken thigh that's only just starting to heal post life-threatening '03 accident[previously a 'correct gear @ all times man!].Recently imported/am thrilled with my first roundhole Ovation(inexpensive '73 purely acoustic 1116 from US)although proud owner of Adamas,MM68 and Millenium.Would Kaman Feedback Buster fit that infringed-upon soundhole?.Large Euro store doing Gator Deep-Bowl Cases cheaply.Suitable for a 12-frets-to-body guitar?.As for non-invasive pickup(thin saddle)anyone got experience of eg Baggs Element?.Very many thanks,Nick(ex-coalminer/ret'd m/health nurse.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nickwleo
Posted 2011-01-19 11:52 AM (#2247 - in reply to #2246)
Subject: Re: Suitable Accessories for Classical

The fretboard being extended into the soundhole on the 1116 didn't prove a problem when my Ebay-acquired Kaman Feedback Buster arrived.The problem was that the recess on the device(presumably being aimed at the steel-string market)wasn't wide enough to accomodate a classical's fretboard end.Cue to rubber-modification via scissors/razor blade,and it seems to be okay now!.Anyone got any preferences re which pickup to retrofit to an old acoustic Ovation classical,and does anyone know if those non-Kaman 'bowl slip-prevention' devices(available on US Ebay)actually work?.Thanks,Nick.
nickwleo
Posted 2011-01-30 12:10 PM (#2248 - in reply to #2246)

Gator Deep-Bowl case proved unsuitable for my Ovation 1116(case not deep enough to accomodate deep bowl!!).I know it's wrong to compare apples with oranges,but hassle/expense of shipping case back to Germany has now made me wary of buying even an Ovation 8158 case(advertised[tho not in stock in UK for a good few months!])as mid-depth or full bowl.Having spoken to 'em on 'phone and with the company being less than 30 miles from me,I'm going to do what I should've done in the first place and buy a Hiscox case.All/best,Nick.
marenostrum
Posted 2011-01-30 1:17 PM (#2249 - in reply to #2246)

Originally posted by nickwleo:
Gator Deep-Bowl case proved unsuitable for my Ovation 1116(case not deep enough to accomodate deep bowl!!)
Nick, that's very strange. I bought at least 3 of the gator case suited for mid & deep-bowl Ovation and all worked well. I got them from Thomann in Germany. I guess your 1116 has the same bowl depth of any legend or folklore, right ? ..... :confused:
nickwleo
Posted 2011-01-31 8:54 PM (#2250 - in reply to #2246)

What was happening buddy(Many thanks for contribution by the way and you're no doubt well-aware measuring Lyrachord bowls isn't the easiest trick in the game)was that you could see a lotta daylight between the nice shallow d-profile neck and the neck support part of the case(it REALLY sat proud).Neck pressed down---body rose up & vice versa.Gtr just wouldn't go deep enough into the case.Lookin' at the outside of the case whilst attempting closure(NOT some USA conflict resolution strategy!)I met real/worrying resistance a GOOD inch from being able to clip the latches closed.Yep she's a 38 yrs old inexpensive lady from Texas and I know some ABS cases can be a bit of a tight fit,but I would have damaged the neck to force that particular case closed.My worry(discussed prior to purchase with Thomann)had been whether the 12-frets-to-the-body configuration would lead to the wider headstock part of the neck wanting to sit where the narrow neck-channel section of the case was.That proved no problem tho.Hiscox guy seemed uber-friendly and said we've no doubt our Pro 2 GAB case will fit.He added 'any problems tho ask for me and I'll talk you through easy removal of any excess case padding'.All/best,Nick.
marenostrum
Posted 2011-02-01 12:53 PM (#2251 - in reply to #2246)

I had a similar problem whit one of the gator case (lot of light between the neck and the neck support - neck down - body up); its a matter of fact that the body of the guitar need quite a time to accomodate in the new plush, and, I had to fill the air gap at the neck with a cloth to let the neck sit correctly in its support. Then, with few of resistance the case can be closed. After almost 6 months the situation improved .... I found a similar problem with a brand new Ovation 9158 case ... that's life. All the best. Riccardo
nickwleo
Posted 2011-02-06 12:22 PM (#2252 - in reply to #2246)

Thanks for contributions!.Took Classical round to a scientist friend's house(guy I met @ secondary school in '65!)for a meal/session on Feb 4th..Tho an Adamas-respecter he's no Ovation-lover(opinion perhaps shaped by cheap copies seen over the yrs),but expressed the view that it was both a true cannon(with its ability to match his Fylde Dreadnought strung with 13 gauge)and an absolute bargain to boot.Borrowed the 8110 case from my Adamas-perfect fit!-but doesn't look to be available anywhere.Bearing in mind my injuries date back 8/9 yrs and I haven't touched any of my 30/40 instruments since then[battery removal's suddenly become priority #1!!]the sorry-looking Elixir Lights on the Adamas struck up a THUNDEROUS bell-like tone reminding me what good sense I had shown when giving it a home from new!!.All/best,Nick.
nickwleo
Posted 2011-03-02 1:22 PM (#2253 - in reply to #2246)

As a player since '68 I must have tried every fretted string instrument doohickey on the market.I did,however,end up importing into the UK Tom Scott's 'Standing Ovation'(US Ebay site)device which is designed to prevent bowl-slippage.Must say I'm quite impressed and it's designed to stick(velcro)onto the outside of the case when not in use.Regards,Nick.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)