The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
...a couple more questions about Ovation ...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-01 2:47 PM (#64301)
Subject: ...a couple more questions about Ovation ...

Hey folks, got back from Californiayesterday and can't wait til the 8th when I can give my son his new guitar. My question is; would a gig bag be sufficient for his new ovation, or should I try to get him a hardshell case for it? the other question is; what would be a good starter amp for him in the 200.00 range? I have a small fender amp but just wondering if there's a particulatr amp which works well with Ovation guitars. Hey you guys o this forum have been very helpful and thanks a lot!
Bill
PS: went into a little music store in dana Pointe the last day we were there and they had an Ovation guitar which was signed by Mellisa Etheridge on the front. It was a natural wood top looked like spruce. The guy said he wanted 1Grand for it...just an FYI if'n anybody is interested... :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2008-01-01 3:40 PM (#64302 - in reply to #64301)
Subject: Re: ...a couple more questions about Ovation ...

A genuine Ovation hard sided case is highly recommended. If he takes it out of the house at all it would be cheap insurance.

An amp specifically for an acoustic guitar would be best. There is a surprisingly big difference in sound between a standard amp for an electric guitar and an acoustic amp.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-01-01 3:52 PM (#64303 - in reply to #64301)

1- Spend for a hard case. A gig-bag just keeps all the pieces in one spot when you smash it.

2- Roland Micro Cube (2w with effects) for $125. A Pinose for $79 with AC adapter. Or any 15 watt amp for under $100.

3- What kind of ME signed Ovation was it? I've seen Melissa Etheridge Autographs on Celebrity's. She used to sign guitars to be auctioned to benefit Breast Cancer, Battered Women's Shelters, and the like.
On eBarf, they have listed new Celebrity's for $1200 cuz of the autograph. Just FYI.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-01 6:07 PM (#64304 - in reply to #64301)

Crate makes a decent little acoustic practice amp for well under $200. As FlySig said, be sure it's an acoustic amp. It won't have a bunch of features that an electric amp has, but it will sound much better. I bought my daughter a 25 Watt Fender that wasn't acoustic and it sounds OK with her acoustic. A Marshall 25 watt that I tried sounded very poor.
Yak
Posted 2008-01-01 6:33 PM (#64305 - in reply to #64301)

I sometimes use my Roland Micro Cube with my Balladeer. Although its not an acoustic amp, its pretty versatile between the acoustic setting and the JC Clean for an acoustic like sound. Whats nice is that it has some good effects like chorus, tremolo, delay/reverb, which the cheaper acoustic amps seem to lack. I also have a CRATE cimmaron acoustic amp and it just has a reverb, a spring one too, so it doesn't reverb that well at low levels. Although it does sound more acurate, its just not as fun. Its nice to have that portability of the cube too.
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-01 7:16 PM (#64306 - in reply to #64301)

That's good information folks, thanks! I've always owned wood boxes (still love that metaphor...(: ). Wasn't sure how they do with differences in humidity, etc, having the plastic back. I will probably just go to Elderly and pick one up.
The ME autograph was, according to the guy in the store, when she was going through her own recovery from cancer...she wrote something under her name in quotes which said something like "get out and live" or "get out and do it"... something like that... The place is called "Danman's Music School", and it's on Del Prado, right by the Ralphs and the Hobie Surf shop. The phone number is (949)496-6556. (luckily my son is walking around with this info on the back of the tee shirt I got him, heh heh...) Give the guy a call and I'm sure he can give you more info on it. It's a very small shop and he really didn't have many high end instruments in there, but this one was kinda neat. He did mention when I asked how much that 'the guy" wanted a thousand for it...makes me think he has it there on consignment.
Thanks again for the info and happy new year to everybody!

Bill
PEZ
Posted 2008-01-01 9:35 PM (#64307 - in reply to #64301)

get a hard side Ovation case.
Al at Lost Art in links may have a used one.
If he doesn't try music go round.
an4340
Posted 2008-01-01 10:25 PM (#64308 - in reply to #64301)

A gigbag would be good if he was going to gigs. He should get case first, then a gigbag.

You and he, can look at ebay for used cases. You don't need a new one. How old is he?

I can recommend a Pignose Hog 30 Recharging Portable Amp or the crate mentioned above. I've had bad luck with the roland cubes, but it may just be me.

The pignose is "tuned" for acoustics ... or you can look into a powered small PA or reference speaker from yamaha.

Good luck.
edensharvest
Posted 2008-01-01 10:32 PM (#64309 - in reply to #64301)

Roland Micro Cube, all the way. Great little amp for the price. If you want to go up a grade and have something road-worthy, Fender Acoustasonic Jr. or the Genz-Benz Shenandoah. That'll give you multiple inputs and stereo sound & stage volume.
Omaha
Posted 2008-01-02 11:19 AM (#64310 - in reply to #64301)

I thought all USA made O's came with a factory HSC.
Waskel
Posted 2008-01-02 1:42 PM (#64311 - in reply to #64301)

I believe they do.
However, they don't all seem to make it out the dealer's door with the guitar, and get sold separately at an additional profit...
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-05 6:52 PM (#64312 - in reply to #64301)

Actually considering the fact that I got the guitar for a pretty low sum, I am ok with purchasing the case seperately.
(:
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-01-05 7:07 PM (#64313 - in reply to #64301)

Glad you got a good deal GD...
For my first Ovation, I was shopping in a local store, and they were doing the "$100 Off" deal, but with no case. Then they wanted to sell me the case for $129!
So I went to eBay for the guitar, and got a case with it.
Also, if you decide to go shopping for cases on eBay...
I've gotten two of my cases for cheap by buying the broken guitars that came with them.
[Gave both the guitars away to more talented dewitt-yosef-ers]
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-01-05 8:38 PM (#64314 - in reply to #64301)

Almost 12 years ago, when I bought my Adamas I 12 string, I was sold the case separately.
geardaddy37
Posted 2008-01-06 9:14 PM (#64315 - in reply to #64301)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Glad you got a good deal GD...
For my first Ovation, I was shopping in a local store, and they were doing the "$100 Off" deal, but with no case. Then they wanted to sell me the case for $129!
So I went to eBay for the guitar, and got a case with it.
Also, if you decide to go shopping for cases on eBay...
I've gotten two of my cases for cheap by buying the broken guitars that came with them.
[Gave both the guitars away to more talented dewitt-yosef-ers]
Brilliant! :cool: With some of the crap on ebay I bet the case is better than the guitar that comes with it!
Bill
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)