The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
new guy to the forum, new Ovation owner...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

geardaddy37
Posted 2007-12-18 1:34 PM (#64906)
Subject: new guy to the forum, new Ovation owner...

Hi folks, I was given this website to get hooked into the "Ovation fever". Just purchased a 1778T "Elite"...some sort of special edition because it has upgraded stuff on it (supposedly) and has an OP PRo on board electronics. It also has a weird, metallic Orange flame paint job on it. The only thing I can find on the internet is one that is similar but painted Purple with flames. It had an MSRP sticker on it that stated that it was $1,800. The Ovations in this category are running anywhere from 875$ to 1300$. It has the ebony fretboard, solid maple neck, the "cool" paint job, and the upgraded on board electronics (OP Pro series). The guy at the shop told me this was a special edition, and from what I could tell it was built around 2005 or '06
( ascertained from the serial number). My question; does anyone know if many of these were made (with the orange, 'hot wheels' flame) and if this guitar has the "X" bracing. That would be the only way I could see this guitar being worth 1800. and if not, then do they mark these things up that much just for a paint job?? BTW they have marked this guitar down considerably and I purchased it over the weekend for my son who will be turning 16 in January. This thing plays really nicely and it is kind of cool (in an ugly sort of way...heh heh...) I think he will really like it! If anyone has info on this guitar, or want to share their story about their favorite "O" that would be great too! It is my first Ovation purchase and frankly I'm surprised I snubbed this brand for so long!!
Thanks!
Bill
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LBJ
Posted 2007-12-18 1:44 PM (#64907 - in reply to #64906)
Subject: Re: new guy to the forum, new Ovation owner...

i've seen similar guitar in Poland, and it was sold for equivalent of $1400 here (new)
Waskel
Posted 2007-12-18 1:49 PM (#64908 - in reply to #64906)

Welcome, Bill!

Um... you didn't pay $1800, did you?

Red
Purple
...and I've seen them in blue.
Watchme22
Posted 2007-12-18 1:49 PM (#64909 - in reply to #64906)

Let me be the first to Welcome You geardaddy.
If you are looking for info on Ovations, you have stumbled into the center of the universe. I don't have any information on your model but I'm sure there are many (100s) here who know more than you knew there was to know about it. Welcome again!
fillhixx
Posted 2007-12-18 1:50 PM (#64910 - in reply to #64906)

Welcome aboard geardad. Pictures would possible help for those able to "Name That Guitar!"
G8r
Posted 2007-12-18 2:05 PM (#64911 - in reply to #64906)

Welcome to the board, Bill. Stick around, there are lots of people with opinions and information here (some of them reasonably correct).
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-12-18 2:20 PM (#64912 - in reply to #64906)

Orange Flame Elite T in OFC Jam Video

(Don't be too stymied by the smokin' EVH-like leads)
Mitchrx
Posted 2007-12-18 2:21 PM (#64913 - in reply to #64906)

I think the orange flame models with the OP Pro were made for Guitar Center. All of the ones I've seen have a truss rod cover which would indicate an LX neck and therefore scalloped X (LX) bracing in the top. GC must have ordered a bunch of these and then had trouble selling them at $1099. I remember seeing them for a lot less than that, but probably GC was not including a case at the lower price. It's a very cool guitar but perhaps not the sort of "bling" that appeals to everyone.

Wellcome to the OFC!
Omaha
Posted 2007-12-18 2:25 PM (#64914 - in reply to #64906)

Bill, good to see you made it to the other side...

If the one you bought is similar to this one:

...then those are awesome! The look is not for the tradition bound, wood sniffers over there, but who cares. Its looks cool and I can't imagine a 16 yo not loving it.

Wish you were my dad. I'll send you a list.
FlySig
Posted 2007-12-18 2:32 PM (#64915 - in reply to #64906)

The Orange Flame with the Op Pro was the newer version of the Red Flame. We got one of the Red Flame for my daughter about 2 yrs ago or so ? IIRC. Hers is a Guitar Center special edition that carries an offical designation GCXT and has the OP30 preamp.

I believe there were 1778T-RF that were exactly the same thing available, just not from Guitar Center.

The newer version, like yours, has the different color and the Op Pro.

I love the sound of that guitar! It is great both plugged and unplugged. It is based on the Elite T 1778, so it is a non-lx version. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that).

We paid about $900 out the door new, including factory hard case, tax and a couple of extras like a cord and strap.

Try Martin Marquis Phos Bronze strings, light gauge, on the guitar.
lanaki
Posted 2007-12-18 2:34 PM (#64916 - in reply to #64906)

where's crimson lake? (oh yeah, he's in france) anyway, his son nicky has an orange one i think. we've got pics around here somewhere...
lanaki
Posted 2007-12-18 2:37 PM (#64917 - in reply to #64906)

Mitchrx
Posted 2007-12-18 3:04 PM (#64918 - in reply to #64906)

There are LX and non-LX versions of the Elite T. Almost every one that I've seen with the OP-Pro and six-element original p/u are LX. The flame models are all LX according the Ovation's web site.
geardaddy37
Posted 2007-12-18 3:30 PM (#64919 - in reply to #64906)

Wow, great response. thanks to everyone !! Yes, the exact guitar is the pic with the boy in it. That is my exact guitar. No i didn't pay 1800...I actually paid 800.00 I know you could get a lot of guitars out there for 8 C but I have no buyers remorse over this as it sounds very col, both plugged and unplugged, with plenty of punch and the thin neck will help him reach those sustained chords perfectly!! So I will assume then that it is the X bracing, not that it would matter other than it must be why the guitar sounds so good...
Happy holidays to all, and thanks for the info!!
Bill
PS: yeah, I think my kid is pretty lucky, but then he's a pretty good kid too, so it goes both ways! (:
Slipkid
Posted 2007-12-18 3:32 PM (#64920 - in reply to #64906)

Welcome Geardaddy!
And yet another Michigander checks in.
Waskel
Posted 2007-12-18 3:39 PM (#64921 - in reply to #64906)

Nope, $800 is a great price for that guitar! The T's are a terrific bargain, flames or no flames.
FlySig
Posted 2007-12-18 3:47 PM (#64922 - in reply to #64906)

What do the bracings look like for the LX vs non-LX?
dvd
Posted 2007-12-18 4:37 PM (#64923 - in reply to #64906)

LX Scalloped bracing can be seen here

the non-LX T's are quintad bracing per the O website Sorry, couldn't find a pic of that.
bvince
Posted 2007-12-18 5:35 PM (#64924 - in reply to #64906)

Welcome Bill,

I live north of Cadillac. Like somebody else said, Your son is a lucky guy. That IS a very nice guitar, despite the flames (which I like and I'm going on 50). I'm sure that if you hang around here very long, you'll find there are a lot of very nice flavors of Ovation and Adamas guitars out there, including wood topped ones. There are so many good deals out there on Ovations, and for the money, there are no comparisons to the value and quality in a good US-made Ovation. It appears to be a (so-far) undiscovered secret. Take the time to check out some of the links here and you'll find lots of pictures of some very cool models. Once again ... welcome aboard!

Bryan
FlySig
Posted 2007-12-18 7:04 PM (#64925 - in reply to #64906)

OK, for reference, the bracing on my daughters GCXT (which is allegedly a 1778T-RF) is not LX. The main braces run longitudinally from the endpin to the neck, converging as they approach the neck. It has an A Frame kind of appearance. The preamp is the Op30.

The orange flame version was definitely a later version with the Op-Pro, so the bracing is unknown.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-12-18 7:13 PM (#64926 - in reply to #64906)

An instant way to ID what you've got:

If it has a truss rod cover, then it's an LX with X-bracing.
If NO truss rod cover, it's pre-LX and has the older fan bracing.

Either way, what a great guitar! Welcome to the club. John <>{
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2007-12-18 7:26 PM (#64927 - in reply to #64906)

FlySig : It has an A Frame kind of appearance.

But would n`t that be an "ADAMAS" bracing..?!..my 1537 has it ..
:)
bauerhillboy
Posted 2007-12-18 7:42 PM (#64928 - in reply to #64906)

Bill,
Another cool thing about that guitar...

Ovation hands the unfinished bowl over to this guy who has a custom paint shop...he does paint jobs on custom choppers. His shop does the flames. Then the factory finishes building the guitar.

So there is quite a bit of cost difference between your guitar and one that is finished with bowl paint. John <>{
geardaddy37
Posted 2007-12-18 8:31 PM (#64929 - in reply to #64906)

Thanks for the great welcome wagon, and a special shout out to my people in Algonac and Cadillac Michigan!!! Alot of good information which just reinforces my decision regarding this guitar. As a guy who is used to playing lots of high end, hand crafted guitars (cuz i live right down the road from Elderly instruments in Lansing...even though on my salary I will never afford one!) I can tell you I was immediately pleased with the sound and playability. Although the more I read from folks who own Ovations, the more I guess it shouldn't surprise me. Ovation really needs to get some better marketing!! They don't even have an ad in my latest Acoustic Guitar Magazine!
That was an interesting aside about the paint job and it really does look very cool the more I see it. I have to sneak glances at it late at night or early in the morning otherwise he may barge into my bedroom and catch me, and then the jig is up! As far as if it's got LX bracing or whatever I guess in the end it doesn't matter cuz whatever its got works for it! FWIW, it looks like it's got a solid maple neck and I don't see any truss lines or anything.
Weaser P
Posted 2007-12-18 8:46 PM (#64930 - in reply to #64906)

"Ovation really needs to get some better marketing!!"

...if we all had a nickel for every time that's been written! Welcome, GD, and feel free to preach to the choir all you want but you'll get no resistance here. It's a niche guitar company with a fiercely loyal crowd but don't expect them to try to compete with the Taylors', Gibsons or Martins, et al. This Homey don't play dat game. Which is fine - it keeps the prices down for all of us to enjoy more of their stellar work.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)