The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas tops

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Northcountry
Posted 2007-07-13 9:54 AM (#67597)
Subject: Adamas tops

An honest and, I hope, an interesting question? I checked the search but did not find a good answer so;
#1 are the Adamas Tops painted near the end of the production line or colorized during some other process in construction?
#2 If they are painted can someone please tell me the type of finish this is?? be it a lacquer or ???
#3 and again it depends on the answer to #1 does the Factory do any color touch ups on these adamas tops??

THanks Randy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2007-07-13 10:00 AM (#67598 - in reply to #67597)
Subject: Re: Adamas tops

#1 The tops are painted prior to construction.

Can't help with the other two. Sorry.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-07-13 10:12 AM (#67599 - in reply to #67597)

I can tell you the kind of paint - at least what is used on the Millenium - It is SEM Kandy Kote - Cobalt Blue. I imagine that the finish is something compatible with that paint. I was able to get the paint at an automobile paint store. I got the specs from John Budny.
Northcountry
Posted 2007-07-13 7:26 PM (#67600 - in reply to #67597)

Thanks, I will look into this a little more.
Randy
cruster
Posted 2007-07-13 10:21 PM (#67601 - in reply to #67597)

Didn't Dave post a while ago that he bought fingernail polish to match an Adamas top? I wonder what color that was.

I'd still like to know if they ever looked into a spruce-carbon-spruce top (inverse of the production tops, eh?), and if so, what the results were.
Tupperware
Posted 2007-07-14 8:10 AM (#67602 - in reply to #67597)

Originally posted by cruster:
Didn't Dave post a while ago that he bought fingernail polish to match an Adamas top? I wonder what color that was.
YUP! I did that. It's on the Adamas II Slothead. Jerome can tell you, doesn't it match up pretty well? I think it was right near the tip of one of the epaulets. I don't remember the exact color. I know I went to Target and bought about 6 different shades of baby blue. After the repair I gave them all to my daughter.

Dave
Beal
Posted 2007-07-14 8:36 AM (#67603 - in reply to #67597)

Gave them to your daughter, yeah, sure you did. Is that why you're wearing sox these days when you're not on the beach?
Tupperware
Posted 2007-07-14 10:49 AM (#67604 - in reply to #67597)

OK, I might have kept ONE shade for myself.
Northcountry
Posted 2007-07-16 10:28 AM (#67605 - in reply to #67597)

I am actually thinking of trying to add some of the dusty blue coloring to a fantastic Adamas 1 in the early #7 color which was called Beige. It has almost no blue coloring on it at all. I have three finish guns and a couple of nice air brushes I figure with a little experimenting and the correct color I can remedy this quite nicely. I'd ask the factory but I have a feeling it will be several months before I can get this done and I am already using this guitar for gig's.

Thanks the SEM candy coat in Cobalt Blue, Not sure what SEM is but I will find out soon.

Randy
CrimsonLake
Posted 2007-07-16 11:11 AM (#67606 - in reply to #67597)

Randy - SEM is the brand.

Sem Paints
Northcountry
Posted 2007-07-21 4:34 PM (#67607 - in reply to #67597)

Thanks for the Info Mike!
Question........ has anyone ever done this before?? Looks easy enough to do a test piece or two to get the right spray pattern possible using a shaped piece of carboard attached at the correct height to get the spray results I want as well. The tests will show me what gun to use how to get it looking good. I am curious to see if I can make this Blue look like it fades into the Beige correctly. From the way I am looking at it they must spray the blue first across the entire top, then the outer color sprayed toward the middle. I am reversing this process so I a keeping my fingers crossed that I can do it so it looks good.
If I can't get it right does SEM also make the beige color??
And is it OK to call the factory and bug them about colors and paints??
Again I'd send it off to the Factory but for what little it's worth... it is more of a hassel than a worthwhile job.

Randy

Any thoughts??
gerald
Posted 2008-01-13 2:05 PM (#67608 - in reply to #67597)

hi - did you ever finish your plan to spray the blue into the beige top? do you have photos. that is a great color.
gerry
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-01-13 2:37 PM (#67609 - in reply to #67597)

The way I heard the story was that Dave bought the guitar to match his fingernails, or maybe it was his lipstick or shoes. At least that's the story I've been telling about him. That reason was just as good as any other reason for Dave to buy another guitar. I think I'll add it to my least of justifications for another guitar. "I need this one to match my shoes, that one to match my pants, that one for this shirt, etc."
stephent28
Posted 2008-01-13 2:43 PM (#67610 - in reply to #67597)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
"I need this one to match my shoes, that one to match my pants, that one for this shirt, etc."
Seems to work very well for the women when they want to buy something new!
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-01-13 3:31 PM (#67611 - in reply to #67597)

If you're looking to just touch up a small area, you can go to an art supply and pick up a couple tubes of acrylic artist paint, like blue and white for an 8 finish, and mix it till it matches perfectly. You could conceivably make any color in the spectrum. Very durable stuff, and you can even match the texture cause its rather thick. (I knew something I learned in art at college would come in handy some day) :rolleyes:
Jérôme
Posted 2008-01-13 5:14 PM (#67612 - in reply to #67597)

Originally posted by Tupperware:
Originally posted by cruster:
YUP! I did that. It's on the Adamas II Slothead. Jerome can tell you, doesn't it match up pretty well? I think it was right near the tip of one of the epaulets. I don't remember the exact color. I know I went to Target and bought about 6 different shades of baby blue. After the repair I gave them all to my daughter.

Dave
The repair is near to be perfect!!!
To be really honest, I' didn't saw the missing part of the treble epaulet when the guitar arrived at home and I've seen it only several hours later...

J :)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)