The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Thinking of Buying an Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

chadivision
Posted 2010-12-23 4:01 PM (#2373)
Subject: Thinking of Buying an Ovation

Hi. I'll apologize up front for what's going to be a long post. Any replies are appreciated (and I don't expect you to answer every single one of my questions).

I want to get an electro-acoustic guitar. I'm strongly considering an ovation (but looking at some other brands as well--just started looking). I was originally thinking of spending about $450-$500, but the Elite TX series has caught my eye, and I'm willing to spend a little more if there's a big enough quality difference between that and the Celebrity series.

So here are a few questions, in no particular order.

Is there a big difference in sound and/or playability between these two lines? It looks like one of the Elite TX's will cost me about $600. How big of a difference can I expect? ($600-650 is about the top of my price range. Guitar is actually my third instrument, so spending much more than that really wouldn't make sense for me.)

Does anyone know somewhere in the Tampa, FL area that I can try out an Elite TX, maybe the 1778 or the 2078? I've called about four music stores, and they all have the Celebrities in stock, but the TX's are special order only.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what bowl size to go with. I'm mainly trying to decide between the deep one and the mid-depth. Do the mid depth ones sound noticeably thinner, or are they still pretty decent? From looking at them online, I think the recessed style of the Elite TX 2078 looks like it would be good, but I can't find a store around here with one in stock (and from what I can tell, that bowl style is not offered on the Celebrities).

I really don't like the idea of ordering a guitar that I've never heard or felt (although they did say I could return it with no restocking fee).

Sorry for rambling. Any input that you have would be appreciated. I'm dying to bring my new guitar home, but I'm still very up in the air about which one to buy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2010-12-23 4:16 PM (#2374 - in reply to #2373)
Subject: Re: Thinking of Buying an Ovation

Go with the TX series. They're basically the same as what was until very recently the USA LX models. Same specs for the most part, just built oversees. The celebs will be cheaper materials, electronics, etc.

Mid depth sounds very sweet indeed, just less volume. THe deep (contour) will fit up against your body without the "roll" of the roundback.

You're spot on with your choices. I recently let my 1778LX go to a member here (It was repaced by a custom elite C2078LX)You might even be able to find a used USA made LX at a decent price. I sold mine for under $700. The LXs should be in relatively good condition for used too(the LX has only been around 5 years or so now)

I can't help with suggestions on Florida music stores, but one of the other member might.

I'd give you full access to post, but my admin tool isn't working for some reason.

I'll send a note to one of the other Mods.
MWoody
Posted 2010-12-23 5:21 PM (#2375 - in reply to #2373)
Subject: Re: Thinking of Buying an Ovation

Just talked with a Dealer/Marketeer that has a 6774AX and a Legend AX new in case, warranteed and asking for $1K each. These were comp'd for advertising space and he needs to pay his printer.

What is the story on the "AX" units?

Welcome Chad, you post freely now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)