The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Help! ADii

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 12:28 AM (#503882)
Subject: Help! ADii

I own several guitars (about 30) and play professionally. I have mostly electrics, but I own a few acoustics that I use in my acoustic shows. Among these are a Takamine Artist from around 1990, an Alvarez Yairi, an American Breedlove C25 CReH, and an All DiMeola Ovation. I have had zero problems with the first three, but the Ovation has issues.
Keep in mind that this guitar is USA made, VERY expensive, and newer than the others except the Breedlove.
I tune down a half step and use very light strings (10-47). I don't leave it out in the cold. I baby it.
It is gorgeous, and in my opinion, the best sounding and playing acoustic I own.
Here is my issue:
The top is warping. It is actually sinking. It is very noticeable. It is all around the sound hole between the neck and the bridge. The neck is straight but the fretboard past the neck that is glued to the body dives down. It hasn't really affected playing but I don't think I should have this problem from a relatively new high end American instrument that is detuned with very light strings.
Is this common? Can I do something to fix it?
I am just sick over this.
The guitar looks brand new except for this and some minor pick scratches that will polish out.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 1:04 AM (#503883 - in reply to #503882)
Subject: Re: Help! ADii

By the way, I already talked to John Budny about it a few months ago. He said he could repair it. I just hate to be without it for an extended period of time. He also didn't say if it would cost me or be covered under warranty.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2014-12-18 1:16 AM (#503884 - in reply to #503882)

It's not normal, but if anyone can repair it, it's John, and it will be done right and from my experience reasonably priced.
Patch
Posted 2014-12-18 6:39 AM (#503885 - in reply to #503882)
Subject: RE: Help! ADii

Not knowing the history of the guitar makes this nothing but guesswork for me, but it's possible you are dealing with a sudden, massive humidity shift. I bought a guitar, way back when, that started to show similar issues, although not as extreme as yours sounds. I put a damp sponge in the body (DO NOT put it on the label!) and checked it every day. Once the top started to flatten out again, I switched to a standard soundhole humidifier. Eventually it looked fine.

I dunno if that's what's going on with yours, but it may be worth a shot. Otherwise, I can only recommend John Budny as well. I've sent many instruments to him and never once been disappointed with the results. In fact, I've usually been amazed with the results.

Good luck!

UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 9:48 AM (#503888 - in reply to #503885)

Thanks for the replies. I talked to John this morning. I will try the humidifier first. I'll let you know the results.
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-12-18 5:00 PM (#503900 - in reply to #503882)

Have you checked to see whether a brace has come loose? Get inside with a mirror or an endoscope and have a look. Might be worth gently jiggling each brace by hand to see if there is any movement. If you find one, do not, repeat NOT, glue it down until the top is nice and flat again - otherwise you'll lock in the warp.
UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 6:21 PM (#503901 - in reply to #503882)

Here are images to show what I'm dealing with. It is minor at this point. I just put two guitar humidifiers inside the guitar and I'll see what happens.
UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 6:25 PM (#503902 - in reply to #503900)

richard.parker - 2014-12-18 5:00 PM

Have you checked to see whether a brace has come loose? Get inside with a mirror or an endoscope and have a look. Might be worth gently jiggling each brace by hand to see if there is any movement. If you find one, do not, repeat NOT, glue it down until the top is nice and flat again - otherwise you'll lock in the warp.

I will check it better. I did check with my hand and didn't notice anything except the fact that there is very little bracing. It seems to be moving around the minimal amount of bracing that it has. I expected more bracing on a top this size....
This is my first high end ovation so bear with me....I am ignorant to these beasts....
UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 6:27 PM (#503903 - in reply to #503882)

John told me $3-800 to put a new top on it. Yikes! It appears that the limited lifetime warranty is pretty limited....lol
alpep
Posted 2014-12-18 6:52 PM (#503904 - in reply to #503882)

I noticed a lot of scratches on the top
do you also bang on the top?
if so
that can cause braces to come loose
UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 7:22 PM (#503905 - in reply to #503904)

alpep - 2014-12-18 6:52 PM

I noticed a lot of scratches on the top
do you also bang on the top?
if so
that can cause braces to come loose

I haven't banged on this guitar. The scratches are not as bad as the pics make them look. I usually wipe them off/rub them out pretty easily. This black top shows everything. John Budny said the black tops always look a little warped and that they arent really flat to begin with and they all move a bit due to humidity changes. The scratches are mainly parts of my pick since it's softer than the finish. I usually rub them off with a little guitar polish.
I am an aggressive player so a loose brace is possible. I will check it out after I let it soak up some humidity for a few days.
Again, the warping is minor and I have to hold it a certain way to see it. I took several pics to get it to show up. It still plays and sounds like a dream. I am just paranoid that it will get worse and I really expected this level of guitar to stay perfectly straight and only need truss rod adjustments every once in a while.
UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 7:42 PM (#503906 - in reply to #503882)

On another note, the binding has come loose from the edge of the neck in a few spots. Three spots totally. I glued it down and its all good and you would never know. That was right after I bought it. Another little thing I didn't expect from this top of the line USA model. One spot was on the treble side by the headstock. One was where two pieces met on the bass side at a fret dot marker. One was the curved binding at the end of the neck at the bowl.
It's like they forgot to glue it down. Pretty strange.
I own several Gibson and PRS electrics. I expect things like this from Gibson and I expect PRS to be perfect. I just assumed that this would be closer to PRS than Gibson quality.
The one thing I cannot deny is that it is beautiful and it plays and sounds better (plugged in) than any acoustic I've ever played or heard.
Other than the binding, the inlay work and fit and finish are immaculate. The binding was an easy fix and just disappointing. It does make me wonder if they used too little glue in other areas on this guitar though....like maybe on the braces....
Just a thought. Now I'm really gonna check the braces good now that I just remembered the binding issue....
UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-18 8:37 PM (#503909 - in reply to #503882)

Okay, off came the strings and I felt around. All the braces are solid to the top, but something was strange....
In went my camera. Whatever this perforated strip is that holds the multi-part braces to each other seems to be wrong. Maybe it's come loose? It looks bent? I don't know, but both sides are like that. Why aren't the braces solid pieces anyway? I'm sorry, but that seems like a crazy design destined for failure to me....and it obviously has failed....and it's likely going to cost me a small fortune....
Nice!
TAFKAR
Posted 2014-12-18 10:30 PM (#503911 - in reply to #503882)

Looks weird to me. I haven't seen that strip on any of my guitars (mind you, I've only looked inside two of them). Maybe an administrator could give you full access so other people can post here. Someone else with an ADII could post pictures of theirs.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2014-12-18 11:26 PM (#503913 - in reply to #503882)

I have seen similar strips on bracing inside of some of my older guitars.
Damon67
Posted 2014-12-19 12:39 AM (#503914 - in reply to #503913)

arthurseery - 2014-12-18 9:26 PM I have seen similar strips on bracing inside of some of my older guitars.

Those are on every A-braced guitar I've had, including the current ones, ADII, 1657, and R869 CL

glue seems to be an issue everywhere with this guitar. I would tend to think this was due to temperature and/or humidity changes, not a defect.  

UglyEarly
Posted 2014-12-19 1:40 AM (#503915 - in reply to #503882)

Never been left in the heat or cold. Not even in a car unless I was in the car with it. Rarely played outdoors. Humidity could be part of it but it is only out of the case when I'm playing it.
Are these metal braces bent or do they look normal? Are they just glued to the wood? (I wouldn't think they would glue metal to wood for obvious reasons).
If they are the issue, is there an easy fix?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Damon67
Posted 2014-12-19 2:45 AM (#503916 - in reply to #503882)

Keeping a guitar in a case doesn't protect it from humidity, that's why they make case humidifiers.

Every single one of my guitars is OUT of the case, and in a humidity controlled area.

Just an idea... ever had it loaned to a friend? That seems to be when I have issues. As a matter of fact, I had braces completely off my 2080 Adamas while it was on loan to a friend... in Arizona... who claims it was never in a bad environment either... yeah

As for the question on the metal pieces, I'm sure those aerospace engineers had some good reason for it. I'm not a luthier, so I send my guitars in to John if there's a need. His charges are comparable to the locals (and many times better), and he has the team with the know-how and toolset to get it done proper. I have a guitar in right now for a new frets and light cosmetic repair. The price he quoted was more than fair.

I've updated your status to full member. You might want to try your questions in the BFLG section. This section is reserved for newbies (which you no longer are), and there are only a handful of senior members that can respond to you here.

Good luck man
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)