The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Classical Strings breaking

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

cliff
Posted 2015-02-11 11:29 PM (#505561)
Subject: Classical Strings breaking

There was a NewGuy who recently posed this Question, but being that he's still locked in "Welcome Center Jail", I can't chime-in on his Question/Problem . . .

Check Your Temperature and Humidity, and make sure that it stays CONSISTENT.

I've got 3 Nylon String guitars, and found that they (oddly enough) are the most susceptible to Temperature/Humidity changes.

I've actually sat at MyComputer in th'middle of th'Night in my MusicRoom to be startled by a sudden "SPROING" from a NylonString just POPPING on a Guitar hanging on th'Wall. This happening when there is somewhat of a TemperatureChange, no matter HOW (seemingly) "insignificant".

$0.02
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iglupickin
Posted 2015-02-12 6:15 AM (#505565 - in reply to #505561)
Subject: Re: Classical Strings breaking

I had issues with strings breaking on my classical and I could only attribute it to old stock sitting on a shelf for a long time at a local music store. After buying some other strings from "JustStrings" I haven't had an issue. It is odd that in this case the same string is the issue repeated?????
robk
Posted 2015-02-17 7:59 AM (#505729 - in reply to #505561)
Subject: RE: Classical Strings breaking

Thanks for replying here! I posted the thread and it includes a full description of the issue along with some pictures of my guitar. I suppose the best thing for me to do is just post a link directly to the thread then people can reply here. Thanks!

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=34802&posts=17#M505728

(I don't see an icon for inserting a live link, so I guess you have to copy and paste it. Sorry.)

To reply to the comments above, it is always a wound string, never a nylon string.

Edited by robk 2015-02-17 8:05 AM
robk
Posted 2015-02-17 8:21 AM (#505730 - in reply to #505565)

iglupickin - 2015-02-11 7:15 AM

I had issues with strings breaking on my classical and I could only attribute it to old stock sitting on a shelf for a long time at a local music store. After buying some other strings from "JustStrings" I haven't had an issue. It is odd that in this case the same string is the issue repeated?????

Well, here is the weird thing; when I first bought the guitar I used "Extra hard" tension strings and a wound 3rd would always break. When putting on a new set I would always have to bring that string up to tension slowly--like over several hours. Then it would be good for a few weeks, but it would still always break. At the time, I think I was using Ovation strings (years ago..). I believe I complained to Ovation about this, thinking maybe it was just a batch issue, and they sent me several extra 3rds for free. But, the problem never went away.

As you will see in the original thread, at the moment it is a 5th that is broken, before that I think a 4th. I see I have D'Addario strnigs in the case, so I assume that's what I have on it now. Note that I had gone to a set with a nylon 3rd to try to circumvent the issue with the wound 3rd always breaking. So now a different wound breaks, LOL! Please read the thread for all the details. THX.

Edited by robk 2015-02-17 8:26 AM
moody, p.i.
Posted 2015-02-17 11:40 AM (#505734 - in reply to #505561)

I've been following this thread for a while. Strings don't just break unless they are really old or played really really hard. There has got to be a "guitar" based reason for the breaking on your guitar, either a sharp point on the tuner spindle, or the nut, or the saddle. I would take the guitar to a good luthier and let them look at it. They will find the reason and in all probability, it will be one of those three reasons.

I always use extra hard tension strings on a nylon. They never break.

Edited by moody, p.i. 2015-02-17 11:41 AM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2015-02-17 2:34 PM (#505744 - in reply to #505561)

It could even be something as silly as how you put them on. Might not be the case here, but there was a time when I would needle-nose pliers to assist in dropping the ball end into my Kahler termolos... turns out... if I was in a hurry, I would grab the twist in front of the ball and if I squeezed to hard, it created a weak spot, especially on the higher strings. It only took a couple of times to realize what I was doing, but that could easily been a mystery to solve if I didn't catch myself doing it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)