The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Strings too high on W598

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

Matt_B
Posted 2015-08-13 9:45 AM (#514293)
Subject: Strings too high on W598

So I restrung my W598 last night, with 6 string so I can use it for finger picking and when I pulled out the saddle to remove shims I found that there were no shims. The problem is the strings are too dang high.

The string height at the 1st fret is fine and the relief is fine too (darn near straight). I haven't broken out my ruler to measure the string height at the 12th fret but just eyeballing it's twice has high as I would like, based up

On my 1597 and 597, if have no shims under the saddle the string will be sitting on the fretboard. Something is off with my 598.

That begs the question of what to do next. My first instinct would be to have the saddle pocket routed out so the saddle sits lower because compared to my other Adamii the saddle sits much higher. I don't see the guitar needing a neck reset because the of how the high the saddle sits in the bridge with no shims.

Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DetlefMichel
Posted 2015-08-14 5:50 AM (#514315 - in reply to #514293)
Subject: Re: Strings too high on W598

I think that the w598 has a bolt-on neck. So a neckreset is really not a big thing . If the guitar has "set" with the time (which is quite common to 12string guitars) is is the best solution to adjust the neck angle. In the end you will have nice string action and a better string angle on the saddle which will improve the dynamics of the guitar dramatically.
Too bad you want to play with 6 strings, there´s nothing better than the 12string Adamas sound.
Matt_B
Posted 2015-08-14 6:56 AM (#514316 - in reply to #514293)

Thanks for the reply.

The fingerboard is attached to the top so a neck reset is a big deal. The top and neck look find so I don't feel the neck angle has changed.

As I said before the saddle sits a lot higher in the bridge than my 597. Just eye balling I'd say the difference is almost double and that's with the 597 having a 0.0295 shim in it.

The guitar has never had action as low as my other Adamii but because it's a 12 string I didn't pay it much attention. I believe the saddle slot has been too shallow from the beginning.

Edited by Matt_B 2015-08-14 6:57 AM
Matt_B
Posted 2015-08-14 10:15 AM (#514323 - in reply to #514293)

I just got off the phone with a luthier friend back East and he has worked on lots of Ovations over the years (used to work for one of the biggest Ovations on the East Cost). I'm going to take a straight edge from the neck to the bridge and see how that plane intersects. I'm also going to compare the saddle heights from the top of the bridge on the 598 and my 597. Whatever the fix needs to be he can do it so I'm going to send it to him one way or the other.
Matt_B
Posted 2015-08-14 12:50 PM (#514332 - in reply to #514293)

BTW, I will be put this guitar back into 12 string mode. I'm just working through the process of figuring out what I want for a fingerstyle guitar because Ovation, specifically Adamas, doesn't offer anything that fits my needs right now.
MatureWolf
Posted 2015-08-26 4:51 PM (#514764 - in reply to #514332)

Hi!

I owe both W598 and Q598 (as well as handful other Adamii).

W598 usually equipped with "new type" of ebony bridge. Please see the photo - left is "new" type (shims sats on the bridge), whilst right is "old fashion" bridge (shims sats on the top)

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=1236&photoid=5488

There are other photos here in my album.

If you want to lower down action - your luthier CAN sand (drill) down the wood until the carbon top (so there is some space, 1mm or more). Surely, this is safe enough.

BTW Herr Detlef (Hallo Michael, mein freund!) suggested you the best way - try to reset the neck (or ask your luthier to do so) to have 1-2 shims under the pickup ;-)

Best,

Alex.

Edited by MatureWolf 2015-08-26 4:53 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)