The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Picked up a blonde

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> Ovation Electric GuitarsMessage format

Glen C.
Posted 2015-09-23 12:58 PM (#515460)
Subject: Picked up a blonde

Just picked up a blonde Viper. It is supposed to be an original Viper but the owner had broken the pickguard at the output jack and had to replace it. The replacement did not have VIPER engraved on it.
There is nothing stamped on the back of the headstock so where do I find the serial number. Under the pickguard or in the neck pocket?
Also there is no neck plate and the bridge has a screw through the body to adjust the bridge angle.
It is in good shape and I will post pictures this weekend.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-09-23 1:30 PM (#515461 - in reply to #515460)
Subject: Re: Picked up a blonde

The broken pickguard at the output jack is very common. The jack is supported only by the pickguard and sits right between two screw holes, so it doesn't take much to crack it. The early ones had the Viper engraving, but later ones didn't, so finding a replacement with the engraving may be impossible.
I don't know about a serial number if you don't have a neck plate. Does it have the original volume and tone knobs? If so, want to trade?
Glen C.
Posted 2015-09-24 8:37 AM (#515484 - in reply to #515460)

Hooked it up to an amp last night and all the electronics work fine. By comparing it to pictures on the web it appears to have the original control knobs, somewhat large top hats with numbers on the skirt and Volume and Tone labels on the top. Don't really want to modify this one so I'll keep the original knobs.
The missing heel plate is a mystery as all the internet pictures I have found have one. There is no indication there was ever a heel plate.
I know words aren't much help without pictures so I'll post some this weekend.
This is the 14th guitar I have rescued and all of them have some issues that need to be addressed. When I retire next year I am going to be busy playing BFLG

Edited by Glen C. 2015-09-24 8:38 AM
daveed
Posted 2015-10-01 3:57 PM (#515734 - in reply to #515484)

Glen,

I have two blondes, a 1271 and 1273. Great guitars. Enjoy.

Dave
Mick-Yorkshire-UK
Posted 2015-10-18 5:35 AM (#516310 - in reply to #515734)

Daveed,
I have two blondes too!!! Both have cost me a small fortune over the years. First one I picked up a few years back - lovely to look at and great playability. Second one is a more recent addition; a gift from my eldest son. Both are keepers and part of my long term collection.

I call one Mandy, she's my wife and the other is Georgia, our 10 year old granddaughter.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)