The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Folklore Restoration and a Tuners?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

JustKim
Posted 2015-09-29 6:57 PM (#515686)
Subject: Folklore Restoration and a Tuners?

So, I'm trying to fix up this old 1114-4. The Mothership was kind enough to provide a new nut and saddle (Can we say best customer service EVER? They were at my door less than 48 hours after first contact!) and now I'm on the lookout for new tuners.

I was going to only replace the buttons, but the present tuners are very stiff and herky-jerky.

I found a set on FleaBay, and also some NOS on Al's site. BUT, they have the metal shafts where as the existing tuners have the plastic/nylon looking shafts. Are they interchangeable, or do I need to keep looking?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DanSavage
Posted 2015-09-29 9:51 PM (#515687 - in reply to #515686)
Subject: Re: Folklore Restoration and a Tuners?

Your best bet is to contact Al Pep and ask him it the plastic can be removed.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2015-09-29 10:27 PM (#515688 - in reply to #515686)

It's the other way around. Until about 1977 Ovation used the same tuners for the classical guitars and the Folklores. The steel strings slip on the plastic. See if you can get pieces of tubing to adapt the newer tuners to the larger holes for the older ones. I've never taken mine off, but you could take one off and see what you can see.
JustKim
Posted 2015-09-30 9:13 AM (#515699 - in reply to #515686)

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the middle of moving my work area, so I haven't taken anything apart yet, but I'll check it out as soon as I can. I'd prefer the metal shaft tuners if I can figure out how to make them fit properly.
seesquare
Posted 2015-09-30 11:23 AM (#515708 - in reply to #515699)

As a representative of the BFLG (Bottomfeeders Luthiery Guild), I suggest you find yourself a piece of roof flashing (about 18 ga sheetmetal), & cut a set of strips, the same length as the circumference of the existing rollers, until you find "better" replacements. Wrap them around the rollers, & you're good-to-go! There are probably bushings that are the right size, but it will take a bit of research.
JustKim
Posted 2015-09-30 11:46 AM (#515711 - in reply to #515686)

Bushings are probably the way to go. Once I get everything apart and buy the replacement tuners, I'll go over everything with calipers and spend some time searching for the proper size.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)