The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas 1687-8

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

a Dios
Posted 2010-12-01 2:49 PM (#2484)
Subject: Adamas 1687-8

Hello!

I have been smitten by a guitar for over a decade. Recently I realize that guitar is an Ovation Adamas I 1687-8. (Im actually 99% certain it's -8) there's a slight chance that it could be 1687-7. Anyhow. I never had enough money to afford one but now i am looking. I wanted the classic and not the new reissue. Does anyone have any idea where i can obtain one of these?

ps: how do the new reissues compare to the old ones?

thank you so much for any input!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2010-12-01 2:57 PM (#2485 - in reply to #2484)
Subject: Re: Adamas 1687-8

I've had both the reissue and an original. What I have now is an original, so that should tell you something.

-8 is blue, -7 is beige.

There's no single source for these - you just have to scour eBay, Craigslist, etc. and hope you come across one. They occasionally (but rarely) come up for sale here. One of the members here very recently offered one, along with a companion 12-string , but withdrew the offer after reconsidering it. Who knows, he might still be persuaded.

Good luck with your search. They are truly great guitars.
a Dios
Posted 2010-12-01 3:01 PM (#2486 - in reply to #2484)

Oh wow i see.

Thanks for the reply.

That confirms my initial desire to want one of the originals. I have been looking but with no luck.

May i ask what i should expect to pay for one if i ever find one or if one of the members re-offers it?
G8r
Posted 2010-12-01 3:15 PM (#2487 - in reply to #2484)

Don't get me wrong, the re-issues are very, very good. It's probably just the 30 years of mojo, being played on the road, that gave the one I have the edge. In all likelihood, the RI would sound just as good after 30 years of play.

I've seen these go from as little as 1100 to around 3000. A lot depends on how early they are (serial numbers in the early hundreds generally command a higher price), and of course their condition.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-12-01 4:02 PM (#2488 - in reply to #2484)

The question always is, what are you looking for from your guitar? You can buy a new reissue with a warranty for $2-$3000. You'll have a great guitar w/ no problems ever. A modern preamp as well.

But it takes time for a guitar to open up, even an Adamas. You can buy an original for $1500-$3000, but you might have to put some money in it. If you're planning on gigging with it, you might want to up grade the electronics. You'll have a great sounding guitar, but no warranty.

It all depends on your needs and your wallet. Trust what Gator says. In almost everything, he's spot on right.....
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2010-12-01 4:34 PM (#2489 - in reply to #2484)

ding!
a Dios
Posted 2010-12-02 9:49 AM (#2490 - in reply to #2484)

Appreciate the comments folks

~It's just been a dream since i first laid eyes on that guitar. So i guess there's sentimental value in having an original. But since guitars are meant to be played and from my experience an ovation sounds better plugged in, i might give the reissue a try if i can find a really decent price.

So just purely from aesthetics view, do they look identical? the original and reissue?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)