The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock - Custom Legend

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

TJR
Posted 2015-11-15 8:58 PM (#518613)
Subject: David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock - Custom Legend

A short intro/insight to his new album, "Rattle That Lock"

https://youtu.be/-myA5PtYZ0A

His Custom Legend is shown, but unfortunately not being played ref : 2:42 , 3:33, 8:22

... TJR
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jimmer
Posted 2015-11-16 3:48 PM (#518627 - in reply to #518613)
Subject: RE: David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock - Custom Legend

He's playing the Custom Legend in this video of Comfortably Numb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLubs84QFzk

I had a link to an interview where he was talking about some of his guitars. He said he wasn't a big fan of that Ovation but he'd written Comfortably Numb on it so he still plays that song with it. The link from that interview has since been pulled from YouTube. I think that guitar sounds great on Comfortably Numb.

Here's a link to what looks like the same concert and an all acoustic version of Wish You Were Here with a Tak 12 String and an Taylor 6 String. You can see the Ovation on a stand. Oh and I really like the Cello.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EodytPmki5s

cliff
Posted 2015-11-17 5:00 AM (#518638 - in reply to #518613)
Subject: Re: David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock - Custom Legend

I saw Floyd (a coupla'times) during the "Animals" Tour in '77. On that tour, Gilmour, Waters, (and "Snowy", th'ancillary Guitarist on th'Tour) were all using Ovation 6's & 12's on any songs (or passages) that required acoustic guitar(s). So, it would make sense if that song was written during that tour (or shortly thereafter). That particular Ovation (played only on th'Choruses) is strung "Nashville" to reproduce the guitar-sound of the original recording . . .
TJR
Posted 2017-06-11 10:16 PM (#535495 - in reply to #518613)

I thought I should bring this thread to the top again after watching a recently uploaded David Gilmour Wider Horizons BBC documentary. I'm sure you will want to watch the whole thing but at the 55 minute mark there is some super cool info about the origins of Comfortably Numb and later a short clip about his ovation guitar and his genuine enthusiasm about it.

Also, note at 56:30, the familiar brown case!

https://youtu.be/ibewmq8YQd8
Cavalier
Posted 2017-06-13 10:45 AM (#535514 - in reply to #518613)

Saw him last year at the Hollywood Bowl. a great show.
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-06-13 8:39 PM (#535520 - in reply to #518613)

@TJR - "recently uploaded David Gilmour Wider Horizons BBC documentary"

An awesome documentary... thank you for posting the link. I didn't know very much about Glimour, but the documentary is so casual and candid that it makes it very easy to learn a great deal about him in a comfortably numb sort of way. And his wife, Poly Samson.. oh my.. instant crush. What a terrific lady she is. The Ovation he wrote Comfortably Numb on was being played left-handed by the guy in the documentary he was working with.. but I didn't notice any left-handed playing by Gilmour himself, so I am assuming the Ovation was possibly refitted to the left for the guy who was playing it at the time, or maybe just a right-handed guitar being played on the left. Anyway, thanks again for the link!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)