The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Celebrity CC54i iDea dissassembly

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

arumako
Posted 2016-02-06 10:07 AM (#521950 - in reply to #521941)
Subject: Re: Celebrity CC54i iDea dissassembly

Cavalier - 2016-02-05 2:51 PM

Carbon fiber uni would use smaller braces and fewer for the same strength for sure. I think you'd have to take into account that the new material could need a new pattern to take advantage of its properties.

I think you're right Cavalier. Not one to give-up so easily, I've outlined a basic bracing pattern based on the Quintad bracing with 3 main bracing pieces (in orange) and 3 tone braces (in green).

new pattern

The bracing surface area is 34% lower to "soften-up" the rigidity of the CFRP braces and bridge (may need to route under the bridge in strategic areas to relieve it from it's "hyper" rigidity as well). The braces will be much shorter and thinner too. T2, T3 & T4 (un-marked) will be no more than 3mm in height, 2mm wide at the base and tapered to 1mm at the top. B2 & T1 are designed to jump over the bridge area to make sure the extreme rigidity is not killing resonance. It's going to be difficult to bring out the bass response in the guitar, so I'm leaving the bass area as clear as possible. Bracing will be added if necessary in the areas shaded in red.

Frankly, I have no idea how this will all sound, but the spruce top has a pretty sweet tap tone, and with some tweaking, I might be able to get this thing to sound half-way-decent. Even if it doesn't work out, I sure am learning a bunch! Great fun!

Edited by arumako 2016-02-06 10:19 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cavalier
Posted 2016-02-06 10:34 AM (#521952 - in reply to #520356)

Looks good! I What do you think about keeping the braces recessed under the soundhole? Visually they would be less noticeable. I'm not sure filling in the notch will do much right there.

Tone wise I'd expect carbon bracing to increase the high end definition and perhaps sustain. It should be possible to try different configurations or materials if it doesn't work out, if your nerves can stand the removal process!

Edited by Cavalier 2016-02-06 10:35 AM
DanSavage
Posted 2016-02-06 11:02 AM (#521953 - in reply to #521937)

arumako - 2016-02-05 8:55 PM

White Pine = WP; Sitka Spruce = SS; Yellow Birch = YB; Carbon Fiber = CFRP

...and compared 6 physical characteristics of the material:

Specific Gravity: WP - 0.35; SS - 0.40; YB - 0.62; CFRP - 1.5
Density (g/cubic cm): WP - 0.400; SS - 0.432; YB - 0.689; CFRP - 1.585
Compressive Strength (psi): WP - 4,800; SS - 5,610; YB - 8,170; CFRP - 15,954
Bending Strength (Gpa): WP - 0.0593; SS - 0.07; YB - 0.114; CFRP - 10
Stiffness Strength or MOE (Gpa): WP - 8.55; SS - 11.03; YB - 13.86; CFRP - 135
Specific Strength [Pa/density(kg/cubic meter)]:
WP - 148,250
SS - 162,037
YB - 1,661,829
CFRP - 44,164,037

Since you're into model plane building, I'm sure you already know this stuff; but I think what this means is that CFRP is too strong. The material has excellent strength-to-weight (specific strength) characteristics, but it's just too stiff! I was thinking I could fabricate a bridge out of a piece of 3K Twill 70% CFRP block that I have 2"x7"x0.5"; but since a bridge is essentially a "brace", that will stiffen things up quite a bit. Combined with CFRP braces...maybe too stiff?

I think the stiffness figures are for a given size. Yes, you're correct. I am familiar with CF.

I think using CF for braces would work fine, but you would want to do one of two things. Either, use very thin CF laminated to the wood (top and/or bottom) or, if you use CF alone, use very thin pieces so that you get some flexibility to the top.

If you google for carbon fiber guitar braces you'll see that there's a lot of people experimenting with CF.

For testing, the first thing I would do is simple deflection testing. Take a piece of spruce that's the size of a brace and clamp one end to the work bench. Next, hang a weight off the free end and measure how much it deflects. Then, do the same thing with a piece of CF and use different thicknesses until you get the deflection you desire.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with using CF for a bridge. Yes, it will be stiffer than wood, but if you want it to have the look of CF, but the flexibility of wood, just reduce the thickness until you get what you want.

Even though CF is stiff, it will still bend. It's just stiffer than most other materials for a given size. What makes CF popular is that you can reduce the size which reduces the weight, but still retain the same stiffness. I'm sure if you use the same principle for your braces, your experiment will be successful.

Carry on.
tpa
Posted 2016-02-06 5:41 PM (#521965 - in reply to #520356)

Since the body is still on the soundboard you have the option of using a speaker and a sinus generator and sweep through a frequency interval to check for resonant modes to see how the braces change behavior. Another property to check is temperature expansion. You will not want the top to move depending on temperature.

Edited by tpa 2016-02-06 5:44 PM
arumako
Posted 2016-02-06 11:12 PM (#521973 - in reply to #520356)

Thanks for the advice regarding the cross-going brace and bellybulge, tpa. On my 1868 the sound board curled up at the sides because there was no cross-going brace. Kind of the opposite of a bellybulge. I'm going to cut and shape some small CFRP braces that can be added. I think if I keep the cross-going brace low and thin, it will work out pretty well.

And your suggestion about the sinus (the same as a tone generator, right?) generator is also great advice. As a matter of fact, it will help me to be concise about my brace placements and shapes without putting strings on the guitar! They even have on-line tone generators that work pretty well. Which means I'll want to pre-cut and shape a variety of braces to test.

Dan, thanks for the verification. I was afraid the CFRP material was way too stiff to be practical; Do you use carbide tipped tools when working with CF?

Thanks for the interest and the tips folks! I'd be lost without the BFLG!
BanjoJ
Posted 2016-02-06 11:56 PM (#521976 - in reply to #520356)
Subject: RE: Celebrity CC54i iDea dissassembly

Double post

Edited by BanjoJ 2016-02-07 12:00 AM
BanjoJ
Posted 2016-02-06 11:57 PM (#521977 - in reply to #520356)
Subject: RE: Celebrity CC54i iDea dissassembly

I was interested to see the bracing in my ute. The braces vary in height along some braces, and the long braces are different to the short braces.

(Braces-07S.JPG)

(Braces-08S.JPG)

(Braces-09S.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Braces-07S.JPG (60KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Braces-08S.JPG (61KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Braces-09S.JPG (65KB - 0 downloads)
tpa
Posted 2016-02-07 4:40 AM (#521980 - in reply to #521973)

Yes, tone generator. Nowadays I believe You can find a tone generator on-line to work with your PC sound card.
arumako
Posted 2016-05-30 11:20 AM (#525575 - in reply to #521941)

Cavalier - 2016-02-05 2:51 PM

...Careful though, as I remember some of those honey tree efforts came to a sticky end.

Hoping to avoid the sticky end, and there is still a long, long way to go, but materials are prepped and in order...

materials

The CFRP bridge and braces are going to be especially challenging; but if I don't botch it up, the purfling and binding should work out pretty nicely. Maybe a fall 2016 completion. Gonna take it real slow...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)