The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1615 action

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member Communities -> Bottom Feeding Luthiery GuildMessage format

Moscow
Posted 2016-01-22 6:50 PM (#520566)
Subject: 1615 action

Happy New Years!

I haven't played my 1615 twelve string lately due to high string action. So, with the new year I decided I needed to tackle making some adjustments. First step was to check the neck. It wasn't too bad (0.015" at the sixth fret) but I thought, might as well see if I can improve that a bit. I should mention I'm a real novice at messing with the truss rod/sadlle/ cutting slots in the top nut area so I was a little hesitant. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. And not destroying my Ovation was a top priority. Opened the top truss rod access only to find my socket was too thick to slip on the nut. Remembering rule #1, don't do anything stupid, I buttoned it back up and proceeded to look under the sadle for shims. Until very recently, I had no idea there were shims under the pickup/sadle, factory installed. I found three totalling 5/32" and removed all of them. My reasoning being, they could always be put back in. Retightened the strings, tuned it up and what a world of difference! I'm going leave well enough alone, forego any thing with the top nut at the moment and play it for awhile. 

So,a couple of questions for those that do their own:

1) is there a special tool for the truss rod nut?

2) Are there specs somewhere on setting string height or checking action? I realize it's a subjective sort of thing but I'm looking for general settings

3) favorite string set for your 12-string Ovation? I've been tuning mine down to DGCFAD lately. I would like to try a lighter gauge set.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Explorer
Posted 2016-01-23 11:50 AM (#520585 - in reply to #520566)
Subject: Re: 1615 action

I always figured that if strings weren't floppy, thinner strings are better on a 12.

I switched to D'Addario EJ41 Extra Lights, which at 9-45 are the lightest sets I'm aware of.

I've consistently tuned to E standard and have never had a problem.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-01-24 7:56 PM (#520608 - in reply to #520566)

The truss rod is for correcting a warp or bow in the neck, not for adjusting the string height. There is a lot of information on adjusting the action on this site and it used to be on the Ovation site. Or you might try StewMac or one of those sites. String height is somewhat personal. Light strings and a low action might cause buzz if you play hard. You could add a shim or use heavier strings.
Moscow
Posted 2016-01-26 2:32 PM (#520695 - in reply to #520566)

Thanks Mark and TJ.

TJ, I can't remember what I have on the 1615 now, but I just noticed my backup set of strings are extra lights, though they are Martin Silk & Steel. I'll keep the D'Addario's in mind for the next string change. I like to keep a full set around for backup. When I change strings I buy a new set which becomes the backup.

I wasn't suspecting anything to be wrong with the neck, Mark. I was just running through a setup routine suggested by Thomas Becker where he points to the importance of the correct order to setting up an acoustic guitar, aka action. http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.... Seemed a reasonable argument to me so I thought I'd check. I did come across videos on Ovation's Youtube channel by Adam Turbiner. There was one on Truss Rod Adjustment and another on Setup. Done sometime in 2011. In fact, I learned of the factory installed shims for the first time watching the video on setting the action for the Ovation. Pretty informative stuff.

DetlefMichel
Posted 2016-02-01 11:43 AM (#520810 - in reply to #520566)

Many old Ovation 12string guitars tend to have a "hump" behind the 12th fret and sometimes you cannot play them with the minimum string action. If luckily not, the best string action for the E6th at 12thfret with D tuning is 2,5mmto 2,25mm.Less makes no sense, and little more is not too bad.
Very good strings are the Thomastik "Plectrum" AC 211. You may use them also one halfstep de-tuned without having too much stress on the top.These strings are designed for old or weak guitar tops.The only thing you must know is that the Thomastik strings have no coating and need to be cleaned carefully after playing (fast fret or similar). But the 12string sound is incredible and they are very comfortable to play.
Moscow
Posted 2016-02-24 3:19 PM (#522458 - in reply to #520566)

Thanks Michel for the string recommendation and action height. I'll have to check the height again tonight. Speaking of coating on strings, have you (or others) tried the Elixir Nanoweb Light 12-String Acoustic Guitar Strings? They run 10-47. I've heard good things about the brand in general, especially concerning their Nanoweb coating.
DanSavage
Posted 2016-02-25 11:00 AM (#522484 - in reply to #520566)

I use Elixir Nanoweb strings almost exclusively on all my guitars. I like them. They sound good and the coating does help keep them from corroding, but then I've got pretty dry hands, so sweat isn't really a problem.
MarkM
Posted 2016-03-09 11:27 PM (#522809 - in reply to #520695)

Moscow - 2016-01-26 2:32 PM
I was just running through a setup routine suggested by Thomas Becker where he points to the importance of the correct order to setting up an acoustic guitar, aka action. http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.... Seemed a reasonable argument to me

Becker credits Bryan Kimsey for much of his procedures. I find Kimsey's extensive notes a worthwhile read.
http://www.bryankimsey.com/ "Luthiery" "Setup"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)