The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Trying and Buying New USA Ovations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

bauerhillboy
Posted 2016-02-06 2:05 PM (#521957)
Subject: Trying and Buying New USA Ovations

I have had a strong thing for Ovations since I was 15. So when '08 hit us all... and then The Factory closed, I sunk into something of a malaise. My heart jumped just a bit when the re-opening was announced, but I was guardedly optimistic at best.

Is it busy in New Hartford...even if way scaled-back compared to the past? And are people buying the new guitars? If I wanted to buy one, where would I go? I don't see any "presence" out in the marketplace. Encourage me please.

Edited by bauerhillboy 2016-02-06 2:06 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-02-06 2:13 PM (#521958 - in reply to #521957)
Subject: Re: Trying and Buying New USA Ovations

The imports quality is way up and I understand all the usual GuitarCenter, Musicians Friend, Sweetwater folks are selling those. Alpep of LostArtVintage.com is one of the founders here and he is taking orders for the new USA models. I think it's going to be quite some time before they are seen in stores again as people are buying them before their even being built at this point.
360Ovation
Posted 2016-02-06 11:04 PM (#521972 - in reply to #521958)

Mr. Ovation - 2016-02-06 2:13 PM

Alpep of LostArtVintage.com is one of the founders here and he is taking orders for the new USA models.

By "new USA models," do you mean the 50th Anniversary models ONLY, or are they taking orders for standard USA models that were "pre-DW" ownership?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-02-06 11:29 PM (#521974 - in reply to #521957)

Which do you want?
Al can order you a 50th Anny if there are any left...
(there are supposed to only be 50 of each flavor)

Or, Al has "New" Ovations listed from the old daze... so he may have some left.
http://www.lostartvintage.com/Categorys.aspx?categoryid=8&categoryi...
He also has some nice looking Used Adamii and Ovations.
http://www.lostartvintage.com/Categorys.aspx?categoryid=10&category...

Al would be the person to ask if you want to know what Al has.
360Ovation
Posted 2016-02-06 11:39 PM (#521975 - in reply to #521957)

Thanks, OMA - I've been to Al's website before, and haven't seen any left-handed O's (or A's) there... I was asking about standard models because I'm wondering if there will be NEW 2016 standard models made, and will there be lefties (a question I asked on another thread here directed at Bill X, but never got an answer from him or anyone else at Ovation).

Just curious, that's all. I'm sure others are, too.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-02-07 12:03 AM (#521978 - in reply to #521957)

You would think that if you ordered a new guitar, they could make it lefty.
I know that there were very few left-handed production models listed in the old days...
But I seem to remember on one of the original (pre-flounder) website that they said that they could make almost any Ovation as a left hand model.
Of course, back then Zehrco-Giancola was making the bowls in Ashtabula OH, so they could just order a lefty bowl or three with the next order.
As to new DW USA Ovations... I think that they could hand-lay a lefty bowl.
Also, non-cutaway bowls... You can easily make a lefty out of a regular bowl.

If you want a prompt answer from from New Hartford, call or email John Budny.
Jbudny@DWdrums.com -or- 800-552-4681
d'ovation
Posted 2016-02-07 9:41 AM (#521985 - in reply to #521957)

With a current staff of 7 Ovation is in the boutique builder group which means low volume and relatively high prices, but most likely also implies more options for customization. I assume there will be little to none guitars in inventory but rather that interested buyers will get on a list and their instrument be produced at some time after.
Standingovation
Posted 2016-02-07 9:57 AM (#521986 - in reply to #521957)

I doubt you will see many "try before you buy" USA Ovations.

If they follow the same model as other small builders, the dealers will be able to tell you what they ordered in their pipeline to be delivered in the months ahead and if you want to claim one of these you throw down your credit card and wait. If you want something custom you simply throw down mode money and wait longer.

Yes its a bit of a gamble, but the guitars will be of such limited availability and such high quality that even if you don't love it, you can probably resell for close to what you paid. At least that's my guess.
Damon67
Posted 2016-02-07 1:40 PM (#521991 - in reply to #521957)

The story is really no different than before. I never once saw an Adamas hanging in a store for me to try out.

Best bet... make friends with someone here who's getting one. I myself am thinking I need to go visit Nancy. She's amassing quite the collection. That's how I always tried the rare ones, via OFC member, and or Gathering. I've played priceless Original Slotheads, FUDs, UTEs, OFC 1 & 2s, and so many other wonderful Os and As, but NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THESE EVER IN A STORE.

All USA Ovations will be rare ones going forward. Adjust your brain accordingly. If you're looking for a standard Legend/Custom Legend, Elite, etc., they are made overseas now. I do not see production of those models coming back to America any time soon if ever. But rejoice! The imports are of a much better quality now and affordable for the masses.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-02-07 5:21 PM (#522005 - in reply to #521957)

I was totally Lucky to have had access to Apple Music Row (now closed).
Chuck, in the acoustic shop, actually Liked Ovations.
I had seen New production models, also used and new Adamii in his shop.
(aah, the good ole daze) Chuck canceled his contract when Fender bought KMC.
Otherwise, I have never seen a new USA Ovation in any other guitar shop.

From here on out I doubt that there will be any new USO's available to try at your local shop.
We may have to quit being such snobs.
On FaceBook there are many people worldwide who are just pleased as punch with their AX and TX Ovations and Celebrities.
Nancy
Posted 2016-02-07 8:51 PM (#522007 - in reply to #521991)

Damon67 - 2016-02-07 1:40 PM

The story is really no different than before. I never once saw an Adamas hanging in a store for me to try out.

Best bet... make friends with someone here who's getting one. I myself am thinking I need to go visit Nancy. She's amassing quite the collection. That's how I always tried the rare ones, via OFC member, and or Gathering. I've played priceless Original Slotheads, FUDs, UTEs, OFC 1 & 2s, and so many other wonderful Os and As, but NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THESE EVER IN A STORE.

****Spewing the Dew****

I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair, but at the same time, I realized this was probably one of the highest Compliments I have ever received, Thank You Damon! It helps to have the Best Advisers in the World to teach you, and no significant other to have to ask!

The Nan-Cave has it's own Bedroom and full bath. I would advise waiting until June to come up North, I just don't think you Southern people can handle what we consider cold up here LOL!!!! But other than that, you are very Welcome here!

I would actually love to listen to you put these babies through their paces! I am losing my Nephew in Law (that is sad...), and will miss his concerts very much. He says he will still come down and play them, but we all know how that goes...

Edited by Nancy 2016-02-07 8:55 PM
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-02-07 10:15 PM (#522014 - in reply to #521957)

Damon's not from the South. He's from the Great Wet North(west). You still haven't made it down to Boise, Damon. It guitar room has a bathroom, too, but only a hide-a-bed and no shower.
Nancy
Posted 2016-02-08 8:49 AM (#522015 - in reply to #522014)

Thanks Mark! I didn't know where Jet City was, for some reason, I always thought he lived in CA, so you and I can plan Damon's Trip!

He can go to Boise first (I Love Idaho, so Beautiful), then stop in to see Fly Sig, and Nerdy Dave in Utah, and then go see the Folks over in Colorado, the Professor and Elginacres, see 360Ovation in Nebraska, then swing up here to Minnesota, Slipkid, can you come down here while Damon is this far out? (I am not sure if I could handle both Damon and Slipkid in one town at the same time, my neighbors might ask me to leave..) Then head over and see Canterbury Strings, then drive down to Wyoming and Rock the Devil's Tower (now that would be something I would buy tickets to!), then head back up to the Great Northwest by way of Montana and across by Lake Coeur d'Alene in the northern part of Idaho! Hit Washington for some apples, then head on home!

Just a Hop, Skip and a Jump for Damon!

Edited by Nancy 2016-02-08 8:50 AM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-02-08 9:09 AM (#522016 - in reply to #521957)

I've actually taken my bike from Seattle to Sprit Lake, Iowa and back over a weekend. Piece'o-cake... I wish I knew where everyone was along the way at the time. Did it with a car a few years ago... even tastier cake.
Nancy
Posted 2016-02-08 9:49 AM (#522018 - in reply to #522016)

Mr. Ovation - 2016-02-08 9:09 AM

I've actually taken my bike from Seattle to Sprit Lake, Iowa and back over a weekend. Piece'o-cake... I wish I knew where everyone was along the way at the time. Did it with a car a few years ago... even tastier cake.

PLEASE tell me that you mean a motorcycle and not a bicycle???
(My nephew rides his bicycle out West from MN for fun, I think he is insane, but he is young...)
360Ovation
Posted 2016-02-08 9:51 AM (#522019 - in reply to #521978)

Old Man Arthur - 2016-02-07 12:03 AM

You would think that if you ordered a new guitar, they could make it lefty.
I know that there were very few left-handed production models listed in the old days...
But I seem to remember on one of the original (pre-flounder) website that they said that they could make almost any Ovation as a left hand model.
Of course, back then Zehrco-Giancola was making the bowls in Ashtabula OH, so they could just order a lefty bowl or three with the next order.
As to new DW USA Ovations... I think that they could hand-lay a lefty bowl.
Also, non-cutaway bowls... You can easily make a lefty out of a regular bowl.

If you want a prompt answer from from New Hartford, call or email John Budny.
Jbudny@DWdrums.com -or- 800-552-4681

OMA,

This was true UNTIL Ovation came out with the Contour Bowl design; there have NEVER been ANY left-handed Contour Bowl guitars... which is too bad': at the time I really wanted to order one. As much as the contour bowl, I loved the new, more C shaped neck profile these had. But they never relented to those of us lefties who begged for these...

...as to no more standard USA Ovations: this will just keep the used market a healthy source for some of us who can't justify springing for a +$3K US built guitar anymore (by anymore, I mean at this point in my life - I'm 58 - and in this "new economy" many of us are suffering through...).
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-02-08 1:06 PM (#522021 - in reply to #521957)

I think the last new Ovation I tried in a store was a VXT at the local Guitar Center and they didn't know how to set it up so that you could try the magnetic and acoustic pickups and switch back and forth. There might have been a couple of Celebrities after that, but none were memorable. I bought my 76 Matrix after trying it in a store in 1977. Thirty years later I bought my next new Ovation from Al, the OFC 1. I also bought the LAV Koa untried, based on comments on this board. My 2010 Limited Edition was new, but ordered from Sweetwater by a local guy who lost his job and couldn't afford to pay for it.
Like Damon, I've played more Ovations at OFC gatherings than I've played in stores.
Cavalier
Posted 2016-02-08 3:35 PM (#522026 - in reply to #521957)

I'm still trying to figure out how Damon picks which guitar to play, talk about options. Saturday I got to plink on his US Ovation mandolin and a 6773 which was much appreciated. The BC Rich Mockingbird is a good fit for him on rock with a little something more in the tone department.

As a kid I did get to try out a Adamas in the local store when they came out just because I was lucky enough to be there on the day they unpacked it. I only got about 10 minutes though, because of my junior status.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-02-08 4:03 PM (#522028 - in reply to #522018)

Nancy - 2016-02-08 7:49 AM

Mr. Ovation - 2016-02-08 9:09 AM

PLEASE tell me that you mean a motorcycle and not a bicycle???
(My nephew rides his bicycle out West from MN for fun, I think he is insane, but he is young...)

Yes Motorcycle, one that can still wear the Made In USA badge... so no, not a Harley (just rib'n some friends on here who ride)..
Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-02-08 5:38 PM (#522033 - in reply to #521957)

I'd like to stop by Damon's Ovation collection again next July, but since I'll be up there for our daughter's wedding, I don't think I'll be allowed the time.
I was invited to fly up next month, but I envisioned a mother/daughter shopping trip, so I declined. Future son-in-law isn't into guitars, so I don't think I should try to get him to drive me over to Damon's like he did last time.

For those of you who haven't been around that long, we've had several OFC gatherings discussed in a separate forum. They started with the factory tours and then we had a few in other parts of the country. There were even a couple on Amelia Island, when Beal lived in Florida. I need to plan on driving around the country and bothering OFCers when I retire.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-02-08 6:33 PM (#522036 - in reply to #521957)
Subject: RE: Trying and Buying New USA Ovations

Our guest room is ready as well.... and it's the room with the guitars in it

(20151201_235100[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20151201_235100[1].jpg (76KB - 0 downloads)
nerdydave
Posted 2016-02-09 12:16 AM (#522044 - in reply to #521957)

Nancy I think you should be the one to take the tour you outlined so well. You know everyone's location already. Of course it might be hard to decide which guitars to leave behind. You would have to content yourself with only a select few for the duration of the trip. Not sure if you could handle that??
ProfessorBB
Posted 2016-02-09 7:56 AM (#522045 - in reply to #521957)

I've entertained a number of OFC members here in the band room in Denver. All are welcome. Big selection to choose from. Bring your sunglasses.
fillhixx
Posted 2016-02-09 11:16 AM (#522048 - in reply to #522036)
Subject: RE: Trying and Buying New USA Ovations

Mr. Ovation - 2016-02-08 4:33 PM Our guest room is ready as well.... and it's the room with the guitars in it

the view is lovely from that bed.

depending who you're with....

Mark in Boise
Posted 2016-02-09 11:51 AM (#522050 - in reply to #521957)

elginacres made it from Colorado to Seattle and back in a long weekend. Not as long as Seattle to Iowa and back, but pretty good for a school principal driving a Honda Odyssey with a couple hundred thousand miles on it. The older I get the more time I need.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)