The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas and DEET

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

d'ovation
Posted 2016-06-19 1:35 PM (#526102)
Subject: Adamas and DEET

I love sitting outside on my patio in the summer evenings and playing a bit of guitar. But now we had some good rainfalls and mosquitoes have been emerging and are becoming a nuisance here. Last summer my preferred guitar was a Guild Orpheum which has a very delicate nitro finish. So there was a constant struggle to balance my desire to play with dealing with mosquitoes, and with protecting the guitar from the detrimental effects of DEET (which dissolves some plastics as well as nitrocellulose finish quite quickly). Now this summer, I quite enjoy playing the 1687 outside, and I am wondering if I can apply DEET freely or if there are any components of the Adamas that might be affected if they get in contact with DEET covered skin?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
leonardmccoy
Posted 2016-06-20 12:14 AM (#526124 - in reply to #526102)
Subject: Re: Adamas and DEET

I would advise caution since DEET is an effective solvent known to dissolve painted or varnished surfaces. But perhaps someone has first-hand experiences with DEET here.
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-06-20 6:30 AM (#526125 - in reply to #526102)

WAIT.. STOP... NO!! My wife owns a salon and has commented before on how she has seen ladies' nail polish actually bubbled and peeled right off after applying a DEET repellent. It usually requires acetone to cut through polish, so as for the Adamas-type finish being damaged by DEET-- I would strongly think YES, especially if exposed repeatedly. I like a good porch swing strum too; and we sometimes have a mosquito problem at our lake house.. annoying little mazzards.. but personally I think I would just go play my guitar inside before I would put that stuff on my skin! Anyway, I have found that a simple table fan blowing directly on me works wonders. It doesn't have to be set at gail force wind speed or anything, but just enough of a breeze to foil their aerodynamic ability to linger or land. So there's my $.02 worth with a wish of good luck to ya.
elginacres
Posted 2016-06-20 10:45 PM (#526165 - in reply to #526102)

DEET also does a good job of cleaning those hazed car headlights!....
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2016-06-22 12:16 PM (#526214 - in reply to #526165)

I lived on Hilton Head Island for years and played mostly outdoor gigs.... notorious area for no-see-ums. At first, I found myself dousing myself in DEET 6, 7 days a week. One day I noticed that it was beginning to remove the finish from the neck. Couple of spots down to bare wood. Said to myself, "damn, wonder what that's doing to ME?" My solution was to add a high volume fan to my setup and that worked great. A little noisy and chilly on late fall evenings... but easier on my guitars and neurology.
Geostorm98
Posted 2016-08-02 5:00 PM (#527021 - in reply to #526102)

DEET can work as a solvent on plastics, finishes or any delicate coating. Keep it the heck away from your guitar at all cost. I learned this the hard way, DEET actually burned some of the plastic housings on one of my telescopes.
Standingovation
Posted 2016-08-03 11:44 AM (#528039 - in reply to #526102)

... yet perfectly safe for humans and pets.
Waskel
Posted 2016-08-03 12:36 PM (#528040 - in reply to #526102)

Standingovation - 2016-08-03 9:44 AM

... yet perfectly safe for humans and pets.

...according to the FDA. And their statement of approval is worth every penny they were paid to say it.

Edited by Waskel 2016-08-03 12:37 PM
muzza
Posted 2016-08-04 10:43 PM (#528064 - in reply to #526102)
Subject: RE: Adamas and DEET

We get our house and property sprayed with a mosquito specific surface spray 4 times a year.  We live outdoors here 10 months of the year.

They used to be a huge problem, but if we get bitten now, it means its time to spray again.

Definitely worth the money if you're serious about a life on the porch.  No more DEET or smelly mosquito coils.

You'd have to investigate for yourself what's available in your area, as your local restrictions would be different to Australia, and other States.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)