The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Elixir Phosphor Bronze

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

leonardmccoy
Posted 2016-08-26 12:16 PM (#528424 - in reply to #528085)
Subject: Re: Elixir Phosphor Bronze

leonardmccoy - 2016-08-05 2:42 PM

I'll give the nickel bronze strings by D'Addario a shot and report back here in time.

To follow up on that, I finally strung up my L717 with the new D'Addario nickel bronze strings after treating my baby to a full-on cleanup and hugging routine.

Sporting great pitch stability, the nickel bronze strings really begin to shine at the high frequencies and overtones, not so much on the low end of the tonal spectrum. They are tonally a bit too bright for me (still acceptable though, not 80/20 bright), so that I'll stick with my rather mellow EXP16 - nicely thumpy and swampy - but that's just personal preference.

Edited by leonardmccoy 2016-08-26 12:28 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2016-08-26 1:58 PM (#528430 - in reply to #528424)
Subject: Re: Elixir Phosphor Bronze

leonardmccoy - 2016-08-26 10:16 AM

I'll stick with my rather mellow EXP16

Me, too. The EXP16s have exceeded my expectations. I avoided coated strings since most are somewhat dull or slippery beyond my taste; that is, until I met the EXP16s. Since I'm largely a "thumb strummer" (hitting anywhere from just above the bridge to well up the neck), it doesn't take long for the wound stings to clog from micro skin particles and oils, even if the hands are well washed before playing, but the EXP16s don't seem to have that problem and also seem to come quite clean easily with a perpendicular directional damp linen cloth wiping after playing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)