The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
2098 AV40 - So how does it sound?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-08-12 3:04 AM (#528177)
Subject: 2098 AV40 - So how does it sound?

Well I haven't had a chance to record it yet. I could just plug it in, but having spent about an hour with it plugged into my Helix, listening with headsets, I'm not sure plugged in would do it justice.

Don't get me wrong, it's amaze-balls plugged in, I'm just not sure that translates well without seeing what I'm playing. It also needs new strings and probably a new battery... but I digress.

The best description I can give is that it reminds me of listening with a good pair of studio monitors like my Event 20/20's. It's not that there is a signature "warm" or "cold" or "boom" or "sparkle" but rather a you hear everything. Every nuance. Subtle hammerons while playing a chord are not lost. Finger picking, none of the notes are run together. Even a subtle vibrato technique is heard clearly. Articulation is the word that keeps coming to mind. To me this is what an Acoustic guitar should sound like.

I set the pre-amp with the EQ flat. At only point I added a 60's spring reverb model into the signal that's when I really noticed the articulation even more and had to back off the mix of the reverb, because it was just exciting a bit too much.

Now many of you know I've had on OFC II (2080) for many years, and I had an OFC I. I would have to do a side-by-side, but I think I like the tone of this new 2098 the best. The bowl of the OFC II may have been just a little deeper and I recall that it "boomed" which sounded fantastic as well but I seem to recall is sounding "deeper" in tone too. I'm not sure I like the cannon affect with the deep tone. This one has a very balanced tone.

I sure hope all of the guitars coming out of CT sound this good.

As far as fit and finish... I went over this entire guitar with a flashlight in hand and wearing my magnifier headband that I use when working on electronics. I just kept saying to myself... "WOW". There are seams where wood comes together that you wouldn't notice how many pieces it was unless you were looking with a magnifier. The whole neck joint from the heel to the way the neck lays on the top, is a work of art.

Well that's all I have for now. Time to break out the pre-amps and the Nuemann mic's to record some of this.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
arumako
Posted 2016-08-12 10:55 AM (#528178 - in reply to #528177)
Subject: RE: 2098 AV40 - So how does it sound?

Mr. Ovation - 2016-08-11 5:04 PM

...It's not that there is a signature "warm" or "cold" or "boom" or "sparkle" but rather a you hear everything. Every nuance. Subtle hammerons while playing a chord are not lost. Finger picking, none of the notes are run together. Even a subtle vibrato technique is heard clearly. Articulation is the word that keeps coming to mind. To me this is what an Acoustic guitar should sound like.

Oh man, thanks for sharing Mr. Ovation! Your review is of such great interest - in light of the significant and historic models that you own, your comparisons provide special insight even for a guy like me who's never owned or played any of these great instruments. I hope you're able to share some of the sound bites of the recordings.

Awaiting with mental anticipation!
ovie26
Posted 2016-08-12 8:16 PM (#528188 - in reply to #528177)
Subject: Re: 2098 AV40 - So how does it sound?

Wow, Mr. O! Sounds amazing! In fact, your description reminded me of this:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=youtube+woody+allen+sleeper...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)