The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Lost a dear friend to cancer-want to find a loving home for his Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

DebbieS
Posted 2016-12-16 10:06 PM (#531305)
Subject: Lost a dear friend to cancer-want to find a loving home for his Ovation

Hello OFC,

We lost a dear friend to cancer, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, and COPD.  When he knew he was dying, he asked my hubby and me to find a loving home for his guitar... one where his 'baby' will be played, not just left in the case!  We promised him that we would get a decent amount for his widow.

I contacted the Ovation guitar website, and they called me back, and recommended your site.  I'm hoping I've come to the right place.

It's a beautiful 1981 Vintage Ovation 1657 Anniversary Edition, and I'm hoping someone here could tell me if that's the 10th Anniversary?  I want to have the specs right to post it for sale.

He would be very happy to have the guitar played... we already have an Ovation and a few other guitars, and don't have the room or the money to buy it.

Please let me know if I've found the right place!   I will be happy to make a donation if I manage to sell it. Thank you so much! 

Sincerely,

debbieS

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-12-16 10:44 PM (#531306 - in reply to #531305)
Subject: Re: Lost a dear friend to cancer-want to find a loving home for his Ovation

Yup... this is the Place.

If it is a 10th Anniversary Edition it will say that on the label.

If you are trying to sell this guitar...
How much do you want for it?
What is the condition?
Where are you located?
How much is Shipping?
Can you post Photos?

DebbieS
Posted 2016-12-16 11:37 PM (#531308 - in reply to #531306)
Subject: Re: Lost a dear friend to cancer-want to find a loving home for his Ovation

Dear Arthur,

Thank you for your reply!  It says "The Anniversary" but doesn't mention 10th on the label..  not sure how to attach the photo - it's similar to yours. 

We're in NJ.. I'd have to find out what the shipping would be; based on where it's going, I presume.  We'd like to get $900 for it if possible.

Here are some more particulars:

1981 Vintage Ovation 1657 10th Anniversary Edition A/E

Serial # 234246

Manufacture date: 1981

Specs:

·         Top: Sitka Spruce

·         Scale Length:25 1/4″

·         Fretboard :Ebony

·         Ivory Binding

·         Fret Inlay:15 Genuine Abalone

·         Bridge:Carved Walnut

·         Pickup: Stereo Piezo

·         Nut width:1 11/16″

·         Machines: Deluxe 24K Gold Plated

·         Deep bowl body

·         Official Ovation hardshell case included.  (inside case strap needs repair)

It has 3 small dings on the top, near where the strap peg connects, and some very minor wear under the strings between the 1st & 3rd strings… hardly noticeable. 

Not sure how to post photos on here... with my email program, I just drag and drop them into the messsage body.  I tried that, but it just opened the photo to fill the window and occluded my message, so I had to hit the back radio button.

Thanks again for any info you can provide!

Sincerely,

DebbieS
Posted 2016-12-17 12:06 AM (#531309 - in reply to #531306)
Subject: Trying to attach/post a photo

... is this working?

I found an HTML editor, dragged the pic into it, and am now posting the link..

guesswork here.  I couldn't find any way to upload the photo.  When I clicked on picture, it requires a link.
Hope this works: file:///C:/Users/Deb/Desktop/JOhn's%20Guitar%20Ovation/100_1817.JPG

it doesn't look like it wll; it's referring to my C drive.

Any suggestions on how to post a photo would be greatly appreciated! 
Thanks so much!

Debbie 

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2016-12-17 12:35 AM (#531310 - in reply to #531305)

The 10th Anniversary is just the "Anniversary".
20th Anniversary is 1986. 30th Anniversary is 1996. 40th Anniversary is 2006.
50th Anniversary is this year.

There is a button below that sez "Attach a file after posting"
If you check that you will be able to browse your files and attach photos.

OR (and I do this)
You can load the files to another image hosting site like Photobucket or whatever...
Then you can post the link here.
Be sure that your photo is marked as "Public"

DebbieS
Posted 2016-12-17 5:43 PM (#531313 - in reply to #531310)

Thanks so much for your help, Arthur!  I tried loading the photos into Snapfish, then right-clicked to copy image location, and the URL that came up didn't work when I pasted it into a new URL window.  I'll try photobucket and see if that works.

I actually checked the "attach file after posting", but wasn't able to attach them... is there another command I need to access to do this?

Thanks again, Arthur; I appreciate your patience and help!

Sincerely, 

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-12-17 7:05 PM (#531316 - in reply to #531305)

Well we posted at the same time. I saw the post you created for the For Sale section and moved it there, you are also a full member now.

You might want to check sold prices on eBay and prices on Reverb for similar guitars. We sure aren't the price police, and we hope you get what you are asking, but I would check around a bit. A search for "1981 Vintage Ovation 1657" should be pretty enlightening.
DebbieS
Posted 2016-12-18 8:00 AM (#531319 - in reply to #531316)

Dear Miles,

Thank you for your help!  I really couldn't find a button for Posting to the For Sale section... what does it look like?  
I'll check eBay and Reverb prices; thanks for the tip!  We had called Ovation, and they said without seeing it - it would be worth approx. $600-1,000.  We're only putting a $1,000 because his widow could use the money.

We used to jam with the owner, John, for years... he was a great guitar player and could make that baby sing!  He loved playing harmonics in between, and it lit up his eyes.  He always took very good care of it, and if cancer and IPF hadn't gotten in the way, I'm sure he'd still be playing.

If I find that the price I posted is too high, can I edit it?  I didn’t see an ‘edit’ option…

Thank you for your kindness!

Most Sincerely,

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2016-12-18 12:57 PM (#531328 - in reply to #531305)
Subject: RE: Lost a dear friend to cancer-want to find a loving home for his Ovation

Just go to the for sale forums... Click here

While you can't edit your posts (well you can for a few minutes after posting). you can always reply to your own post and add more info.  If you need a price edited, you can just post that and one of us will take care of it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)