The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Replacing Nylon Strings

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

stellarjim
Posted 2016-12-22 9:38 AM (#531402)
Subject: Replacing Nylon Strings

Just curious...if you have a nylon string guitar, do the nylon strings need to be replaced? I was thinking about how the strings would not corrode like metal ones do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
d'ovation
Posted 2016-12-22 9:44 AM (#531403 - in reply to #531402)
Subject: Re: Replacing Nylon Strings

I have not used a nylon string guitar in many years, but when I played one frequently I noticed that the wound strings go dull and unpleasant quite quickly, and a fresh set improved the sound markedly. Also the wound strings used to be silver based/coated and oxidized quickly and after a while just looked unappealing. So yeah if I still used a nylon string guitar I would change strings as soon as they did not sound or look good anymore.
hwebster
Posted 2016-12-22 10:40 AM (#531407 - in reply to #531402)

I have played nylon string guitars for years. If you play mainly nylon you will note the wounded strings become dull and the sound turns opaque. If you use a pick, these worn out very quick. +1 D'ovation. Fingerstyle (clean hands) if you have that habit, ~ every 6 months. H

Edited by hwebster 2016-12-22 10:42 AM
BCam
Posted 2016-12-22 10:50 AM (#531408 - in reply to #531402)

Also, be aware that nylon strings take a little longer to stretch out and settle in than steel strings so be prepared to constantly retune for several days.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2016-12-22 12:22 PM (#531413 - in reply to #531402)

If you play a nylon string guitar regularly, then you'll need to change the strings about every 3 months (at least I do). The difference will amaze you. Both the wrapped strings and the nylon strings will go dead over time and become hard to tune.

Changing them takes a little time but is pretty easy. Here's a video showing the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98tEv7xtgkI&t=4s

And they do stretch out over time. Have a tuner available every time you pick it up. But when you stop having to tune it up, it's probably time to change them. I get about 3 months out of a set, but by that time, I'm thinking that the guitar sounds really crappy. My current set has been on almost a month and still sound great. I'll probably think about new strings by the end of January.
BCam
Posted 2016-12-22 8:06 PM (#531426 - in reply to #531402)

I enjoy the ads I see on Craigslist and ebay that advertise a guitar as having "original strings" as if it's a good thing. I guess it could e a sign that it hasn't been played much but it's funny nonetheless.
stellarjim
Posted 2016-12-22 8:37 PM (#531428 - in reply to #531402)

Thanks everyone! Sounds like its time to hit Reverb or Strings Are Us to get some new Nylons.
stellarjim
Posted 2016-12-22 9:01 PM (#531429 - in reply to #531402)

Wow....anyone care to make a recommendation on brand, gauge and "Hard or Normal" Tension. My nylon string guitar is a Viper EA 63.

Appreciate the help.
Mike S.
Posted 2016-12-23 1:29 AM (#531431 - in reply to #531429)

Hi, StellarJim,
I would recommend SAVAREZ, or AUGUSTINE REDS. Nylon strings all have various gauges. BASS strings, and TREBLE STRINGS, often within the same set of Nylon Strings, are like APPLES, and ORANGES. Nylon String choice, and/or tone is a very personal/subjective thing, as it with Steel String guitars. NORMAL TENSION suits most nylon string/classical guitar players. HARD TENSION strings, as the name suggests, have more tension over the entire string's length, and are thus, harder to play. At the same time, they also produce much more volume, and are used by players like LIONA BOYD for churches,/concert hall tours. You may have to try several sets before you actually find something you like. My classical guitar teachers in Toronto told me that "unless you are a virtuoso concert artist, or play with a pick? you cold leave the strings on for as longs as 6 months, or until they became,'floppy'. Your ear will always tell you when to change the strings."
Mike S
Ottawa, ON.
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2016-12-23 1:54 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)