The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Craigslist Adamas

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

jamrcat
Posted 2017-01-09 1:49 PM (#531822 - in reply to #531819)
Subject: Re: Craigslist Adamas

First of all sorry about your sale but: I played an adamas 12 string for over 30 years. I have banana like fingers and never had a problem. I purchased a longneck 6 string from Arthur a couple of years ago and sold it because of the fatigue I would get playing the longer scale after 30 minutes or so (The first four frets are quite a bit wider). I can't imagine playing a 12 string longneck without having even more fatigue. Anyways that's my 2 cents!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-01-09 6:41 PM (#531831 - in reply to #531499)

Samuels,so sorry to hear about your adamas I've been in that boat before and it's hard to decide what to do,it's a rare guitar so ideally it would be worth fixing,I bought a project Adamas I 1587 off feebay a couple years ago knowing it would need work and sent it to the mothership and it plays great with a few cosmetic issues,it had a lifted top,clean over the suspension ring with an action that was sky high and they worked wonders on it,i think I paid $650 to get it repaired and if was worth every cent of that to have it done right.
If I were you my big concern would be the bowl that's a really weird looking spot where it meets the neck,contact john budny at the mothership,send him some good pics and he can give you an idea what it would take to fix it,see how much the seller will come down on price and if that will pay for the repairs it might be worth keeping,tough call good luck.

here's a couple low res pics of what my adamas looked like before repair,if you want pics of the finished guitar feel free to PM me

Edited by 2wheeldrummer 2017-01-09 6:58 PM

(IMG_0481.JPG)

(IMG_0482.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0481.JPG (51KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0482.JPG (55KB - 0 downloads)
Todd G.
Posted 2017-01-09 8:09 PM (#531834 - in reply to #531499)

Man, sorry to hear this thing wasn't close to what I thought it would be. Let us know what you decide to do with it.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-01-09 8:23 PM (#531835 - in reply to #531499)

That's terrible! It would be interesting to know how that happened, but I doubt anyone would say. It looks like its had some real abuse. I hope John can tell whether it can be fixed and how.
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-01-09 8:52 PM (#531837 - in reply to #531835)

Mark in Boise - 2017-01-09 8:23 PM

That's terrible! It would be interesting to know how that happened, but I doubt anyone would say. It looks like its had some real abuse. I hope John can tell whether it can be fixed and how.

I would bet it was left in a very hot environment,car trunk maybe,and the bowl deformed under the stress of the strings causing the top to separate and the bowl to crack,just a guess on my part.
I can't believe they didn't list the damage in the ad or on the phone

Samuels
Posted 2017-01-09 11:07 PM (#531844 - in reply to #531499)

Thank you so much everyone. I emailed John as soon as I posted my update on here. I will be sending it down to the mother ship to be restored as soon as I can get a case for it. I don't think that I'll be able to get very much back from the store in way of compensation unfortunately, but I fell in love with this guitar the second I saw Todd post the link. It's part of the family now and I need to treat her right.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2017-01-10 11:31 AM (#531859 - in reply to #531499)

If I look at the bridge I would say that something was gone very wrong with that guitar. I bet there is a belly in the top, too, and it seems to be in need of a neck-reset. I would not be surprised if some of the braces were loose.too. I would remove the strings immediately and give the guitar to John Budny.
Samuels
Posted 2017-01-10 11:19 PM (#531893 - in reply to #531499)

Thanks Detlef, the guitar is very nearly on it's way to the mother ship. Oddly enough the bridge and top belly are mint, it's as if someone applied a lot of force from the top of the head stock and pushed it into the body. But even the head stock is pristine. You are right though, it will be getting a neck-reset and any potential braces repaired. This will be my first guitar I send and get from the mother ship, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited haha!
DetlefMichel
Posted 2017-01-11 4:07 AM (#531896 - in reply to #531893)

Don´t be afraid, If you get a guitar back from John "Gandalf" Budny it will be as new. I once send a heavily mistreated ´82 collector´s to these guys and what I got back was a gem of a guitar, with perfect setup. I would have bought this 12string and have it it sent to the mother if I had found it before. This is a very rare to find guitar and a must-have for any 12string aficionados.
Geostorm98
Posted 2017-01-11 1:31 PM (#531912 - in reply to #531499)

We've had forum members send in Ovations for repair and the level of repair work needed was such that the only thing they salvaged from the guitar was the neck...I think I remember reading that here..? Basically a new guitar.
jay
Posted 2017-01-11 2:11 PM (#531916 - in reply to #531912)

George, I think that happened with Paul on one he sent in.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)