The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
international shipping

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Mario
Posted 2017-01-06 9:59 AM (#531744)
Subject: international shipping

So I am asked how much to ship to Russia. When I check UPS it says $1200 shipping! How the hell does anyone ship there with that kind of cost? What am I doing wrong? I know some of you guys have done this. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Mario 2017-01-06 10:00 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-01-06 1:49 PM (#531753 - in reply to #531744)
Subject: Re: international shipping

Maybe UPS is telling you not to ship to Russia.
jay
Posted 2017-01-06 1:57 PM (#531754 - in reply to #531744)

Have you tried USPS? I have shipped several guitars to different countries and have found the post office to offer great service at a price that is about a tenth of what you quoted.
Disclaimer... It has been 3 or so years since I have done this.

Love O Fair
Posted 2017-01-06 2:31 PM (#531755 - in reply to #531744)

Sounds about right. We shipped two pair of ice skates to St. Petersburg a while back and the cost was $570. It's better if you can find someone you trust who is heading that general direction (Europe) who can carry-on, then simply drop-ship from there for about 1/2 or less of the USA shipping cost. But that's skates. Guitars on the other hand... hmmmmm.. you definitely don't want to check a guitar as baggage, so that would require closet space on the plane which isn't near as pricey, but still extra. Know anyone headed that way?

Edit: The shipping was UPS.

Edit again: What Jay said about the USPS works great for a lot of countries.. we've done that too. On the other hand, "mailing" to Russia in particular.. roll the dice on that one since once it gets into the Russian postal system it's a crap shoot on a lot of fronts, including huge delay times and item/packaging condition upon arrival. The Russian postal folk just love to open up and dig through American parcels. With UPS the company watches closely and company supervisors fire people for screwing up. That's why they cost so much. The Russian postal system, on the other hand, the supervisors usually just want to know that they can get out of it.

Edit #3. Jimmer (post below) got a good mailman.. lol. Certainly not that it can't go smoothly.. it can.. just beware.

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-01-06 2:51 PM
Jimmer
Posted 2017-01-06 2:42 PM (#531756 - in reply to #531744)

Last month I shipped an Ovation to Moscow that I sold to a OFC member. It cost $185 including insurance. I believe it shipped USPS via international express and it arrive in about a week or so.
Mario
Posted 2017-01-06 3:11 PM (#531758 - in reply to #531744)
Subject: RE: international shipping

Thanks guys!
Mario
Posted 2017-01-06 3:11 PM (#531759 - in reply to #531744)
Subject: RE: international shipping

Thanks guys!
doobie78
Posted 2017-01-06 5:42 PM (#531768 - in reply to #531744)

For this price, you can directly catch a plane and deliver it yourself
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-01-06 10:14 PM (#531774 - in reply to #531744)

I've tried to get quotes for international shipping before from fedex,UPS and DHL they ranged from $800 to $1200 when I tried to get one from USPS it came up as the package was to large to ship,it's crazy!!!!!!
The only successful way i've shipped a guitar overseas was by selling it on feebay and using there global shipping program,buyer paid all fees so I can't say how much it cost but it couldn't have been as ridiculous as the shippers want to hose individuals for.
Jimmer
Posted 2017-01-10 4:22 PM (#531875 - in reply to #531744)

Here is how I shipped my Ovation to Moscow.

USPS Priority Express Mail International

Dimensional limit for international parcels: Length + Girth <= 108" (where Girth = (W+D)*2). Most guitar cardboard boxes meet this requirement, e.g. 48"-50"H x 20"W X 9"D.

Weight limit – 70 pounds

Customs declaration - "USED GUITAR AND CASE" insured for the selling price.

Cost was ~ $185 including insurance.

Pack carefully!

Loosen strings a whole step. Put something between the strings and the body. Bubble wrap around the headstock and extra bubble wrap around the neck and on the body so nothing moves. Completely fill the box with foam or bubble wrap or peanuts so that the case doesn’t move.

I brought the guitar all packed up to the Post Office in town and they helped me fill out the paperwork.

It arrived in 11 days.
d'ovation
Posted 2017-01-10 4:58 PM (#531877 - in reply to #531744)

Thanks, Jimmer for the info.

I find the shipping costs in the US amazingly low. When I considered shipping an Ovation to the mothership for some warranty repairs the shipping (with Canada Post) would have been so high, that it was more reasonable to just have a partial fix done here by local luthier. Shipping costs in Canada are just nuts compared to the U.S. I would not even consider selling a guitar online here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)