The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Name That Celebrity (take 2)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Oddball
Posted 2017-01-06 10:58 AM (#531745)
Subject: Name That Celebrity (take 2)

Sorry about the earlier bungled post.

I recently got an older Celebrity Elite for pretty cheap. Only thing wrong with it was a chip in the bridge, scuffs on tail and really, really old strings. After general cleanup and new strings, dang, it sounded pretty good. And I really like the feel of the deeper neck. Was going to resell it, but it's currently the first guitar I grab when I feel the strummin urge coming on. Go figure

I wonder if you all could help with a model ID. There was no label inside (I pulled off the manhole to be sure.) And I can't find any other number anywhere else.

Thanks much.

Well shoot - I've tried every which way from Sunday to post a photo here and can't seem to figure it out. Pics of this guitar are over in Albums under "Oddball"

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-01-06 11:59 AM (#531749 - in reply to #531745)
Subject: Re: Name That Celebrity (take 2)

It looks like a Celebrity Deluxe, not a Celebrity Elite, to me. There is no way to match a Celebrity serial number to a date of manufacture. Check out the Ovation Tribute cite for information on the OP24+ preamps. That should at least give you a range of years when that preamp was used.
arumako
Posted 2017-01-07 10:00 AM (#531776 - in reply to #531745)

Hi Oddball...took a look at your album pics. The binding, gold tuning pegs, OP-24+, and the slightly thicker neck definitely suggest a CC247-5. Probably built between 1995 or 1996 in Korea. Here's the link to the catalog on the Ovation Tribute site...

http://www.ovationtribute.com/Catalogues/1995_Ovation_Jp_Vol_1_Cata...

You'll see the CC247-5 on page 6 (page no. printed in lower right corner of the catalog). In Japan, these were called Blue Label Celebrity Deluxes. They were/are quite good for the money. The AB, AS, WB, YB and 5 color schemes had black bowls (like yours) while the others had brown colored bowls. I have a CC247 in the GS color scheme with a brown bowl. I bought it damaged for 150 bucks; and like you, intended to sell it after repairs. After converting the neck to a bolt on neck, fixing the alignment and doing miscellaneous repairs on it, I kinda got attached to it, and haven't been able to give her up. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours!
Oddball
Posted 2017-01-07 6:25 PM (#531785 - in reply to #531745)

Mark and Arumako,
Thanks much for your responses. I checked out the O-tribute site Arumako noted and my Celeb does indeed look almost identical to the CC247-5, except for one thing - mine's a deep bowl (and those are mid-bowls). Found it kinda odd that there were mid and shallow-bowl epaulet-style O's in that catalog, as well as deep, mid and shallow-bowl versions of the center-hole guitars - but no deep bowl Elite-style. ???
Of course, this ain't rocket surgery and it doesn't really matter THAT much. I was just curious and you've gotten me probably close enough. I'm pretty confident with your estimate of a 1995 or 96 build date and, yeah, probably Korea. And yes, I can't quite explain why, but I've really grown attached to this particular guitar. It's not the best sounding guit I've ever played, but certain IS one of the most 'friendly.'
Oddball
Posted 2017-01-07 6:48 PM (#531786 - in reply to #531745)

Update - You guys got me going, so I perused a few more catalogs on the Tribute site and think I may have finally ID'd this puppy: CC268 as seen on page 17. The only discrepancies are the listed "two piece neck" - not sure what that refers to but mine appears to be a single piece, and the "20 fret rosewood fingerboard." Not only does mine have 21 full frets (and two vestigal ones, which I guess don't count), but the one in the catalog does, too! LOL
Interesting to see it sold for so much ($737.50) new in 1995. I paid $113 on the 'Bay (just threw a bid out because no one else was - never thot I'd get it). Even with $60 shipping, not a bad price. Did not come with a case, tho.
arumako
Posted 2017-01-08 3:52 AM (#531787 - in reply to #531745)

Thanks for the update Oddball. Yup, if it is a deep bowl it is definitely a CC268-5. It is actually listed as a line item in the catalog I pointed out too; but there is no photograph of the guitar. Kinda strange...apparently there weren't too many of the deep bowls made; and in Japan, the CC268s still sell for about the same price (as in same as the new price) when they come up for auction. The laminated top on these MIK Os have a bit of a "hard" acoustic sound; but the deep bowls compensate for the laminated top very well; and so, the CC268s are more sought after than the mid and shallow bowl cousins of the CC, CP and CS lines. Acoustically, my CC247-GS is really ho-hum, but when plugged into a PA or simple acoustic amp, she really shines. However, the appeal - for me anyway - isn't really about sound...its just kinda fun to play...weird, but works. Anyway, 113 bucks with $60 for shipping is a steal even without the case...congratulations and enjoy! Sure would love to hear your CC268...post a video, perhaps?
leonardmccoy
Posted 2017-01-08 12:55 PM (#531794 - in reply to #531786)

Oddball - 2017-01-07 6:48 PM Update - You guys got me going, so I perused a few more catalogs on the Tribute site and think I may have finally ID'd this puppy: CC268 as seen on page 17. The only discrepancies are the listed "two piece neck" - not sure what that refers to but mine appears to be a single piece, and the "20 fret rosewood fingerboard." Not only does mine have 21 full frets (and two vestigal ones, which I guess don't count), but the one in the catalog does, too! LOL Interesting to see it sold for so much ($737.50) new in 1995. I paid $113 on the 'Bay (just threw a bid out because no one else was - never thot I'd get it). Even with $60 shipping, not a bad price. Did not come with a case, tho.

Taking inflation into account, that same guitar would cost $1,167.96 these days hypothetically speaking. I think you struck a pretty good deal.

Edited by leonardmccoy 2017-01-08 12:56 PM
Oddball
Posted 2017-01-11 11:15 AM (#531903 - in reply to #531745)

Would be happy to share a video or just a sound byte, but since I can't even figure out how to post a photo, don't hold your breath. LOL What Arumako said makes some sense - Not to disparage Celebs in general (I have had several) but this guitar sounds a cut above most of the other ones I've played. Guess I better get on the stick and get it a nice case before I bonk it into something...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)