The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
A Question About Scale Length...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

BanjoJ
Posted 2017-01-13 3:21 PM (#531987 - in reply to #531980)
Subject: Re: A Question About Scale Length...

d'ovation - 2017-01-14 5:36 AM
Canada it's really confusing because although the SI system is officially used many people especially elderly ones with low literacy like to use terms like inch, foot, gallon, mile; but some of them are associated with the US and others are from the UK so you can never really be sure how much anything is until you clarify if they refer to the US or the imperial system.

Down here in Australia we converted from Imperial to Metric in the 1970s. This was after I'd left school where we were taught using mostly Imperial and a little Metric.

Although there was some pain involved for my generation and those before with the conversion, it was worth it in the long run. The metric system is just so much easier to work with. Now the only measurement that I use that isn't metric is a person's height. Don't know why.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-01-13 7:08 PM (#531992 - in reply to #531809)

@Mark In Boise - "A Californian shouldn't poke fun at anyone about distance or direction. They express distance in reference to time and most, but not all, of the highways start with "The"."

Yeah, that's the CA savvy slang. But I, like you, also come from the Intermountain West, and I know it drives everyone back home (Salt Lake) nutty when I state distance in time. I guess that part of California dialect comes from the larger cities where miles don't really mean anything since the traffic only creeps along half of the time anyway, so the matter usually boils down to how much "time" they are going to be stuck in the car instead of how far. Though here in the backwoods of CenCal we still zip right along, and anything "yonder" is still part of the understood yokel. The reason for the "The" prefix is because most of the freeways here are named after people or locations, so it's simply called "the" Eisenhower, Nimitz, Harbor, Long Beach, etc. Then some people get a bit more abbreviated and use only the highway number, like "the" [insert number here]. At least most people are still detailed enough to give the direction of travel.
BCam
Posted 2017-01-14 11:20 AM (#531999 - in reply to #531809)

We northern California folks generally don't use "the" except for a couple of, named Bay Area exceptions (Nimitz, Bayshore) If anyone refers to I-5 as "The 5", we immediately know they're from SoCal. Another hint, never say "Frisco". If you're in the greater Bay Area, simply say "the City" and you'll sound like a local.

We also discuss weather in terms of altitude. Here in the Sacramento area we get no snow but "1.5 hours away" and 7,000 feet higher they can get 10 feet or more in a matter of days.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)