The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
That USA vs. Korea thing again...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Love O Fair
Posted 2017-01-11 11:06 AM (#531902)
Subject: That USA vs. Korea thing again...

So if Sweetwater can list brand spankin’ new Custom Legend AX’s for $698 (w/OHSC and free shipping), how much would that same, exact guitar cost if it were made in New Hartford instead of Korea? Now, granted, this is for some black ones they are closing out, and their other CLs still average $1,150, so consider that in the math to answer the question. I really have no sound idea, so I am curious as to what anyone here with extended experience in Ovation purchases and ownership of both USA and Pacific might suppose that Connecticut price would be-- and, ultimately, would it truly be the same exact guitar? I also have to wonder from a bottom-line business aspect what DW’s comparable profit margin would be on the two.

I promised myself that my first CL would be an American 1769-4.. not so easy to locate and/or afford, so I will hold out on that promise.. but, man, that $698 thing is really itching on my GAS nerve.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bburg
Posted 2017-01-11 1:07 PM (#531908 - in reply to #531902)
Subject: Re: That USA vs. Korea thing again...

I've tried some AX guitar before Christmas at a really big shop here in Germany and was surprised by the sound and the finish of them.... and of the price. They are half that (or less) what the LX series was here in Germany. But they are NOT the same guitar. THe US made LX models have bolt on necks. They can change the neck or body for a repair if it's needed and they have lifetime warrenty (if you are the original owner). The AX models have glued on necks, so if they are worn out they are for the trash.

Bernie
Standingovation
Posted 2017-01-11 1:52 PM (#531915 - in reply to #531902)

I have no grounds upon which to base this but my gut tell me 2-3x whatever is the Korean made price.

You can look at it half full or half empty. The good thing about AX is that you probably get 75% of the guitar for 50% of the price compared to USA. The bad thing is you are only getting 75% of what you could have gotten if you ponied up for a USA model. Whether you opt for AX or USA will be a different personal choice for everyone. But in the end it's nice to have a choice.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-01-11 2:42 PM (#531917 - in reply to #531902)

Instrument prices are interesting. The old model was essentially "sell enough imports at enough profit to be able to sell the USA made guitars for less." I don't think that is the approach anymore. That being said... just based on time and materials, I don't see how any USA made guitar can be much less than $2500 to build and I'm sure it goes up from there depending on the model. Labor and materials are not cheap in the USA.
360Ovation
Posted 2017-01-13 2:41 PM (#531984 - in reply to #531917)

Mr. Ovation - 2017-01-11 2:42 PM

Instrument prices are interesting. The old model was essentially "sell enough imports at enough profit to be able to sell the USA made guitars for less." I don't think that is the approach anymore. That being said... just based on time and materials, I don't see how any USA made guitar can be much less than $2500 to build and I'm sure it goes up from there depending on the model. Labor and materials are not cheap in the USA.

Might depend on what your expectations are of a USA made guitar. Larrivee is selling their 03 series, which are 100% USA made, all solid wood guitars with a satin finish on them for around $1,200-$1500, depending on exact specs ... so for half of your target price. Their 05 series and up (all gloss, nicer trim and woods) would start (MAP) around your $2,500 mark. Martin is selling a number of all solid wood guitars for @ 1,800 up ... but I don't know if they're USA made or Mexican.
Oddball
Posted 2017-01-16 4:41 PM (#532032 - in reply to #531902)

I understand that it's cheaper to have guitars (and lots of other stuff) made overseas where labor is cheaper. But here's the thing I don't get - if you make a high-end guitar like a Custom Legend, with the same AAA-top, all the same bling, the same bowl and and out of all the other same materials and methods by which they were made in Hartford - but you do it in Korea . . . how can it "50%" or "75%" of the same USA model in sound or quality? Or for that matter inferior in any way?
I do understand that the Celebs are still inferior to the Korean Balladeers, Legends,Elites and so on - but that's by design. And even if the foreign Legends have a few 'cost-saving' mods like glued on necks - I still don't see why they would sound any different. Not saying they don't - just wondering why they would. And with Ovation gearing back up in Hartford, are we to expect 'new' USA Legends to sound demonstrably better than their Korean kin?
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-01-16 8:30 PM (#532038 - in reply to #531902)

With respect to the Custom Legend the 2079AX is a different guitar than the US made guitars from back in the day such as a Custom Legend 1769,the traditional custom legend was A-Braced not the LX brace there using now,it had a carved bridge(more aesthetic's than affecting sound but labor intensive) bolt on neck,and the final product was magic both visually and acousticly,i haven't played any of the new AX models but the reviews all say the action is high and it lacks some of the "old ovation" sound,not sure why.One thing to consider is grading of woods is subjective to some extent so what the US builders call AAA-spruce may not be the same standard as the Koreans,so is it the exact same materials put together in the exact same way ...maybe not.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)