The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Wrench Size for K-Bar adjustment?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

MikeA
Posted 2017-01-16 12:44 PM (#532028)
Subject: Wrench Size for K-Bar adjustment?

Hello All,

I have a W597 with serial from the year 2000 and need to adjust the K-bar to ease a bit of tension (getting some mild buzzing.)

I've tried a number of allen wrenches in both Imperial and metric sizes all to no avail. Access on this model is through the back.

Does anyone know if there is a special size wrench for this, and if so, where I can get one?

Appreciate any help.

All the best,
Mike

Edited by MikeA 2017-01-16 12:46 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-01-16 2:21 PM (#532031 - in reply to #532028)
Subject: Re: Wrench Size for K-Bar adjustment?

It should be 3/16"
MatureWolf
Posted 2017-01-22 1:20 PM (#532211 - in reply to #532028)
Subject: RE: Wrench Size for K-Bar adjustment?

I recommend you only original "long" hexwrench, available from alpep (lostartvintage).

Best,

Alex

leonardmccoy
Posted 2017-01-22 2:53 PM (#532213 - in reply to #532028)

I'd recommend getting the original Ovation adjustment wrench #9834-0 (aka Ovation Allen Key #9834-0) from your dealer of choice.

This should work out as well: http://www.lostartvintage.com/Categoryinfo.aspx?categoryid=11&categoryitem=118&itemid=710&country=us

Edited by leonardmccoy 2017-01-22 3:06 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2017-01-25 12:12 AM (#532270 - in reply to #532213)

Hi, Mike A,
Yes, what leonardmcoy said. I got one of these from the original Ovation factory way back when, (c.1982?), and my guitar tech used it, and still does use it, on all of my Ovation guitars. He even gives it back, and puts it in the case pocket when he's done with it! "I like that part."
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-01-25 9:37 AM (#532272 - in reply to #532028)

I have the one leonardmcoy showed above, and it works great on the k-bar adjustment through the center sound hole. Some models have a bracing strip in the way, but the factory has drilled a pilot hole through the bracing for straight access. I've fiddled with other length configurations of wrenches (from my toolbox) but have found that the length and swing of the 9834-0 is perfect since it's what it was designed specifically for and can be used easily through the strings... but.. if you do a center-hole-type adjustment with strings intact, it pays to wrap a little bit of electrical tape around the wrench where it makes contact with the strings to keep from scarring the string windings. In the case of an adjustment through some models' back access hole on the bowl, this problem would not apply, though I have never had to do one through the back access, so I'm not exactly certain the swing length of the 9834-0 will fit and still have length clearance to turn very far. Best to contact Al and ask about that per your specific model since the wrench he has for sale is configured much different than the 9834-0.

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-01-25 9:50 AM
MikeA
Posted 2017-01-29 9:39 AM (#532356 - in reply to #532028)

Hello All,

Thanks for all replies - sorry for the delay in responding, been tied up with one thing or another.

I am going to order the wrench from LostArt Vintage (If I can figure out how to move one into the cart!

Really appreciate the help.

Mike
MikeA
Posted 2017-02-03 1:26 PM (#532524 - in reply to #532028)

Hello all,

Just wanted to let all know the resolution - tried to order from the Lost Art Vintage Site but no joy! Ended up buying one they had listed on evilBay (for $3 more than their catalog, but that included shipping which was via USPS Priority so not a bad deal.

It arrived today and took less than one minute to make the initial adjustment - the wrench fit perfectly and is just the correct size for the reach inside the guitar.

I'm a happy camper as the slight buzzing I was getting has all but disappeared with ~1/4 turn of the K-Bar nut. Will wait for about 24 hours before making any further adjustment to let it 'settle' a bit.

Thanks for the help!

All the best,
Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)