The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
N Ga flatpicker just joined...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

jawjatek
Posted 2017-01-28 1:29 PM (#532325)
Subject: N Ga flatpicker just joined...

Greetings from N GA. Name is Joe, and I've been playing a long time. Used to play in blues bands all over the ATL area for years, but I kinda got away from the band thing and went back to my first love - bluegrass flatpicking, solo mostly, fiddle tunes mostly. Currently I play a Martin D-18, a baby Taylor, and a whole lot of old guitars and amps from the blues days. I recently ordered a Preston Thompson DIA dreadnought, which is in his queue being built as I type this.

I lived in Vincenza, Italy in the mid-70s as a teen (first picked up a guitar in 6th grade), and knew a great guitarist named Charlie Nealy. He played an Ovation, a Balladeer I think, the first one I ever saw. He played left-hand with the guitar strung right-hand, and was an awesome player. What really impressed me at the time was the way he could rattle off acoustic Tull tunes like Thick as a Brick, Life's a Long Song, etc perfectly note-for-note. He also played the flute parts (not at the same time LOL). I loved watching him play (and also playing his Ovation whenever he put it down). He showed me a lot, but it was hard to learn from him because of the upside-down thing. He has since passed on, but I always remember him when I see an Ovation.

Ever since Charlie, and later seeing Al DiMeola and other pros I like using them, I always wanted an Ovation, but never ran across one when I had money. I decided recently to try and find a Legend like Tony Rice used to play. Currently keeping an eye on evilbay and CL for a good one.

See y'all around.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jawjatek
Posted 2017-01-29 8:50 AM (#532353 - in reply to #532325)
Subject: RE: N Ga flatpicker just joined...

Score!! Gonna buy DebbieS' friend's "81 10th anniversary model 1657.

I had found a Legend 1717 in exc shape for $550 on CL, but the seller is being non-communicado (i.e. FLAKY) as so often happens on CL. So I decided to spring for this guitar. Its more than I wanted to spend, but seems like a great player guitar, for a good cause.

Think the first song I will play on it is "Melissa" by Allman Bros in memory of Butch Trucks, and the former player, then "Lay Down my Old Guitar".
jawjatek
Posted 2017-01-29 3:28 PM (#532372 - in reply to #532325)
Subject: Re: N Ga flatpicker just joined...

Admin: can I get posting priveleges please?

Q: looks like the 1657 is a stereo pickup model with concentric tone and volume. Is there a name for this preamp circuit? Looks like the FET vol-tone circuit. I am an EE, very experienced w/amps and guitars, and do all my own electronics repairs when I can.
Damon67
Posted 2017-01-30 5:48 PM (#532392 - in reply to #532325)

Hello jawjatek,

I've updated your status. The 1657 is a great guitar. I have one too. Yes, it's a FET preamp, but if you want to know more than that, you'll have to talk to someone else.

There are only a very few people that can respond in this section. Maybe ask it again in the main section.

Welcome to the Club
jawjatek
Posted 2017-01-31 12:21 AM (#532402 - in reply to #532325)

Thanks, but I've figured it out from the great info and links here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)