The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Canterbury Strings/Alison Swan

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

jarrettw
Posted 2017-01-29 5:53 PM (#532375)
Subject: Canterbury Strings/Alison Swan

Hey all,

My name is Jarrett and some of you may remember a user by the name CanterburyStrings, some also may have known her as Alison. Alison was a very special person in my life and she talked highly about everyone she interacted with on this forum so I thought I would join to connect with some of you.

I'm not sure if I was ever mentioned by her but I started taking guitar lessons from Alison when I was about 11 years old. I wanted to learn everything and anything Johnny Cash, even had a cheap knock-off Martin look alike that was of course black! My first lesson with her was learning the song "I Walk the Line" and we hit it off right then and there. She introduced me to the world of guitars and what it means to be a musician. She supported me throughout my years in different garage bands and minor success. She always was honest about music and would have no problem telling you if she didn't like something, I loved that about her.

Alison was like a second mother to me. I watched her small business grow into a hub for musicians to base out of. She welcomed most everyone into her shop for Saturday jams. Whether you could barely play three chords or were an accomplished musician, you were always welcome.

Her and I grew very close through the years we knew each other. I miss her very much since she has passed and I'm sure there are some of you who miss her as well. I will do my best to check this forum periodically incase anyone would like to chat, I would love to hear of stories or memories shared of her. Again, this fan club was something she enjoyed everyday for the last 8 years of her life. Happy music playing everyone.

- Jarrett
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-01-29 6:02 PM (#532376 - in reply to #532375)
Subject: Re: Canterbury Strings/Alison Swan

Welcome Jarrett,
Feel free to post in the main forums. You pretty much became a member when I got to the second sentence.." I started taking guitar lessons from Alison" That's really all you needed to say.

Enjoy and again... Welcome.
Damon67
Posted 2017-01-29 7:20 PM (#532379 - in reply to #532375)

Hello Jarrett.

Many people here already know you through Alison.

She was a very special human being. The nicest person. She'd bend over backwards to help out if she could. I had planned to take a trip out that way to say hello one of these days, then she gave us the news.

I've discussed how she sent me coffee in the mail one time when I had lost my job. I posted something about being okay, I'd just cut back on the extras, no more coffee being one of the extras. Later that week a care package showed up at my door with a few pounds of caffeinated goodness.

One thing I don't know if I mentioned before, but I was out at The Gorge camping at a show and playing my guitar at the campground. A couple in their mid 50''s to 60's walked by, stopped and noticed my Ovation. They proceeded to tell me how they ran into this lovely little music store on their way out here in Hot Springs SD and how the wonderful lady that owned it had a bunch of guitars with round backs just like mine. I smiled and told them to tell Alison hello for me on their way back.

She left a legacy of goodness in the wake of her life.

I'm glad you joined up. Welcome to the family.
jarrettw
Posted 2017-01-29 7:33 PM (#532380 - in reply to #532379)

Thank you for sharing Damon67! She really did touch so many people that walked through her shop. Talk about a coffee drinker she had several cups every morning, I don't believe she went a day without. Hot Springs is a beautiful town and Alison really fell in love with the area and the people. If you get a chance in your lifetime, definitely make the trip. Thanks again for sharing, take care.
jarrettw
Posted 2017-01-29 7:34 PM (#532381 - in reply to #532376)

Thank you for the kind words Mr. Ovation!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-01-30 3:21 AM (#532384 - in reply to #532375)

Welcome Jarrett,

There is a long Thread from when Alison told us that she would be leaving...

If you would like to see it, go HERE

A bunch of us said "Good Bye" before she left.
alpep
Posted 2017-01-30 11:05 AM (#532386 - in reply to #532375)

A beautiful person
I enjoyed our numerous chats on the phone and e mail
I am happy I was Able to make her dream guitar with the swan inlays come true
stonebobbo
Posted 2017-02-01 2:00 PM (#532453 - in reply to #532375)

Alison loved you dearly Jarrett, and was very proud of all you have become.
You are a very lucky man.

Do indeed pop in when you can. We all miss Alison around here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)