The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Electronics Frustration

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

bvince
Posted 2017-03-12 5:57 PM (#533185)
Subject: Electronics Frustration

I've probably asked this question before sometime, but I'm using the "brain-dead" excuse...

I LOVE my 1537 more than any other guitar I've ever played...BUT... when it comes to recently playing in a large church orchestra setting, I am finding the electronics lacking. First... the mono jack.... Can someone tell me if the musical instrument industry has ever developed a new, fail-safe design??? I've changed mine out with two different ones over its lifetime, and it STILL sucks. And then of course there's the hideous battery-sucking FET system. I'd really like to invest in upgrading to some kind of quality custom bridge and hole condensor mic system that I can Reley on for the best representation of the beautiful sounds this guitar is capable of.

I installed the OpPro/Studio on my Adamas along time ago, and it performs ok, but I just want something "special" on my FAVORITE guitar. Have any of you had anything like that done at the mothership?, and did it cost more than the cost of the guitar???

Appreciate any constructive comments.

Edited by bvince 2017-03-12 5:59 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-03-12 7:06 PM (#533187 - in reply to #533185)
Subject: Re: Electronics Frustration

All you've said is that the electronics suck (they are almost a 40 year old design). How do they suck? What kind of problems do you have with them?
I replaced my 1537 with the 2 knobber electronics that came out in 2004. Now those electronics have major problems and I have yet to run across a set that didn't have the same problems.

What don't you like and what are you looking for? I'm curious because if I found great electronics for my 1537, I'd be tempted to sell everything else. Like you, I think the guitar is just that good......
bvince
Posted 2017-03-12 7:18 PM (#533188 - in reply to #533185)

Basically the same as you've stated. The design is old ... was good at that time, but I know the technology has to be waaay better now. What set up do YOU have??? ...And I agree...the 1537 is worth it.

I want to get as much of the full range and subtle nuances out of my guitar. I like to keep the bottom quaking the floor like a bass fiddle, but without any kind of feedback issues to have to contend with. I want to hear the contact of my fingers on the strings like bow on a violin. Natural expression and a boost when needed. ... 'guess that about does it.

...Oh.. and ease of use would be nice.

Edited by bvince 2017-03-12 7:19 PM
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-03-12 9:02 PM (#533192 - in reply to #533185)

Vince, I've got an idea. Shoot me an email moody.pi at cox.net and we can talk about it.
Mike S.
Posted 2017-03-12 9:41 PM (#533193 - in reply to #533188)

Hi, bvince,
I had the same problems with my 1989-90 Ovation Elite 1768-4, before I finally sold it in September of 2016. The older electronics on the 1st generation OP-24 EQ system were way ahead of their time, true; but that was THEN, and this is NOW. The sound of the guitar was simply killer unplugged, and I hated to part with it, but I needed something smaller. It was considered a vintage guitar, and so I sent it for annual maintenance to my local guitar tech, who replaced the batteries as often as he could. I almost bought the Ovation Airlocks from Alpep, to prevent feedback in some of the venues I was playing in at the time, but the eventual buyer wanted it yesterday, so I never did find out how they would work. The young lady I sold it to said she planned to use it for recording, so in her mind, going direct into a mixer would eliminate the feedback? I'm not so sure about that, but then, I never actually used this particular guitar in a recording studio setting. I always used a direct box with all my Ovations, and still do, in most venues. I only had problems with feedback once or twice, simply because my batteries were done. The NOS battery-box, w/sliding door, mounted on the waist of the guitar, (which began with the 1993 Collectors Series, BTW), was/is a game changer, for sure. If all else fails, you could always send your fine guitar to The Mother Ship, and have them update the entire electronics package for you? I'm thinkin' "the amp can", may be callin' your name. It's just a suggestion, if you agree. It's been done before. Time for you to stop ridin' the train to Frustation City, my man. It goes nowhere, and you don't want be on it. I hope you find a solution soon.

Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2017-03-12 10:08 PM
bvince
Posted 2017-03-13 4:22 PM (#533209 - in reply to #533192)

Cool... Msg Sent...
bvince
Posted 2017-03-13 4:27 PM (#533210 - in reply to #533193)

Thanks for the input Mike. The battery box is not a major problem for me though. I've added the alternative external boxes before on other older Ovations. With this particular guitar, I only want it cut on it ONE TIME. The 1537 is a very special instrument, and is truly worth investing the time and money to upgrade the electronics to something of high quality to match it's excellence. I want to do this one time and do it right.
FlySig
Posted 2017-03-15 7:44 AM (#533231 - in reply to #533185)

I replaced the electronics a couple of years ago in my 1537 with the new FET stereo system. That was when the factory was still shut down and I was concerned about losing the ability to buy replacement parts into the future. Anyhow, no problems at all with the new system and it sounds great. Though I don't play plugged in very often with the 1537, there have been no problems with it.
bvince
Posted 2017-03-15 7:48 PM (#533240 - in reply to #533185)

Hi Sig...
I had my 1537 completely "spa'd" (before they shut down their operations) with a refinish and new old-stock electronics (2-Knob Fet system), new gold frets, and a nice fine-tuned set-up. It plays and looks phenomenal, but the old felt system is inadequate and troublesome for my live plugged in application. I love the the original two knob look, but I need to be able to maximize the live output quality, and want it to still sound like what I would hear with my ear up th the sound holes. I was hoping to incorporate the absolute latest technological advances into what is my favorite guitar.

Edited by bvince 2017-03-15 7:50 PM
2wheeldrummer
Posted 2017-03-15 8:18 PM (#533241 - in reply to #533185)

Have you looked at the LR Baggs Anthem system,it combines a mic and pickup to get the most out of your acoustic guitar.
My brother has this installed in his Guild 6 string and loves it

hwebster
Posted 2017-03-15 11:07 PM (#533244 - in reply to #533185)

I had the factory replace the electronics with the new FET stereo system in my 1537 some years ago.
No problems and the sounds is nice. I am happy with it. Did you have the factory installed the new electronics back then? If not, I suggest playing one with the new FET to find out if you like the sound before going in a different route.

Edited by hwebster 2017-03-15 11:17 PM
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-03-16 12:16 AM (#533245 - in reply to #533185)

I've had 5 different sets of those FET systems (the reissue 2 knobbers), 3 in the OFC I guitar (all installed by the factory), and 2 for the 1537. None of them have worked correctly. There is a problem in the preamp (tone box). One plug on that preamp will work and I can use it with a mono p/u. One side won't work.

One of these days I'm going to get up the nerve to ask Dan if he will take on another project for me and open up that box. In an OP Pro I gave him, he discovered some bad soldering (cold solders) and I'd be willing to be that something like that is going on with the FET preamp.

But it's frustrating that the same thing has happened with all of those unit. Heck, in 2007, when I got the OFC guitar at the factory gathering, I left it behind because of this problem. Has anybody else had this issue or is it just me?
bburg
Posted 2017-03-16 2:51 PM (#533253 - in reply to #533185)

I have 3 reissue 2knopper FET's in my guitars and all are working fine with no problems. I've had a 1681 with the old FET system which had issues with a cracking volume poti and has only less volume on the output. I upgrated this guitar with an OP-Pro series preamp but regreted this later. So I sold the guitar.

Bernie
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-03-16 2:54 PM (#533254 - in reply to #533185)

Paul, I haven't used mine enough to judge reliability, but my OFC1 has worked fine every time I've used it, most importantly, at our daughter's wedding last summer.
DanSavage
Posted 2017-03-18 6:16 PM (#533288 - in reply to #533245)

moody, p.i. - 2017-03-15 10:16 PM

One of these days I'm going to get up the nerve to ask Dan if he will take on another project for me and open up that box. In an OP Pro I gave him, he discovered some bad soldering (cold solders) and I'd be willing to be that something like that is going on with the FET preamp.

I'm planning to use that OP Pro on my 1778T, so it won't be too much longer before I'm ready to fix the cold solder joints. (fingers-crossed)
bvince
Posted 2017-04-07 4:50 PM (#533572 - in reply to #533185)

I've been gone to Michigan for a couple weeks playing with grandchildren, so I've been off line. I decided to do the same thing as I did with my Adamas 1581... replacing the NOS Factory-installed FET system with the OP Pro Studio. Does anyone know if the VIP unit will work as a drop in in the same can? I thought that would be cool for recording if it works with the same unit. I LOVE options.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-04-07 5:45 PM (#533577 - in reply to #533572)

bvince - 2017-04-07 2:50 PM

Does anyone know if the VIP unit will work as a drop in in the same can?

Yes, a VIP will work in any OP-Pro can. (but probably not an iDea can)
bvince
Posted 2017-04-08 3:23 AM (#533582 - in reply to #533185)

Thanks for the info
Mitchrx
Posted 2017-04-08 6:59 AM (#533583 - in reply to #533185)

I have a 1537 with the original FET two knobs and a Custom Legend that the factory upgraded to the OP-Pro. I only play plugged in with the Legend. I don't even keep a battery in the 1537. You cannot achieve the acoustic sound of a 1537, what you hear at the sound holes, with amplification. Ovation has come up with the some of the best acoustic amplification systems with the various OP-Pros. They are hard to beat, but will NEVER produce the acoustic sound of a 1537. Accept that there are limitations with acoustic amplification. Ovation can put an OP-Pro in your 1537, but that would change the instrument and still not get you what you really want.
bvince
Posted 2017-04-08 7:49 AM (#533584 - in reply to #533185)

Yeah... I know... the closest way to achieve that "hole" sound is with a good mic at the hole. But since I now do most of my playing in a setting where I have to amplify, and I need to hear through the house Aviom System, I have to do the best with what I can. In the past, I have always resisted the temptation to get rid of the cool old knobs, but it's now time to do what is practical. Ultimately, I will just figure a way to add a high end condensor to my pre-amp at the hole and have it integrated into the on-board electronics. I'm sure it will cost a bit, but I'm sure I'll have the closest thing to what I want... and THIS guitar is worth it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-04-08 10:46 AM (#533589 - in reply to #533185)

Vince, keep us (or at least me) posted on this. At this point, the 1537 is what I'll play 90% of the time when acoustic, and the rebuilt 87C is for plugging in (it's really good acoustically too, just not the same). If I could get the 1537 to a point where it sounded as good plugged in, then I could be tempted to keep it alone.

Tempted, but not certain that I would get rid of the 87C. Some guitars that come to you with great stories, you just can't sell.......
bvince
Posted 2017-04-08 5:25 PM (#533595 - in reply to #533185)

Will do... and THANKs for your help too.
bburg
Posted 2017-04-09 2:14 PM (#533602 - in reply to #533185)

Brian, but don't use phantom Power if you are playing a VIP in an OP-Pro can! I've burned down a VIP by doing this....

Bernie
bburg
Posted 2017-04-09 2:15 PM (#533603 - in reply to #533185)

Brian, but don't use phantom Power if you are playing a VIP in an OP-Pro can! I've burned down a VIP by doing this....

Bernie
FlySig
Posted 2017-04-10 9:50 AM (#533611 - in reply to #533185)

Yes, be vary wary of phantom power! I burned out an OpPro Studio with phantom power. I am not sure that all XLR equipped Ovations are also phantom power safe.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)