The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Newbie - upgrade questions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

jpmichaels
Posted 2017-05-04 1:49 AM (#535050)
Subject: Newbie - upgrade questions

Hi -

I have a 74 Custom Balladeer I bought new in 74. Not knowing better at the time, I let my brother put a BB pickup in it and put the jack on the back - which is where they were in those days. I've wanted to upgrade to factory electronics and pickup for a long time, and now am in a position to do it. My excuse is that the finish has ridge in it that runs the same direction as the neck, and I want to get the finish redone. So - while it's there ...

My question - between the OP-pro and OP-4BT and the pickups that seem to be paired with them - what would be the better choice for a deep bowl of that vintage?

Overall - it's in decent shape, about the only thing I've had done is getting the frets leveled.

I've been googling a bit, but this is clearly the place to get recommendations.

Thanks,

John
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-05-04 4:11 AM (#535051 - in reply to #535050)
Subject: Re: Newbie - upgrade questions

Hi John...

Out of the choices that you mentioned, you would want an OP-Pro for so many reasons.
1) An OP4BT is only for Asian models. Celebrity and the like.
2) An OP4BT is actually a Large rectangular box. That oval thing that you see is just the face plate.
3) Once you have the hole for the OP-Pro can... There are other preamps that will fit in that can.

Before you go cutting into a 43 year old guitar, you might want to just consider get a "new" (to you) guitar that already has a fancy preamp-tuna-EQ in it.
If you are sending your guitar back to the Ovation factory to have the frets dressed and the finish fixed, then you might consult with them about getting a preamp.

You could also ask about getting a Single-knob, or a Stacked Volume-Tone knob preamp.
That would be more "period correct" for you guitar, and also does not involve getting a big hole cut into the side of your bowl. Just another 1/4" hole drilled up near the neck joint.
Just turning your 1112 into a 1612.

Something to think about.
Contact the Ovation Factory and Repair Shop. (The MotherShip)
jpmichaels
Posted 2017-05-04 3:22 PM (#535057 - in reply to #535050)

Hi - Thanks for responding. I clearly left off some important details - my apologies. I had emailed Ovation to ask about refinishing and adding electronics, and the reply was - refinishing will cost X and adding electronics will range from y to z depending on what you get. (Sorry - don't know if I should be posting actual dollars - probably not). From digging around on the website, I concluded that the lower price would be the OP-4BT with Slimline pickup, and the higher would be the OP-pro with OCP1 (OCP1K?). Is there someone you would recommend I talk to? The answers to my emails were a bit less detailed than I need.

Thanks.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-05-04 4:45 PM (#535059 - in reply to #535050)

Really... Do NOT get the OP4BT.
You can get an OP-Pro series and it will work with the CP-100 thin pickup.
So it would fit inside the saddle slot.

I don't know where you are located, but you can CALL the shop and talk to a Live person.
1-800-552-4681 during 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM EDT business hours.
Out of the menu, either talk to John Budny, or Darrell Wallace.

Oh yeah... Another reason not to get the OP4BT is that it would take two holes in your guitar.
One for the preamp, and one for the battery box.
HERE is what the OP4BT system looks like, showing you the two-piece OP4BT system.
OP-Pro is just one can for the preamp, and the battery fits into the preamp.

Edited by Old Man Arthur 2017-05-04 4:50 PM
jpmichaels
Posted 2017-05-06 3:21 AM (#535072 - in reply to #535050)

Understood about the OP4BT - I'll plan on the OP-pro. I'll give them a call. Someone named John answered my emails - but for this kind of work, I should actually be speaking to someone. I'll also ask about the single/stacked option you mentioned above. Period correctness isn't that critical for me, I just want something that sounds good. Thanks again for the recommendations. And I'm near Tacoma, WA.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-05-06 1:21 PM (#535077 - in reply to #535050)

That John would be John Budny.
He's "The Man".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)