The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Far, Far Away...One Store in One City

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

arumako
Posted 2017-05-06 10:25 AM (#535073)
Subject: Far, Far Away...One Store in One City

OFC Japan Report...

So today, my wife and daughter went shopping (I had to stay in and work), and knowing how much I love our Os, my daughter went to a music store to see what kind of Os the store had in stock. Now, this is one of the bigger stores in our area, and they only carry one or two Celebrities...

blowin out the old

And sure enough there they were...one old one at a blow out price (at least for Japan). Then she looked up and there were two more...

newer Celebs

Ooh, the new Celebrity models, cool. So, she took a walk into the back where they keep all the good stuff. And lo and behold... Well, well...howz about that?

A couple of 2078AXs... What is going on here? A black 2078 too...

black 2078

And another one in Koa Burst...

koa burst

Whoa, and that one in the middle...I think that's the Japan market Adamas I GT2087! List price at 850,000JPY (about $7,600) and retailing at 637,500JPY ($5,700). That might seem ridiculous, but with shipping and insurance and exhorbitant distribution costs for anywhere in Japan, that is equally reasonable as one might view US prices.

Forget about the prices though; but how cool is that? From 2 Celebs 2 months ago to 9 Os on the floor including an Adamas! It must mean that DW is definitely on the right track, and all the while I was pouting about the lack of distribution awareness of O's comeback in Japan, the distributor was quietly working out a Japan only deal for the Adamas! Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. It is really nice to see Os back in stores here. As I said earlier, this store is one of the bigger stores so they are a high volume retailer. For them to be stocking O models in the higher price range is very encouraging...to me anyway...

So, I hope you all don't mind my sharing my daughter's pics (and some enthusiasm) of these fine instruments. Although, things in reality are hardly what they look like to us on the outside, and sales volume is not nearly what it used to be in the heyday of guitar sales, it's still nice to see Os prominently displayed. Here's to xraiderman, DW and the crew at New Hartford, I think it is safe to say that O is back in Japan!

Edited by arumako 2017-05-06 10:30 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nancy
Posted 2017-05-06 11:33 AM (#535075 - in reply to #535073)
Subject: RE: Far, Far Away...One Store in One City

WOW!!!!!!

Those are IMPRESSIVE!!! And I know how exciting it has to be to see them making such a prominent comeback in your Home Town! SWEET!!!!!

Thank You for sharing Arumako!! I got all excited for you!!!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-05-06 1:07 PM (#535076 - in reply to #535073)
Subject: Re: Far, Far Away...One Store in One City

Maybe I should check out the local Guitar Center for the first time in months, or possibly years.
DanSavage
Posted 2017-05-06 4:53 PM (#535079 - in reply to #535076)

I like the 2078s, especially the Koa. They look like Custom Elites. (abalone purfling)
Geostorm98
Posted 2017-05-06 5:44 PM (#535080 - in reply to #535073)

That's good to see, arumako. Thanks for the report. Ovation has historically done well in Japan; the aesthetics inherent in most Ovations were well received there. 

I wonder if that big Japanese distributor (Nakau) is still in business? Ovation used to make some customized models for them specifically for the Japanese market.

Edited by Geostorm98 2017-05-06 5:47 PM
ProfessorBB
Posted 2017-05-07 7:29 AM (#535081 - in reply to #535073)

Nice. When I bought my first Ovation in 1971, it was hung right up there with the Martins and Gibson jumbos.
arumako
Posted 2017-05-07 10:49 AM (#535082 - in reply to #535075)

Nancy - 2017-05-06 1:33 AM

Thank You for sharing Arumako!! I got all excited for you!!!

Thanks for sharing in the excitement Nancy. It's been 1.5 years since O's resurrection, and it looks like the wait was well worth it!

Mark in Boise - 2017-05-06 3:07 AM

Maybe I should check out the local Guitar Center for the first time in months, or possibly years.

...don't know. The last time I went to a Guitar Center (over 5 years ago) was in Gilroy, California. They didn't have a single new O on display. Apparently, they don't even handle Os on their website. Hopefully things are different in your end of the woods.

DanSavage - 2017-05-06 6:53 AM

I like the 2078s, especially the Koa. They look like Custom Elites. (abalone purfling)

Yeah, those are nice...I wonder if they offer the Koa in a torrefied version? Lol!

Geostorm98 - 2017-05-06 7:44 AM

That's good to see, arumako. Thanks for the report. Ovation has historically done well in Japan; the aesthetics inherent in most Ovations were well received there.

I wonder if that big Japanese distributor (Nakau) is still in business? Ovation used to make some customized models for them specifically for the Japanese market.

YVW and thanks for commenting! Yes, Os have always had a great reputation in Japan. They just look so distinct on the sales floor, and the Adamas resonated in the hearts of many Japanese. Like in the States, there was a period when all the Japanese Rockers played Adamas, Legends and USA Elites. The used market for Os is very strong over here as well. Unfortunately, Nakao is no longer in business. The folks at NH made some pretty special limited runs for them. The used Nakao's still carry a premium price. Today, Kanda Shokai has rounded up practically all import guitar distribution into a bit of a monopoly. I may be wrong, but the Adamas I GT2087 is a custom build for Kanda Shokai...I think.

ProfessorBB - 2017-05-06 9:29 PM

Nice. When I bought my first Ovation in 1971, it was hung right up there with the Martins and Gibson jumbos.

Yeah, these were up there with the Martins, Gibsons and Taylors. They sure are artistic and unique. My daughter thought all of the other guitars paled in comparison to the Os - that's my girl!

Thanks for sharing in the excitement OFC!
alpep
Posted 2017-05-07 3:20 PM (#535084 - in reply to #535073)

adamas guitars are a bargain...
tell them I can ship to japan!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)