The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Comparing Custom Legends...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Love O Fair
Posted 2017-05-26 12:03 PM (#535297)
Subject: Comparing Custom Legends...

Can someone please elaborate the differences between the Custom Legends 1669 and 1769.. like constructions, bracing, color options, rarity, condition pricing, etc. The info on the OFC model reference page shows the same for both except for the production years. Just curious. Thanks.. and wishing everyone a great holiday weekend.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2017-05-26 12:48 PM (#535299 - in reply to #535297)
Subject: Re: Comparing Custom Legends...

Go to ovationtribute.com and research it in the archives.

Edited by moody, p.i. 2017-05-26 12:49 PM
Patch
Posted 2017-05-26 1:44 PM (#535300 - in reply to #535297)
Subject: RE: Comparing Custom Legends...

I'm going from memory here, and it's getting more middle-aged every day, so my details are eminently questionable. But I seem to recall the biggest difference between the 16xx's and the 17xx's was moving from the stacked knob pre-amp to the equalizer ones. Also, I think the transition may, I say again MAY, have involved going from the original hand-cut cutaways to the molded ones.

That's as far as I'm willing to push my luck. I'm sure others will set me straight as necessary.

Regardless, they are both Custom Legends, which makes them both excellent instruments.

Damon67
Posted 2017-05-26 3:14 PM (#535303 - in reply to #535300)
Subject: RE: Comparing Custom Legends...

Patch - 2017-05-26 11:44 AM

...I seem to recall the biggest difference between the 16xx's and the 17xx's was moving from the stacked knob pre-amp to the equalizer ones. Also, I think the transition may, I say again MAY, have involved going from the original hand-cut cutaways to the molded ones.

Both correct, though I'd say the new molded bowl was the bigger difference of the 2. And FWIW, I haven't found a hand cut bowl Ovation that I didn't like. Not sure why they've sounded so good to me over others. You wouldn't think it would make much of a difference.

Mitchrx
Posted 2017-05-29 6:18 PM (#535335 - in reply to #535297)
Subject: Re: Comparing Custom Legends...

Back in the early 80's the Custom Legend was the best guitar that Ovation made. The Adamas was a different line of guitars. I have an '83 Custom Legend that originally had a single knob stereo FET preamp. It has a "hand cut" bowl. I have never seen a cutaway Ovation with a hand cut bowl, but I guess that there may be some. Production back then for Custom Legends utilized the best of everything that the factory had. That included some hand cut (hand laid) fiberglass bowls that were at the factory but not used previously. All of the 17XX guitars have the newer bowl. I agree with Damon. The hand cut/hand laid bowls have a unique sound. I once jammed with an experienced guitarist who commented "that's the best sounding Ovation I've ever heard." I have seen 16XX Custom Legends that do not have a hand cut bowl, but those are from '84 and later.

Edited by Mitchrx 2017-05-29 6:20 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)