The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
50th Anniversary's

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

bburg
Posted 2017-05-29 1:51 PM (#535330)
Subject: 50th Anniversary's

So, who has one and what are your experiences? Who wants to give a review here?

I had the chance to get one of the 1678 and I'm quite happy with it. The sound is very bright and clear with cristal clear ringing highs and the bottom is good for the shallower bowl, very nice balanced too. The curly maple neck is stunning and the shape of it is what I love.

Bernie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2017-05-29 5:28 PM (#535334 - in reply to #535330)
Subject: Re: 50th Anniversary's

I've got an 1168-AV40. That's the non-cutaway version, mid bowl. No electronics. I'll try to upload a photo if I can figure it out.

At first I thought the guitar sounded a bit delicate, but I think it was the strings. I like it better with new Adamas 1212 strings than the ones which came with it, which were some version of D'Addarios. It has guts when digging in, and has plenty of low end when down-tuned. The tone is definitely very clear compared to a wood topped guitar. Not as deep and boisterous as a 2080 with the contour bowl. It does very well with fingerstyle as well as strumming or single notes, so I'd say it is pretty versatile.

The hand laid bowl is quite resonant, more so than the other O/A guitars I have which are the molded microsphere technology. Also very light weight.

I would say this guitar is a nice complement to the rest of my collection. This guitar is great for ensemble playing as well as solo acoustic singer/songwriter type of stuff. With a pickup in it, I would use it for mellow to moderate types of amplified performance, not for a bar band or brash acoustic rock. It is too refined for those styles.

As to the workmanship, 100% perfection! Flawless fit and finish. A real joy to play.

Edited by FlySig 2017-05-29 5:40 PM
arumako
Posted 2017-05-30 8:34 AM (#535343 - in reply to #535334)

FlySig - 2017-05-29 7:28 AM

I've got an 1168-AV40. That's the non-cutaway version, mid bowl. No electronics. I'll try to upload a photo if I can figure it out.

At first I thought the guitar sounded a bit delicate, but I think it was the strings. I like it better with new Adamas 1212 strings than the ones which came with it, which were some version of D'Addarios. It has guts when digging in, and has plenty of low end when down-tuned. The tone is definitely very clear compared to a wood topped guitar. Not as deep and boisterous as a 2080 with the contour bowl. It does very well with fingerstyle as well as strumming or single notes, so I'd say it is pretty versatile.

The hand laid bowl is quite resonant, more so than the other O/A guitars I have which are the molded microsphere technology. Also very light weight.

I would say this guitar is a nice complement to the rest of my collection. This guitar is great for ensemble playing as well as solo acoustic singer/songwriter type of stuff. With a pickup in it, I would use it for mellow to moderate types of amplified performance, not for a bar band or brash acoustic rock. It is too refined for those styles.

As to the workmanship, 100% perfection! Flawless fit and finish. A real joy to play.

Congratulations FlySig! She's a beauty. I just never get tired of seeing the 50th O's and 40th A's. I wish there were more videos out there of sound samples and comparisons. Really nice! Thanks for sharing!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-05-30 1:55 PM (#535347 - in reply to #535330)

I played Damon's 40th Anny Adamas 1168...
I was definitely impressed by the sound and feel of the guitar.
It was light too.
Standingovation
Posted 2017-05-30 3:21 PM (#535349 - in reply to #535330)

FD14
If you liked the original FD14 then you will LOVE the AN50-FD14. Sonically similar in its range and projection but overall seems a bit more controlled and less boomy. I think the bowl may be slightly shallower. But the overall ring, clarity and sustain is still there. Note that these guitars are quite different from a regular spruce topped Folklore. The cedar top gives it a somewhat darker tone and to me, makes it sound like a much older broken in version of a regular Folklore. Cosmetically the AN50 is in a whole different stratosphere. Fit, finish and overall quality is absolute top notch. Only complaint is that Ovation still leaves a sharp point at the edge of the nut (on every guitar) which I always have to file down but that’s a minor complaint. The wood binding and abalone inlays are stunning. Special call out to the fret work, much improved over previous generations and no more rough edges to deal with. Actually some of the best fret finishing I have ever seen. Cosmetically the gold fretwire and the wood fretboard binding works together really well. I had my guitar topped off with Waverly slothead tuners with Snakewood buttons which is like a cherry on the top of the sundae. Haven’t plugged it in yet to tell you how the TLD line driver works but if it’s similar to the previous versions it will not disappoint. Overall could not be more pleased with this one. Mine is s/n 02.

LEGEND
I had no idea what to expect with this one. Never had a cedar topped Legend style guitar. But all the ingredients seemed right so I took the plunge. I’ll start with the cosmetics since I pretty much bought this based on looks. In short it is drop dead stunning to look at. Everything that I already wrote about the FD14 is exactly true about the looks of this Legend. Basically the same guitar with narrower 14 fret neck, flat headstock, OP-Pro-S and a mid depth cutaway contour bowl. Oh the bowl … WOW. Probably the best aspect of this guitar in my opinion. The original contour bowl was a big step forward but still “not quite right”. But cutting down the depth just a tad on this new one, I would say that Darren and team have hit a home run. Can’t describe it in words, but it just feels RIGHT. Overall just a beautiful guitar that is executed extremely well. Sonically hard to describe. It’s brighter than its FD14 cousin with basically the same top and I would say it really sounds like no other Ovation I have owned. Maybe close to the wood topped Adamas guitars? It does not blow you away, and I would not say it’s “better” than a nice spruce topped guitar like the Custom Legend CM30 reissue or the John Lennon reissue. But it’s very, very nice in its own specific way. Mine is s/n 02.

I should add a comment about all three guitars … the SET UP right out of the box is absolutely PERFECT. You could not do a better job and there is absolutely nothing you could tweak or improve on no matter how much you paid. It’s amazing how these guys do it.

On a slightly less positive note, I am not thrilled about the change in headstock logo. Yes it is subtle, but the original Ovation logo was ICONIC and why in the hell would you screw with it? It was a change just for the sake of change in my opinion and not a good one. I doubt you’ll be seeing Mercedes changing the star on the hood of their cars anytime soon.

OK, on to the big dog …

ADAMAS AN-40 BEARCLAW
From the darkest days of fender skrewing the pooch and all my prognostications that Ovation as we knew it was dead and buried, I never in a million years dreamed that THIS could come out the other end of the pipe. Gesus mother fetching son of dog this is one amazing execution of an idea that just blows away anything you could have thought possible. One strum and I immediately had to take a s**t because the guitar was vibrating my gut so much. There have been very few guitars that have brought this kind of reaction (maybe that’s a GOOD thing). Anyway, how the heck to describe it … if you strip this down it’s basically like a U681 in terms of volume, clarity and projection. But I always found the U681 almost uncontrollable. The AN40 is like you took one of these and sent it away to military training school for a few years and now it just obeys your every command. On top of that you sent it to finishing school to learn some manners and dressed it up at Burberry in a nice set of fashionable clothes. If there was ever an Ovation or Adamas that would make you DROOL, this is the one. I tried to A/B it to #42 and to the 08C and it’s a tad “different”. Not sure how to describe it, they are just different animals. Similar to the textured tops, you “hear every string” on the AN40, which is not the case on a lot of guitars where it’s all kind of “muddy”. Maybe it sounds kind of like the “Q” but with an added airiness and more volume. Suffice it to say that I’m NOT disappointed with the sound. Cosmetically … what can I say. It’s an absolutely drool worthy guitar. To be fair, at 4 or 5 thousand dollars it BETTER be drool worthy but I’ve seen plenty of guitars in this range that are NOT. Only criticism, I’m slightly disappointed that the bowl has an access hatch in it. I mean, I completely understand WHY, but it looks kind of cheezy on such a high end guitar. Oh, special call out to the neck … basically the same neck as the FD14 ,,, man oh man these 1-3/4 necks in this profile are just about my favorite player. Very very nice indeed. And the wood facing on the peghead is absolutely gorgeous. Admittedly a 12 fret, non-cutaway wideneck will not be everyone’s cup of tea. Especially in this price range. But if you want something absolutely TOP SHELF the AN40 is a winner in every sense of the word. I am completely THRILLED with this instrument. Mine is s/n 02.
alpep
Posted 2017-05-30 3:45 PM (#535350 - in reply to #535330)

what he said

btw I'll have an fd14 for sale very soon

and an an40
AstroDan
Posted 2017-05-30 6:33 PM (#535354 - in reply to #535349)

Standingovation - LEGEND  Oh the bowl … WOW. Probably the best aspect of this guitar in my opinion. The original contour bowl was a big step forward but still “not quite right”. But cutting down the depth just a tad on this new one, I would say that Darren and team have hit a home run. 

Great reviews!

I would say that the "deeper" hand laid bowl on the 1617ALE is fractionally better. JMHO

(I like the new logo, too)

Very happy owner of #16

arumako
Posted 2017-05-30 8:15 PM (#535359 - in reply to #535349)

Standingovation - 2017-05-30 5:21 AM

ADAMAS AN-40 BEARCLAW
From the darkest days of fender skrewing the pooch and all my prognostications that Ovation as we knew it was dead and buried, I never in a million years dreamed that THIS could come out the other end of the pipe. Gesus mother fetching son of dog this is one amazing execution of an idea that just blows away anything you could have thought possible. One strum and I immediately had to take a s**t because the guitar was vibrating my gut so much.

Years ago, a friend of mine let me play his 1687 (just for a few minutes). That "vibrating my gut" thing happened to me, and I still can't get that resonance out of my body! Incredible! You sure do have a way with words Standingovation! DW ought to publish this one!

And thanks for all the great reviews...keep 'em coming!
bburg
Posted 2017-05-31 1:04 PM (#535367 - in reply to #535330)

Thanks Dave for your great comment. That was exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm also very happy with mine, can't say every bad about finish or craftmenship. I'm always amazed when I look at the neck:
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/megabbs/photos/show-album.asp?albumid...
That curly maple looks so nice, especialy when you turn it in the light. Sonicaly I would atest her sounding in the upper lique, different to any other I own, but really good for a new "unopened" guitar.

Bernie
ProfessorBB
Posted 2017-06-01 8:58 AM (#535381 - in reply to #535330)

You've amassed quite a nice collection there, Bernie.
bburg
Posted 2017-06-01 12:00 PM (#535383 - in reply to #535330)

Thanks, Prof.BB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)