The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Recently got a shiney bowl, looking for possible member former owner.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Michael R. Winters
Posted 2017-06-04 1:33 AM (#535409)
Subject: Recently got a shiney bowl, looking for possible member former owner.

I got a four digit shiney bowl the other day off South Carolina C-section, #1945.
The Ovation registry site shows Larry Altman as the owner.
Is he a member?

I have some questions about the guitar specifically, it is obviously a little older than my A-970 but something appears odd.
It looks like it is a three piece top, has the five point bridge, schallers,etc. but the rosette is much different than my 68.
Mine is inlaid into the guitar under the finish, this one looks like a later overlaid rosette that has been put under the laquer, kind of hard to describe but I'm having trouble posting a pic...
I will try to get some pics to post.
The guitar has finish cracks as is the norm but it sounds and plays great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2017-06-05 11:45 AM (#535421 - in reply to #535409)
Subject: RE: Recently got a shiney bowl, looking for possible member former owner.

Something like this?

Michael R. Winters
Posted 2017-06-08 10:36 AM (#535450 - in reply to #535409)
Subject: Re: Recently got a shiney bowl, looking for possible member former owner.

That is what the rosette on mine looks like.
This one is different in shape.
I've gotta figure out how to make pics work for me??
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2017-06-08 12:56 PM (#535451 - in reply to #535409)
Subject: Re: Recently got a shiney bowl, looking for possible member former owner.

I think I figured out why it looked weird.
It looks as though at some point somebody cut the original inlay out and glued in a later style rosette.

Also, there is a number. 2 imprinted on the back of the headstock. Does this mean it was a second? I've never seen that on an old Ovation.
Lastly, one the base of the neck looking at it from inside the bowl it looks like the number 996 is very faintly imprinted in the wood.
Any thoughts?
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2017-06-08 1:17 PM (#535452 - in reply to #535409)

I can't find the thread but I remember several years ago someone posting about a MS factory repair where they inlaid a stick-on... lacking a rosette from that era.

As for the"2"... yes that was used to mark a factory second in the early years. And I also believe you have found the serial number on the neck block.

Be cool to see pictures
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2017-06-08 1:22 PM (#535453 - in reply to #535452)

Sorry... I completely missed that you already know the SN. Weird they don't match. Maybe it had something to do with them marking it as a second.
Michael R. Winters
Posted 2017-06-08 1:34 PM (#535454 - in reply to #535409)

Well the sticker says 1945, this impression in the neck is so faint it could be that it just looks like I am seeing numbers.
This may be that same guitar that you mentioned.
As I said in the original post, the Ovation gallery registry says it belongs to member Larry Altman (???)
I'll keep trying to get the pics to work.
DanSavage
Posted 2017-06-08 5:00 PM (#535455 - in reply to #535454)

Michael R. Winters - 2017-06-08 11:34 AM

I'll keep trying to get the pics to work.

Inserting pics is pretty easy.

1) Upload the photos to a web site. This can be PhotoBucket or even the OFC's own photo gallery.

2) When adding/editing a post, click on the Use Rich Text Editor button in the lower left corner.

3) Place your cursor in the text editing box where you want the photo to appear, then click Insert/Edit Image icon above.

4) This will open the Insert/Edit Image dialog box. Copy the image's URL and paste into the Image URL input box, then click the Insert button.

And, your image will be inserted into the post.

jay
Posted 2017-06-08 6:06 PM (#535456 - in reply to #535453)

Yes...the neck stamp should match the SN on the sticker.

As Jonmark said...the mismatch could be the reason for the 2.

Or it was originally a very early guitar, that was sent back and the body was replaced to the original neck. 

Or the body was original and they needed a another neck and ol 996 was a cul that they used to replace the neck.

You need a starting point and the only one you have, fortunately, registered the guitar at some point.

This might be the guy you are looking for. There are others... I have never had anyone get upset for inquiring about something like this. 

Darkbar
Posted 2017-06-13 6:31 PM (#535518 - in reply to #535456)

jay - 2017-06-08 7:06 PM

I have never had anyone get upset for inquiring about something like this. 

I have seen LOTS of people get upset over the stupidest things....now nothing surprises me.
jay
Posted 2017-06-13 7:17 PM (#535519 - in reply to #535518)

"I have seen LOTS of people get upset over the stupidest things....now nothing surprises me."

Hey Bob...screw you. Keep your motherf*&^ing opinions to yourself. 

Edited by jay 2017-06-13 7:18 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)