The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
replacing ovation breadwinner tone control and switches

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Stan Whitehead
Posted 2017-07-15 5:22 PM (#536778)
Subject: replacing ovation breadwinner tone control and switches

tone control went out...only works at zero. would like to replace tone pot, and switches (chrome) while I'm at it. any idea where replacments might be found? suppliers email?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-07-16 7:33 PM (#536785 - in reply to #536778)
Subject: Re: replacing ovation breadwinner tone control and switches

If it's original, it could be, and likely is more than just a pot. There is a circuit that the pot is mounted to which could be the culprit as electronic parts (especially capacitors) from that era are prone to failure. Additionally, the pots are "stacked" pots and depending on the version, the tangs are on opposite sides of the pot. Some of us (like myself for instance" have used ones we can take off an otherwise toasted pre-amp, but finding new ones is tough. As far as the switches go, they are no longer manufactured by anyone. There are a couple of sources where they "might" have a couple left over. Contact Ovation directly and see what they have to say about those.
Stan Whitehead
Posted 2017-07-17 1:12 PM (#536792 - in reply to #536778)

reason for suspecting the tone pot is the carbon wafer track protruding from the top (or the 250K portion of the 250K/750K stack pot). apparently all of the carbon track (but for a short piece still remaining at the zero point) cracked apart and fell out of the small slit in the can above the resistive wafer.
considering using a stacked 500K/250K, audio taper pot and using small flexible wire to resolder the 250K to the existing 250K point and the 500K to the existing 750K point on the circuit board (removing the factory installed potentiometer. bought the breadwinner new in 1976 and have used it
extensively since. problem with the pot just a month ago. guitar works as long as the tone control is at the "0" position. move it to near "1" or greater and nothing works. return tone to "0" and guitar is fully functional, just can't adjust to more treble.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-07-17 2:18 PM (#536793 - in reply to #536778)

Ahh, ok so you've been inside. I have a stacked pot I could take off a blown pre-amp I have. email me at mileskb at aol dot com and we'll work out the details. Also, by time you read this, you're a full member and can post in the general section.
Stan Whitehead
Posted 2017-07-18 1:37 PM (#536799 - in reply to #536778)

email sent. await your reply. my email...bobcat5656@yahoo.com. thank you, sir.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)