The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
How many is too many?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

James Smith
Posted 2017-10-09 5:33 AM (#537657)
Subject: How many is too many?

Although I am relatively new to Ovations despite having owned one in the late 80s, I am acquiring the at a ridiculous rate. Despite having an Elite 2778AZ and a Celebrity CC24, I am waiting for the arrival of three more. An 1861LX Balladeer, a Celebrity CSE 48, and an 80s model Elite. My plan is to keep (maybe) the ones I like best and sell the other. I think I am picking up bargains (for Brazil prices) and can sell them locally at a small profit.

There are none that I could find in my part of the country (NE Brazil) but I have located a few in the São Paulo area. It does require some stern negotiating on my part. As I have learned in other businesses, you have to be prepared to walk away when the cost becomes too high to allow a profit. In any case, it's something I enjoy and you can always play the ones you can't sell.

Fortunately, I can do minor repairs and adjustments as well as cosmetic things. That helps, I am sure. It's almost like dealing in used sports cars (something I have done in the past). You have to be able to research the product and enjoy taking a small risk now and then.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2017-10-09 10:33 AM (#537661 - in reply to #537657)
Subject: Re: How many is too many?

Uh oh, you've caught the disease!

I find there is a number of guitars I am comfortable with. When I exceed that number I get the urge to sell one. The ideal number of guitars changes depending on how much I am playing them and what I am playing. I don't like having guitars just hanging around which never get played. Sometimes I buy a guitar but find I don't bond with it, or it is a duplicate in terms of functionality with others I have. Years ago I traded my '07 Ovation Collectors Edition because it was occupying the same niche as my Adamas 2080. Yes, the '07 is that good of a guitar!

I never expect to turn a profit on guitars, but I think I can overall break even. Which makes it a fantastic deal to have a room full of great guitars for no net cost.
Oddball
Posted 2017-10-09 10:36 AM (#537662 - in reply to #537657)

Just curious how you find Ovations in Brazil. I have read that there is eBay there, and something called mercadolibre. Also curious if you've bought any guitars on American eBay and had them shipped to you - and how well that worked. I know eBay here has this global shipping option where you send it to some kind of distribution center here and they take care of the rest. But always wondered how this worked from the buyer's side, and what sort of shipping costs YOU had to pay. Oh, and the 'how many is too many?' question - if it works for you like it did for me, your wife will tell you when its "too many". She will be wrong, of course.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2017-10-09 11:04 AM (#537664 - in reply to #537657)

I have reached that point a couple of times, but then I get the bug for something else. I've been in a holding pattern for quite a while, but I haven't been playing much, so maybe I need another guitar to get me back into it. I haven't had a paycheck for a couple of months, though, and I don't want to hit my wife up for guitar money. She had different ideas for our 40th anniversary present. Imagine that.
James Smith
Posted 2017-10-09 11:57 AM (#537666 - in reply to #537662)

I have been dealing with Mercado Livre. It covers all of Brazil and more if you want to go outside the country. You can negotiate price and details with the seller. If you pay through ML, you will receive a guarantee for the product and it's delivery. I have been dealing with them for years and have only had to claim the guarantee once when a computer KB never arrived.

I currently have four guitars and three on the way. One of the Ovations, a CC24 Celebrity, is going on a local (free) board that I have used before. I also have some guitar hangers on order from StewMac.com

I have checker around on that board and in local music stores and none of them have any Ovations. So I suspect there is a market here.

Too many will be when I no longer have anywhere to store them. That will be when my dog starts to complain about his favorite sleeping spots being occupied.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)