The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Member with an Enigma...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

NickS
Posted 2017-10-17 11:23 AM (#537789)
Subject: New Member with an Enigma...

A few days ago I acquired a really nice Sunburst finished 1984 model "1312", according to the blue "Made in USA" label. Nice mahogany neck, chrome tuners, volume control near heal of neck. Truss rod adjustment is through soundhole. Typical deep bowl. Sounds to me more like a model 1512 from what I have researched so far.

Any thoughts. Serial Number is 317553, so the year is good for a Balladier model. perhaps a worker grabbed the wrong label? Perhaps an employee, Mr. Frankenstein perhaps, wished to create a entirely new species of 1312??

No scratches, dents or chips, and very little fret wear. It did have a belly bulge of about 1/4 inch that I'm slowly working out. The original brown molded case came with it and that's in great condition also. Cleans up very good and looks near new overall.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2017-10-17 2:15 PM (#537790 - in reply to #537789)
Subject: Re: New Member with an Enigma...

The difference between a 1312 and a 1512 is the Electronics.
To install electronics all that is needed is three holes in the bowl, and on hole in the saddle slot.
(two holes in the bowl if it does not have a factory battery box)
So it is quite likely that your guitar was built as a 1312, then was electrified.
That could have happened at the Factory, at a guitar shop, or in someone's home.

The important thing is does it Play nicely?
NickS
Posted 2017-10-17 5:50 PM (#537792 - in reply to #537790)

Looks like a factory job on the inside. Besides the bridge has the same Piezo setup as the 1512. The 1312 would not have had that as it has a thin bridge saddle vs the one I have has the thicker saddle.
NickS
Posted 2017-10-17 7:10 PM (#537794 - in reply to #537789)

I'm 69. This is the second acoustic guitar I have ever owned. I learned on my first one a very long time ago, I don't even remember what brand it was my Mom got it with Green Stamps in the early 60's... I have a few Strats and an Ibanez hollow body. Have not had a lot of practice through the years. I had been looking for an acoustic to find me for about a year or so. This one just presented itself to me in a way I could not pass up.

It discovered me in a resale shop tucked neatly away behind a counter. I looked at it and asked to see it. I looked it over and knew it needed some work. I say the price tag and it said $99.99. I was considering if it was worth it when the manager approached and said that a customer had just returned the guitar because it did not work and was refunded his money. The manager than said that if I was interested in it he would sell it to me for 35.00. Enough said. Done deal. Wow an Ovation for that price, plus the hard case.

Got it home and cleaned it up. Plugged it in and no output. OK. Looked inside and saw the battery holder. Jumped on my computer and downloaded the '84 users manual. Had to run out and get a couple of 9 volt batteries, and some new strings. Replaced the battery and plugged it in. Nice tones coming through my amp. So much for did not work. I was sitting there thanking the UNK customer for returning the guitar, and the manager for giving me such a great deal on the broken guitar.

I am now in the process of getting the belly to sit flat. A bit of humidity, heat and compression for the next few days should reset the top, at least that's what I am hoping is going to happen. I have seen some movement in just the few hours since the first treatment. I hope it works. The string height at the 12th fret was almost 3/8th inch. If I'm not doing it right please let me know. Thanks.
alpep
Posted 2017-10-18 3:31 PM (#537801 - in reply to #537789)

nice score
NickS
Posted 2017-10-18 6:58 PM (#537805 - in reply to #537801)

Thank you alpep. I can hardly contain myself with this find. Waiting for it to be ready to play is almost unbearable. If I was a puppy I'd be wetting my pants with excitement right now. The waiting is the hardest part, thank you Tom Petty.

I want to thank those who have created all the great information on these guitars. Simple stunning.
NickS
Posted 2017-10-25 6:25 PM (#537887 - in reply to #537789)

The belly bow is under control. Suggestions for a neck reset. 1. Take the neck off and use a shim or shave wood from the heal area. 2. Heat the bowl and pull the neck down carefully and slowly until desired action height is achieved. Anyone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)