The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
PC recording interface and software

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Brian T
Posted 2017-11-04 2:48 PM (#537997)
Subject: PC recording interface and software

Hello folks, its been a awhile since I have posted here.

I want to do some recording and audio editing of some old files using my Windows 7 64-bit PC and some sort of USB interface. I have a very old Lexicon Omega USB mixer interface with Cubase software, I doubt the Cubase will even install on my PC anymore. I have various condenser and dynamic mics.

I was thinking of updating to something newer. (USB Interface and software). Typically I will record one or two channels. The key thing for me is simplicity and ease of use. It took me quite a while to figure out 1/4 of the featutres on the Lexicon and the old Cubase, I am not looking to mix the next Christmas album for Mannheim Steamroller, I just want to record more of my practice sessions and maybe do a little editing and a bit of multi tracking.

So I was wondering what you folks use and recommend.

Thanks

Brian_T

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Love O Fair
Posted 2017-11-04 3:21 PM (#537998 - in reply to #537997)
Subject: Re: PC recording interface and software

My personal fave is Adobe Audition. I have been using it for almost 20 years since back when it was owned by Cool Edit. It has all the recording, edit, multi-tracking and effect features you mentioned. There are several versions and form factors, including installed software or monthly cloud services, ranging in price from used CD versions on Ebay for around $50, to the newer professional wiz-bang stuff directly from Adobe that can run from low hundreds into the thousands. I have used many of them, but I personally like the older versions for ease of use, and from what you are saying your own needs and desires are, that's what I would go shopping for. Even though many of the older, dedicated software versions came out when Windows 98-XP was current, I have installed older versions on Windows 7 and it runs just fine. Here's a v 1.0 on Ebay that would probably suit your needs perfectly assuming you install it on Windows 7 or lower (or possibly Windows 8 or above.. though I have never tried it).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Adobe-Audition-1-0-Full-Retail-for-...

There are a LOT of apps available from a LOT of companies. Audition just happens to be my preference. Hope this helps.

Edited by Love O Fair 2017-11-04 3:42 PM
BanjoJ
Posted 2017-11-05 2:46 PM (#538008 - in reply to #537997)
Subject: RE: PC recording interface and software

I've been using Audacity for a few years and have found it pretty easy to use.

It is free, open source, multi-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing. I run it on Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit.

It has taught me quite a bit about recording. I also use it to edit audio files that have problems or tracks that I want to delete or add sections to.

http://www.audacityteam.org/
stephent28
Posted 2017-11-05 5:08 PM (#538010 - in reply to #537997)
Subject: Re: PC recording interface and software

Current Cubase if you are comfortable with it. Lots of versions depending on your needs and you might get upgrade pricing.

Reaper is another option with free trial and low price if you decide to buy it.

Both programs have nice starting presets that will handle 95% of your needs without having to RTFM.

Edited by stephent28 2017-11-05 5:11 PM
DaveKell
Posted 2017-11-15 11:52 AM (#538054 - in reply to #538008)
Subject: RE: PC recording interface and software

BanjoJ - 2017-11-05 2:46 PM

I've been using Audacity for a few years and have found it pretty easy to use.

Another vote for Audacity. I downloaded it and within a half hour recorded the latest song I wrote. Sent the song off to an old friend who is a well known Nashville songwriter and he flipped over it. My first recording was crude in my opinion, I didn't take time to learn the software yet. But with a tweak of pitch and the addition of reverb it made a passable demo good enough to excite my friend whose songs have been recorded by Garth Brooks, John Denver, Charlie Pride, Dianna Ross and many others.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)