The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Member - Ovation Preacher Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Johnny Alien
Posted 2017-11-16 7:56 PM (#538064)
Subject: New Member - Ovation Preacher Question

Hi! New to this site although I have browsed it a lot. I just got an Ovation Preacher and I love it. Interestingly it has the hole drilled in the body for the old style bridge but has the last schaller style bridge on it. The hole is plugged. Anyway it seems to have excessive lean to it. Much more then I would expect from a standard Gibson wraparound. I this normal for these bridges? Is that how it's supposed to be? If not is it possible to use standard tone pros locking studs to correct the problem?

I am aware of the top to bottom lean...I have the treble side set lower by preference.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-11-17 5:22 PM (#538066 - in reply to #538064)
Subject: Re: New Member - Ovation Preacher Question

It looks like the studs are not screwed into their collars in the body as they should. The tops should be level with the top of the guitar, or maybe the stud is bent? If you detune the guitar, put a capo high up on the neck (so you don't have to restring) and slide the bridge off the studs you should see what's going on. Maybe take of picture so we can see the stud going into the top.
Johnny Alien
Posted 2017-11-18 6:46 AM (#538067 - in reply to #538064)

So I had the bridge off before but can do it again and take a photo. I am not sure I am understanding though. The two screws are used to set the height of the strings/action. They can be screwed in a lot further but the action would be unusable. The strings would set on the fretboard. They aren't bent but there is a ton of play on the bridge when I put it on the posts. Up and down play that is. Thanks for the help!
Johnny Alien
Posted 2017-11-18 6:58 AM (#538068 - in reply to #538064)

This one on ebay seems to have the same thing. I just wasn't sure if it was "supposed" to be that way.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Late-1970s-Ovation-Preacher-Electric-Guitar...
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-11-18 2:22 PM (#538070 - in reply to #538064)
Subject: RE: New Member - Ovation Preacher Question

Your picture above, it looks like the post isn't sitting correctly. Like it's not the right collar and it just looks wonky to me. As far as the bridge height, it looks fine. What's important is the angle of the strings across the bridge. That looks good as well.

It may be an optical illusion, but here is what I'm seeing highlighted.

(oddpost.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments oddpost.jpg (137KB - 0 downloads)
Johnny Alien
Posted 2017-11-18 4:46 PM (#538074 - in reply to #538064)

Understood! I now see what you mean level with the top. Not a height relation issue but a horizontal alignment issue. I don't know if it's a photo thing. I will take a closer look and maybe take the photo you requested. Are those posts standard sizes? Like if I wanted to go with a tonepros? Or better yet I would really like to go back to the brass saddle/plastic bridge. I think since this has the hole in the body I should be able to go back to the older style if I find one. Would that be accurate? I know people don't like these pickups but I actually think they are pretty cool sounding.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-11-18 6:50 PM (#538077 - in reply to #538074)

Johnny Alien - 2017-11-18 2:46 PM

Understood! I now see what you mean level with the top. Not a height relation issue but a horizontal alignment issue. I don't know if it's a photo thing. I will take a closer look and maybe take the photo you requested. Are those posts standard sizes? Like if I wanted to go with a tonepros? Or better yet I would really like to go back to the brass saddle/plastic bridge. I think since this has the hole in the body I should be able to go back to the older style if I find one. Would that be accurate? I know people don't like these pickups but I actually think they are pretty cool sounding.

So regarding the posts, no they are not standard. Sometimes people try to use standard ones and the result ends up looking like what I'm seeing in the picture.

As far as switching back to the original brass, yes. You'll need new posts, but they do fit into the same flanges or whatever you call them (I think they do anyway). You will also need the special nut that goes in from the back (after you clear the hole), and of course, you'll need the bridge.

As for the pickups, they are great on Preacher Deluxe and Breadwinner/Deacons all due to the preamps. When in the regular Preacher, I find them to sound more like a fat single-coil than a humbucker if that makes sense. Kind-of-a one-trick-pony soundwise, but if you like that sound... then rock on !!!! It does that one sound VERY well, and I like that it's a unique sound too.
Johnny Alien
Posted 2017-11-18 8:43 PM (#538082 - in reply to #538064)

It's for sure leaning now that I look at it. So maybe someone tried to change the posts at some point and that's what happened. Not sure really how to fix that issue. Especially if someone put aftermarket studs/posts into it.

I am a singe coil fan so I think what you are describing is exactly why I like them. They are more like a P-90'ish sound than a humbucker.

Thanks for the help!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-11-19 10:19 AM (#538089 - in reply to #538064)

That's why I suggested taking the bridge off a looking. A lot of the other brand studs and collars are smaller than Ovations' Maybe there isn't even a collar and it's just setting in the wood.... lots of maybe this maybe that. You may just need to get the correct collar and stud and drop it in.
Johnny Alien
Posted 2017-11-24 4:07 PM (#538147 - in reply to #538064)

Thanks for all of the help! I picked up a second Preacher and it has the older plastic/brass bridge and I for sure like that bridge better. If I have to do some work I think I would rather just refactor it to work with the old bridge. Are there any sites or anything where you can find some old Ovation solidbody stuff like that?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2017-11-24 4:37 PM (#538149 - in reply to #538147)

Johnny Alien - 2017-11-24 2:07 PM
Are there any sites or anything where you can find some old Ovation solidbody stuff like that?

You are there...

Also, you're a full member so feel free to post in any of the main forums, just as maybe the about my guitar or electric guitar section as the project progresses

If you have a second preacher with the correct bridge you like, maybe spruce that one up how you like it.

Miles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)