The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
schaller tuner upgrade on 1993 Collector?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

Mike S.
Posted 2018-04-12 3:28 PM (#543212)
Subject: schaller tuner upgrade on 1993 Collector?

Hello, Everyone,
I haven't been on the OFC site for some time now. Being newly married has kept me busier than I expected, which is a good thing. I see that some OFC members are now upgrading the tuners on their guitars. My 1993 Collectors Series has the older Schaller M6 gold tuners, w/ebony buttons. I believe the gear ratio was/is 12:1 for these at the time, but some can always correct me on this. I've seen my 1993 Collectors guitar valued on Reverb.com at over $2,100.00 USD, and I was wondering if upgrading the tuners to the new Schaller M6 set, which has a larger/ smaller? ratio of 18:1, would de-value my guitar? The original 12:1 tuners are showing their age, and slipping a bit now. They have the older Schaller, "S -script " logo on the back,( surprise, no Ovation guitar logo on these, folks? ), and the new M6 tuners look to be a simple drop-in replacement, from the angle at the back of the tuners. Replacing the tuners in NOT an absolute necessity right now, but it will have to be done at some point, I do believe. SWMBO may not agree with me on this, but doesn't play guitar, so there's that to consider. They are pricey, but I think they would be worth it. Any thoughts from anyone, at OFC, on this matter would be appreciated, and yes, Nancy, that includes you, too! I'm just thinking out loud on this for now. My thanks in advance.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2018-04-12 3:31 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-04-12 4:03 PM (#543213 - in reply to #543212)
Subject: Re: schaller tuner upgrade on 1993 Collector?

"would de-value my guitar?"
Are you planning on selling it?
Then don't worry about it.

Slipping tuners would also "de-value" your guitar.
Just keep the old tuners for posterity.

You do realize that Ovations are not known for being good investments for resale?
That is why us poor folks buy them.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2018-04-12 4:41 PM (#543214 - in reply to #543212)

I don't think the new tuners will increase the value enough to pay the cost of the tuners. But I also don't think you'll get $2100 out of it, either. If it caused a concern about SWMBO, don't do it. Mine would be happy if I just put new tuners on instead of buying another guitar, but she got over it by the time my birthday came around. I just won't be able to use the "I'll only have one 65th birthday" excuse any more.
Mike S.
Posted 2018-04-13 4:20 PM (#543231 - in reply to #543214)

Hello, Everyone,
Thanks OMA, and Mark in Boise for the kind advice. Yes, I do know that Ovations are NOT considered good investments for re-sale. In fact, I got the 1993 Collectors, here, on KIJIJI-CANADA, last September 2017, just before I got married, for less than one-third of its original USD value, at the time it was made in 1993! ( I really have NO IDEA of what it's worth in CANADA, as of now. I never bothered to find out.) I played it at my own wedding, so, NO, I'M NOT planning on selling it AT ALL. It took me almost a year to acquire it, after some hair-raising negotiation with the original owner, who then suffered seller's remorse after I bought it from him?, and YES, I really love this guitar!! That being said, I'm hoping my good wife will buy the new tuners for my upcoming birthday in May? Stranger things have happened. I've had to buy some very costly medical supplies recently, so the new tuners may have to wait for a bit after all, like, when I'm 65, too! It's good to know what I'm up against, and have some options. "A man's got to know his limitations." (Clint Eastwood) Again, many thanks.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2018-04-13 4:30 PM
DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-04-17 11:31 AM (#543277 - in reply to #543231)

Hi Mike,
if you want to upgade your Ovation with Schallers, you have many options, because the Schaller M6 is a modular system.
I´ve seen unneccessarily wrong Schallers on so many guitars!
The new M6 will have a better ratio and you can order them with different shaft lenghts. Best measure carefully which is the shortest available for your guitar and you may reach a better string angle on the nut than with the standard tuners from Ovation. Remember why slothead guitars are told to sound better, one of the features is the string angle!
And carefully choose the right M6 body so that you don´t have to drill new holes in the back of the guitar head.
You also may choose the colour of the single parts, maybe gold mat with ebony knobs?or black with shiny silver knobs? depends on the guitar and your personal taste. But do NOT just order standard Schaller M6 without thinking it over carefully.Thus you really may UPGRADE your guitar.

You can find all these options on the schaller site.
Mike S.
Posted 2018-04-20 11:04 PM (#543345 - in reply to #543277)

Hi, DetlefMichel,
Thank you very much for the information about the new Schaller M6 tuners. My 1993 Ovation Collectors series uses the M6180 body, so no new holes are needed, and I do like the OEM Scaller gold tuners w/ ebony buttons. I'm not sure about the string post shaft heights though, so I will talk to my guitar tech about this aspect. I still may just go with a newer Schaller M6 standard Ovation replacement tuner set, that now has the higher gear ratio of 1:18, but would preserve the look of the guitar. I'm just wanting to get a replacement set with a higher gear ratio, because the OEM Scaller 12:1 tuners on my guitar are slipping now. Again, many thanks.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2018-04-20 11:08 PM
Mike S.
Posted 2018-09-07 11:32 AM (#545174 - in reply to #543212)
Subject: Re: schaller tuner upgrade on 1993 Collector?/update

Hello, Everyone,
I'm not sure whether this requires a new thread or not? I got my 1993 Ovation Collectors Series back from the shop yesterday. My guitar tech says the OEM tuners are fine, but the battery for the pre-amp was/is wonky? He told me an Energizer 9-V LITHIUM battery is NOT the proper one for the OEM OP-24 pre-amp in this guitar. He recommended the 9-V Mallory Duracell. Has anyone else had problems with Lithium Batteries in the Ovation guitar pre-amps before? This is the first I've heard about it.
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA

Edited by Mike S. 2018-09-07 11:37 AM
DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-09-10 12:52 PM (#545195 - in reply to #543212)

I use Ansmann 9v Lithium batteries with all of my Ovations and have no problems. The only difference is that a normal battery slowly gets weak and you know when to replace and a lithium battery will one day be without function within seconds with no warning. I lately sold some Ovations to OFC members and all of these should have these batteries on board, maybe some of the buyers had issues with them? I hope not.
Mike S.
Posted 2018-09-10 5:45 PM (#545200 - in reply to #543212)

Hi, DetlefMichel,
Thank you so very much for the kind reply. I'm not familiar with the Ansmann brand, so I'll check it out online. I'll also live quite close to a major battery warehouse/supply chain store here in my city, and they have been a huge help in the past. Unfortunately, for me, I have to take a bus/ taxi to shop there, as they do not deliver. Bummer. Again, thank you for this new information.
Mike S.,
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
alpep
Posted 2018-09-11 9:45 AM (#545206 - in reply to #543212)

send me a pic of the tuners I may have Ovation replacements
Mike S.
Posted 2018-09-11 3:09 PM (#545208 - in reply to #543212)

Hi, Al,
Thanks for the kind offer of help with the tuners. I can't do pics, because I don't have a camera of ANY kind?!WOWSERS!! I'm technically challenged, eh? They are the older Schaller M6-180 type, 12:1 ratio , gold w / ebony buttons, and a Schaller 'S' logo, not the Ovation guitar one on the back, as mentioned in my earlier posts. I was looking to upgrade to the newest 18:1 ratio of the same model, but since my guitar tech said the 1993 OEM tuners I still have on my guitar are fine, and newest ones cost over $250.00 CDN for the set, I have to pass. I'm still discombobulated about the battery, so any help from you this situation would be appreciated. How can I reach you to buy some accessories like batteries, strings, and other stuff from you? Again, thanks for the kind offer.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)