The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Howdy

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Rooster
Posted 2010-11-06 12:42 PM (#2642)
Subject: Howdy

Just registered, greetings all. I recently picked up a 1112 in sunburst. Have played the crap out of it and am in need of changing the strings. Suggestions? Have Mississipi Mellows 11's and Martin 80/20 Bronze Light on hand. I will be looking around for posted recommendations, but figured I'd ask here as well. Also, is the Dunlop 65 Maint Kit a good choice for cleaning and fingerprint protection etc?? Looking forward to reaping the benefits of membership here!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-11-06 1:09 PM (#2643 - in reply to #2642)
Subject: Re: Howdy

Welcome Rooster. Hope you enjoy the board. Take a day or two and go back through the archives and look at the early days (2002-2003). You'll enjoy reading a lot of history.

Your 1112 is a real workhorse of a guitar. It's got a real big sound. I would suggest putting on a phosepher bronze string instead of a straight bronze. The PB would have a slightly less bright tone which to my ear suits that kind of guitar. As to the brand, it's dealers choice. You're going to have to try different brands to see what works. I'd also suggest going with at least .12's (standard light gauge) and all the way up to .13's (medium) if you can. They'll give you the most tone.

As to Dunlop 65, it works just fine. But so does lemon pledge. It's all the same. Get something to work into the fingerboard and bridge when you change strings to keep them from drying out. Maybe Kyser Lem-Oil. I also use Howard Feed-N-Wax that I get from the hardware store.

Nothing fancy, just tried and true products.....
Rooster
Posted 2010-11-06 1:28 PM (#2644 - in reply to #2642)

Awesome, thanks! BTW, the Mellows are PB. I'll give them a shot and if necessary, will go back to 12's. Cheers
Rooster
Posted 2010-11-07 10:21 AM (#2645 - in reply to #2642)

Done yesterday afternoon. Before re-stringing, hit the fingerboard and bridge with lemon oil and wiped down body with sl damp old t-shirt. Followed with very light wipe down using lemon pledge and a buff with a clean cloth. Wow, I thought it looked pretty nice before. Now it really stands out next to my other guitars lined up on stands. Guess I have to repeat with them! The MS Mellows 11's sound purty nice. A run through of I'm Your Captain and some acoustic Floyd worked well. After I blast them to crap, I'll give a set of PB 12's a shot.
Mucho thanks!!!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2010-11-07 10:34 AM (#2646 - in reply to #2642)

Another satisfied customer.....
MWoody
Posted 2010-11-07 11:57 AM (#2647 - in reply to #2642)

And you post with the Big Dogs now as well.
Rooster
Posted 2010-11-07 7:06 PM (#2648 - in reply to #2642)

Nice!
Rooster
Posted 2010-12-06 9:12 PM (#2649 - in reply to #2642)

string change and 12's are it, fo' schnizzle!
thanks again, moody!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)