The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
6756LX?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> About my guitar...Message format

drummer44
Posted 2018-06-05 2:55 PM (#543961)
Subject: 6756LX?

Greetings. Old guy here... hoping maybe someone call tell me a bit more about a Legend LX 12-string I found used back in 2009. Looks like boatloads of info here!

The grey background label inside mine – with the illustration of the New Hartford facility -- says Model No. 6756LX, Legend LX, and Made in New Hartford CT USA. The inside of the bowl is stamped “Bowl Made By Ovation USA” in the area in between the label and the neck bolt. The inside of the bowl is also stamped “04” near where the neck attaches to the bowl.

The top/soundboard color is something like BCB/Black Cherry Burst, CCB/Cherry Cherry Burst, RRB/Ruby Red Burst... since I think there's a bit of "burst" (darker around the edges)... or maybe TPB/Transparent Burgundy (if I'm imagining that edge thing). But I haven't been able to find any reference that the 6756LX was ever made in anything other than Black, Natural, or Amber Burst. I think I remember seeing, at one point quite some time ago, some historical info on the Ovation Guitars website, or maybe the 6756LX was still catalogued at the time.. but that didn’t mention any version of any kind of red color. A copy of the 2007 catalog I found lists Black, Natural, Amber Burst... but also shows a picture on the Legend/Elite page of probably a 6-string 1777LX in Red Tear Drop (RTD) and that could maybe be the color of mine, too. If these were introduced in 2004 (?) maybe a 2004 or 2005 catalog would be useful, but I haven't found one of those anywhere...

I assume the bowl is mid-depth.

The pre-amp is labeled Op-Pro Series.

The tuners are “gold” with an image of a roundback guitar engraved on each.

I’ve read that the serial number should perhaps be engraved or printed on the headstock or maybe printed on a paper label inside the bowl. I can find neither. I've seen on-line pics of a 2005 model with serial number on the back of the headstock, but nothing like that appears on mine. (Amber Burst was the color of one I saw with serial number.) No sign of one ever having been stamped, engraved, or stenciled on the back of the headstock. The finish also looks unmolested, not as if a number has been removed. No serial number sticker inside the bowl, although I could guess something like that could have been lost to humidity (or lack thereof) or some other cause. OTOH, the main label is still there, looks fine, no signs of falling off in this century...

I have the Service Parts Reference (for the whole modern line-up, near as I can tell... not just for the 6756LX)... and I've been rummaging around on the tribute site, too, but haven’t really found much that matches up completely with what I’ve got.

And then there's that serial number thing.

Can anyone fill me in with any additional details? When built? (2004?) Top wood (the Parts Reference says A grade Sitka Spruce, the 2007 catalog says AA)? Tuner manufacturer (if not Ovation)? Alternative locations for serial number? Et cetera?

-D44

Top of the page Bottom of the page
drummer44
Posted 2018-06-05 2:59 PM (#543963 - in reply to #543961)
Subject: RE: 6756LX?

Here's a pic...

Edited by drummer44 2018-06-05 3:01 PM

(Ovation_snapshot.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ovation_snapshot.JPG (25KB - 0 downloads)
drummer44
Posted 2018-06-09 9:12 AM (#544030 - in reply to #543963)
Subject: Re: 6756LX?

Bump?

I didn't think to mention it, but before I began with questions I did ask the current Ovation folks for info. No joy; said they didn't inherit paper records from earlier management.

-D44
jay
Posted 2018-06-09 6:41 PM (#544039 - in reply to #544030)

Here is my guess...maybe Paul will come on here and set me straight....

Can anyone fill me in with any additional details? When built? (2004?)

Unless you can find a serial...your guess is as good as mine.

Top wood (the Parts Reference says A grade Sitka Spruce, the 2007 catalog says AA)?

Being an LX...it is not going to be A. Has to be at least AA

Tuner manufacturer (if not Ovation)?

Tuners certainly the gold ones from Ovation. Doubt they made them, but they are Ovation tuners.

Alternative locations for serial number? Et cetera? 

Uhm...on the LX, most models...right?

Edited by jay 2018-06-09 6:43 PM

(tuner.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tuner.jpg (12KB - 0 downloads)
drummer44
Posted 2018-06-10 8:08 AM (#544044 - in reply to #543961)

Thanks. Yep, those are the tuners. I think I read somewhere that some tuners were Schallers, but didn't know if that meant made by Schaller for Ovation, or literally Schaller units, or... and probably wouldn't recognize them anyway...

No sign of a serial number like that on mine, nor any sign that there ever was a serial number in that location (the finish looks original and unmarred, etc.).

-D44
jay
Posted 2018-06-11 8:46 AM (#544061 - in reply to #543961)

You are probably right...Shallers! Certainly made by them for O. Which would make them literally Shallers, with O id.

Who knows about the serial. Possibly a neck replacement by the factory at one point? Maybe the stamping guy had a day off.

drummer44
Posted 2018-06-20 9:02 AM (#544161 - in reply to #543961)

Interesting thought. Might that be a common occurrence? Replacement neck, no serial number?

-D44
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)