The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jonmark Stone

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

DaveKell
Posted 2018-08-03 8:30 AM (#544729)
Subject: Jonmark Stone

I felt I needed to address a few comments to you in a new thread as opposed to the other thread I started about Mickey Newbury's harmonica player R.B. Lindsay you are friends with.

I was awakened at 3:40 this morning in intense pain from neck injuries in the accident we had almost two months ago where we were rear ended while stopped in construction traffic. I learned last week after an new mri that I now needs rods in my lower back in addition to the spinal fusion I already needed in my neck. I'm refraining from pain meds with all of this, I still laugh at the rocky start my initial appearance on this forum got me when I was heavily medicated following a major surgery and came off on here as a blabbering idiot! For sure, I gave Darkbar fodder for some great comedy material at my expense that was well deserved and on point. I owned it but it's history now I hope.

Before 4am I was propped up in my recliner reading a book, a biography of Mickey Newbury that R.B. entrusted into my care. I was surprised to read extensively about Jonmark's phenomenal presence in Mickey's life. I envied the story I read about you being at The Bluebird Cafe with Mickey, Johnnie Cash, Kris Kristofferson and many others. I IMMEDIATELY HAD A SENSE OF SECONDHAND PRIDE YOU HAD TAKEN TIME TO RESPOND TO ME ON THIS FORUM IN MY THREAD ABOUT SONGWRITING. You make two direct connections I've made now to my favorite songwriter. I've advanced far beyond 6 degrees of separation. I'm so envious of you and R.B.'s connection to such a stellar talent as Mickey. This forum, whether anybody knows it or not (SO damn many people still have no idea of who Mickey Newbury was) is very fortunate to have you among its membership.

I know a few other greats have graced this site. I'm trying to remember Shania Twain's guitarist who posted a video of playing with Shania, and of course the participation of Matt Smith. I can't forget the velvet crooning of Darkbar whose singing I admire so much but who the hell ever heard of him outside the OFC? LOL!

Jonmark, I only want to ask you one question. Where did your suggestion to Mickey to lie flat on his back and sing into a suspended mic on a recording session ever come from? My first thought was it must've been a practical joke! When I make a trip to Nashville after my accident settlement to visit my old friend Randy Handley I'm hoping I can get to meet you in person if that's okay with you? You've been right there in the thick of so much greatness your life has been nothing short of phenomenally blessed!!

Edited by DaveKell 2018-08-03 8:32 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2018-08-03 11:05 AM (#544734 - in reply to #544729)
Subject: Re: Jonmark Stone

That was Mickey's idea. He decided he wanted to try doing vocals lying down so we moved a couch out of the reception area into the studio and hung a Neumann over his head. Did the whole project that way.
elginacres
Posted 2018-08-03 7:15 PM (#544751 - in reply to #544729)

Shania's Guitar Player - Dan Schafer.
http://www.danschafer.com/

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/danschafer5

Edited by elginacres 2018-08-03 7:19 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0259.jpeg (42KB - 1 downloads)
elginacres
Posted 2018-08-03 7:25 PM (#544753 - in reply to #544729)

The viper in front was Dan's he sold it to me years ago - great guy - great guitar. This was the collection I brought to Damons for the PNW gathering.

Edited by elginacres 2018-08-03 7:27 PM

(Viper.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Viper.jpg (46KB - 0 downloads)
DaveKell
Posted 2018-08-04 7:05 AM (#544759 - in reply to #544729)

I got up at 4 this morning again, unable to sleep because of neck pain. Finished the Newbury book. I can't imagine the magnitude of the honor Jonmark must have felt having his song played at Mickey's funeral. Jesus, as soon as my accident settlement comes I think I have about 28 Newbury albums to buy! Next project will be to try and find a Mickey Newbury autograph, maybe on eBay?
Darkbar
Posted 2018-08-07 5:08 PM (#544811 - in reply to #544729)
Subject: RE: Jonmark Stone

DaveKell - 2018-08-03 9:30 AM

I can't forget the velvet crooning of Darkbar whose singing I admire so much but who the hell ever heard of him outside the OFC? LOL!

Wow....I haven't been feeling down about myself enough as it is. Thanks Dave, for letting me know how meaningless my life really is.....
nerdydave
Posted 2018-08-07 11:14 PM (#544821 - in reply to #544729)

Not quite sure that is what Dave Kell was trying to convey. Seems I heard some admiration somewhere in there!
DaveKell
Posted 2018-08-15 9:24 AM (#544910 - in reply to #544811)
Subject: RE: Jonmark Stone

Darkbar - 2018-08-07 5:08 PM

DaveKell - 2018-08-03 9:30 AM

I can't forget the velvet crooning of Darkbar whose singing I admire so much but who the hell ever heard of him outside the OFC? LOL!

Wow....I haven't been feeling down about myself enough as it is. Thanks Dave, for letting me know how meaningless my life really is.....

Never my intent. I'm your biggest fan...
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2018-08-15 5:13 PM (#544914 - in reply to #544910)

Another DB Youtube fan here!

Dan Schafer's a good man and super talent. We got to share the Opry stage once... many moons ago.

Edited by Jonmark Stone 2018-08-15 5:15 PM
Darkbar
Posted 2018-08-16 7:11 PM (#544924 - in reply to #544914)

Jonmark Stone - 2018-08-15 6:13 PM

Another DB Youtube fan here!

No way, but thx JS
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)