The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas natural frequency response suffix

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-08-28 5:52 AM (#545076)
Subject: Adamas natural frequency response suffix

Recently I have been asked about it but I could not answer:
I forgot the meaning of the suffix nr. indicated on the older Adamas labels. The 2-digit frequency response number indicates a deeper or higher "sound" of the guitar. Now what I forgot:
The higher number (e.g.95) says higher frequency / higher sound? Or is it just the other way round? Physical the higher frequency should be higher response. Does someone still know about this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
elginacres
Posted 2018-09-01 7:45 AM (#545105 - in reply to #545076)
Subject: Re: Adamas natural frequency response suffix

My understanding is it stood for the measured response of the top (natural or nominal resonance) - when subjected to a pulse on a vibrometer, measured in hertz, or cycles per second. AKA, in your example the natural resonance frequency of the top of that guitar is 95Hz.

I have never heard a definitive statement about a desired frequency - I know the original slotheads had varying measurements.
elginacres
Posted 2018-09-01 7:53 AM (#545106 - in reply to #545076)

The number does represent frequency or cycles per second - which is the part of sound which is equated with pitch - which is a direct correlation relationship - ergo, the lower the frequency number, the lower the pitch.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2018-09-01 8:08 AM (#545107 - in reply to #545076)

When touring the factory years ago, we were shown the original vibrometer created to make these measurements and told that the higher the number, the greater the vibration, and theoretically, the better the sound. But then Darren also said that sound was subjective and while a 97 or 98 reading was technically superior to a 92, many other factors were in play as well. I have 6 guitars with vibrometer readouts between 92 and 95. The highest reading I’ve ever seen is a 98. The original No. 47 was a 98 if I recall correctly. My memory may not be what it used to be.
elginacres
Posted 2018-09-01 5:04 PM (#545111 - in reply to #545076)

Yep Professor - you got it - they want it to vibrate - ergo sound and sustain.
DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-09-03 12:20 PM (#545122 - in reply to #545076)

My question was if you have 2 indentical guitars with different suffixes (e.g.87 and 98), the one with the lower suffix should have a -little- more bass because of the lower natural resonance? 87 hz is much deeper than 98 hz.That would make sense to me.
Maybe the idea was that if someone bought a guitar of these he would have been able to buy a second one with exactly! the same sound if desired. We all know how different apparently indentical guitars do sound. I don´t believe that a higher suffix should mark a difference in quality per se.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)