The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Adamas strings don´t fit properly on Adamas guitar???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> The Adamas GuitarMessage format

DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-10-11 12:05 PM (#545476)
Subject: New Adamas strings don´t fit properly on Adamas guitar???

I wanted to try the new coated Adamas strings on a 1687. The Low E string has such a long winding on the string end that it goes right over the saddle which certainly was not intended. The string appears not to sit properly on the edge and I´m not sure if this will become a break point.
See pics

I added a brass ball end, it works better but does not look like high-end...

Sometimes I ask myself if all this is really neccessary all the time.

Edited by DetlefMichel 2018-10-11 12:07 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2018-10-11 12:24 PM (#545478 - in reply to #545476)
Subject: Re: New Adamas strings don´t fit properly on Adamas guitar???

Wow, my guess is that someone programmed in a different length and then made about a Million strings that way.
Love O Fair
Posted 2018-10-11 3:19 PM (#545481 - in reply to #545476)

That's just screwy. I don't see any practical sense to it. There are too many variances in saddle widths and spacing for them to seat correctly on a broad range of guitar brand models and styles. I would hope that Woody is correct on them being a factory miss-run for one particular string (the E), but it looks like the other wound strings are that way, too, or close to it. I wouldn't want that on any of my guitars, and if this is the new normal for Adamas strings I don't think people are going to be buying them much.

Edited by Love O Fair 2018-10-11 3:36 PM
tpa
Posted 2018-10-12 11:49 AM (#545482 - in reply to #545476)

Were it me and had I procured them through a reputable dealer I would ask for a return.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2018-10-12 1:57 PM (#545483 - in reply to #545476)

That looks like something you'd do for an electric with a wrap-around bridge...  But even still... Adamas strings that don't work on an Adamas guitar....  not cool

DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-10-13 8:05 AM (#545488 - in reply to #545483)

Ok that was only a small problem.
I tried these string on my 1687. The sound is very balanced and very clear, even the .47 low E string has enough power for rich basses.
But if you try to play some fingerstyle or more bluesy styles with bendings and vibratos, you fill find that 1. the G string is so much harder than the other 5 strings. This feels very strange and very uncomfortable, as if you would have replaced this string from an other set with a higher gauge.2. the strings are called "extra-light" (.10-.47)but they are so hard that I can hardly bend the B-string (which is the easiest normally) more than a half note without extreme effort. The G string is not bendable at all, a quarter note if you grab very tight, on lower frets not at all. I must say that I have .12-56 strings on other guitars that are way easier to play, this set is harder to play than any of my 12string guitars. What for?
I can not recommmend these strings.
It feels like no one of the poeple who made these strings ever really tried to play an acoustic guitar. We can do much more with our instruments than chop simple chords with a pick, we want to bend and modulate tones. Playability is below zero, sorry folks. I will make a video next week to show you exactly what I mean.
marenostrum
Posted 2018-10-13 9:47 AM (#545489 - in reply to #545476)

Would it be possible the playbility be affected by the coating system used .....?
As far as the strings end winding is concern, is it just the set of strings picuterd or you found this fault on all sets that you got ?
However, I will give a try to the historic reissue string set.......
Did you get them from Thomann ?

Edited by marenostrum 2018-10-13 9:48 AM
Mike S.
Posted 2018-10-14 12:25 AM (#545496 - in reply to #545476)

Hello, Everyone,
Mike S. from Ottawa, CANADA here. I'm at loss as to what to think about the new 2018 ADAMAS strings now?!! I saw these strings on the Ovation tribute.com site, and thought they were readily avaiaible, but apparently, now I found out, NOT North America? The video for the strings DID NOT show any of these on any ADAMAS guitar however, so what's up with that? Somebody is jerking all of our OFC chains somewhwere, and I agree with Mr. Ovation. NOT COOL!! I'm still hoping to get a set of the NOS 2016 ADAMAS Strings from alpep, or damon at some point. I'll keep trying. In the meantime, BUYER BEWARE!

Mike S.,

Ottawa, ON.,

CANADA

alpep
Posted 2018-10-14 12:21 PM (#545503 - in reply to #545476)

try d addario
Mike S.
Posted 2018-10-15 10:43 PM (#545522 - in reply to #545503)

Hi, Al,
Thanks for the kind reply. I do, I do have D' Addario EXP 16's on my Ovation as we speak. The person in the Ovation Tribute.com video just sent li'l ole me a PM, and offered me a FREE sample set of the new ADAMAS Strings to try out! I don't know if they will fit my guitar?, but free is always good, eh? AND, AND, AND, my worship leader at the Coffeehouse where I play also offered me a FREE set of ELIXER Strings, of which he is very nuts about, BTW. I also have the option of going to my local music store to buy the new Ernie Ball PARADIGM Coated Strings, which are supposed to be like the new ADAMAS Coated Strings. I got a FREE SAMPLE of the PARADIGM strings from ERNIE BALL when they were doing marketing tests on them last year. They were and/or are okay, but NOT ADAMAS. I shall go for the free stuff for now, but I shall not give up on getting the NOS 2016 ADAMAS Strings and other accessories from you in the not-too-distant future. I'll be sure let the OFC know about how my sample set of ADAMAS STRINGS turned out.
Mike S.
Ottawa, ON.,
CANADA
DetlefMichel
Posted 2018-10-20 6:20 AM (#545578 - in reply to #545476)

To my big surprise I meanwhile got a very friendly answer from the distributor of these strings, although my critics are very subjective. I even got some sets of strings to test and they offered me my money back (which is not necessary but I did appreciate the offer). I think if more people would have similar trouble they might think about changing something with these strings? Anyway, a very cool reaction.
I have the .10 set now a couple of weeks on the guitar and it seems to get a wee bit softer, but still very hard to bend and the G string for me is still too hard for the rest. Too bad, because the sound is quite good and the thin coating appears to be made very precisely.
bburg
Posted 2018-10-25 1:32 PM (#545637 - in reply to #545476)

I use the 1749E (11-52) sets on my "players" and I had trouble once with a set, that has 2 D-strings on no G-string. But the playability of them is ok. ( in my opinion)
On my "wallhanger" ( the ones I play not often) I use elixir 11-50 nanoweb strings....

Bernie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)