The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Choosing my first Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Jackaroo
Posted 2018-10-16 1:39 AM (#545526)
Subject: Choosing my first Ovation

Hello, I've been playing acoustic guitar for over 25 years. I've never made any money doing so, but a talented singer-guitarist friend of mine wants me to accompany him at paying gigs at restaurants, wineries, fundraising events, etc. He usually performs without amplification or microphones. He sings loudly and strums hard, playing songs by the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead, the Beatles, the Velvet Underground, and Bob Dylan

Would an unplugged deep contour bowl Ovation be as loud as your average wooden dreadnought? And would it still have that magical Ovation tone when played unplugged?

I have my eyes on a new Ovation Legend 2077 AX Deep Contour acoustic-electric. It's one of the cheaper deep-contour bowl models, and I prefer the single sound-hole kind to the multiple. I've played a few Ovations at stores in my area and was spellbound, but I have to try out a deep contour model.

Links to the Ovation I like:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation/Legend-2077-AX-Deep-Contour-Aco...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ovation-legend-2077-ax-deep-...

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2018-10-17 5:35 PM (#545550 - in reply to #545526)
Subject: Re: Choosing my first Ovation

Hi Jackaroo,

A deep contour bowl Ovation is likely to be louder than the average woodbox guitar. Anything with AX or TX on the end is made in Asia (mostly Korea I think) but I played a 2077AX a few weeks back and liked the sound better than the elites that were on offer. It's a very nice guitar, and if you buy from a retailer with a money back guarantee, you can always return it if there is something wrong with it.

If you don't mind second hand, you could probably pick up a used 2077LX (US made) for a similar price. Another option would be to find a second hand 1117 A-braced acoustic only Legend, which is a deep bowl, and an absolute stonking guitar.
alpep
Posted 2018-10-17 7:00 PM (#545552 - in reply to #545526)

I have some good deals on used instruments made in USA
Check my website
Jackaroo
Posted 2018-10-20 11:27 PM (#545589 - in reply to #545526)

Thanks everybody (two people) for your responses. I've found a new "Ovation Legend 2077 AX Deep Contour Acoustic-Electric Guitar Black" on the internet for $825.00, including shipping. I hope it arrives in one piece and that we can build a life together.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2018-10-21 1:52 AM (#545590 - in reply to #545526)

Congratulations.

Let us know when you get it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)