The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Refurbished Preacher Deluxe - Warn out parts

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Frit
Posted 2019-01-02 3:20 PM (#546378)
Subject: Refurbished Preacher Deluxe - Warn out parts

Hi all from Ontario.

My dad had purchased a Preacher Deluxe new and played it for about 10 years before he quit playing. Until 4 months ago, it sat in its case in his basement.

I took it in to a shop I trust to have it setup and they did an awesome job with it including replacing all the frets with new stainless steel frets. They checked the electronics and mentioned that both the volume and the tone had some small dead spots, but other than that everything worked fine.... until now.

The pickup selector switch is now acting up and I have to push down on it to make it properly connect everything.

I want to use this guitar as my primary as I love the way it plays and how it sounds... and being able to go from a tele sound to a Les Paul sound makes life a lot easier than switching guitars while playing.

I know parts for these guitars are next to non-existent so I was wondering if I went passive with new pickups and controls if I can still have some of the original sound and functionality, and if so what would be the recommended pickups etc.

Thanks
Frit
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2019-01-02 5:05 PM (#546380 - in reply to #546378)
Subject: Re: Refurbished Preacher Deluxe - Warn out parts

By the time you read this, you will have been upgraded to full membership and upon your response, I can move this post to the main section where more people can respond. Having owned several preachers and preacher deluxe guitars over the years, those mini-humbuckers to my ears are worthless without the preamp. In fact, my only Preacher now actually has Viper pickups in it rather than the mini-humbuckers.

A few people have switches left, so they may chime in when you post in the main section.
Frit
Posted 2019-01-02 6:42 PM (#546381 - in reply to #546378)

Hi MrOvation,

Thanks for giving me full membership. I read that in several places that the factory ones really do need the preamp. I've read about replacing the silicon wafer with the carbon strip for the pots so I'd just need to know which pots to order. Maybe I'll see if I can pull the switch apart... maybe?

Thanks
Frit
Frit
Posted 2019-01-11 6:30 PM (#546506 - in reply to #546378)

I going to mod the volume and tone pots to replace the contact surface, but I was wondering if anyone would have a 3 way pickup switch in gold? Mine is definitely pooched.

Here's a pic.

Edited by Frit 2019-01-11 6:40 PM

(preacher.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments preacher.jpg (49KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)