The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Viper Prototype Bass

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

hanktremain
Posted 2019-02-05 10:12 AM (#546909)
Subject: Viper Prototype Bass

Hello everyone,

I'm planning on making a little video about the Ovation Viper prototype bass guitar I was lucky enough to purchase on eBay a few years back. But before I do, I wanted to try to research it's history a little more, and the forum here seemed like the best place to start.

According to the guy I got it from, only two were ever produced: a fretless version and the fretted one I have.

The neck, bridge and pick-up (neck pick-up only) appear to be straight from the Magnum II.
The body is a modified version of the Viper body, only larger (mainly taller - appropriately scaled for the larger size off full-scale bass).
There is tone pot, volume pot and jack socket mounted to the scratch plate.

I was hoping to get hold of someone who was working at Ovation at the time, to hopefully get a little back story behind why this was made, whether it's true a fretless prototype was also made, and why it was not considered for production.

Any help anyone's able to give me would be awesome,

Thanks!!

Hank
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hanktremain
Posted 2019-02-05 10:42 AM (#546910 - in reply to #546909)
Subject: Re: Viper Prototype Bass

Forgot to clarify: This is a solid body bass, not an acoustic bass.
A prototype bass version of the Ovation Viper Solid Body Guitar.

Hank
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2019-02-05 11:23 AM (#546911 - in reply to #546909)
Subject: RE: Viper Prototype Bass

Hi and Welcome,

I'm not sure it was a prototype as much as it was just a one-off build.  I don't recall there being a fretless, but a couple of folks on here that were there at the time might remember.  I do recall it was a killer guitar when I had it.

I also upgraded you to full membership, you may now freely move about the cabin (post in the General Forum section) as only a few people can respond here.

hanktremain
Posted 2019-02-05 11:46 AM (#546912 - in reply to #546909)

Hey Miles,

Thanks so much for getting back to me so fast!
And thank you for changing my status.

That the very guy
I see that the scratch plate's been bust from when you had it.
Could I ask you the time frame it was in your possession, where you obtained it and where and to whom you sold it?

Thank you so much.

Hank
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2019-02-05 12:01 PM (#546913 - in reply to #546909)

Hi Hank,
I got it in the early 2000's had for a few years and someone purchased it form me, but I don't recall who. I did find that it indeed was a prototype as the serial number XNNN is the format they used for prototypes. As far as who I bought it from, I will let them respond if they care to. I will move this thread into the general area so others can join in.
hanktremain
Posted 2019-02-05 1:33 PM (#546914 - in reply to #546909)

hanktremain
Posted 2019-02-05 2:00 PM (#546916 - in reply to #546909)

Super interesting, Thanks Miles.
As you correctly recorded the bass has the 'X' prefix in the SN and so the previous owner was correct about it being a Prototype.
Which is really cool to know for sure!!

The full SN is X059.
I guess this means that it's the 59th Solid body Prototype?
seems to large a number to be solely iterations of Bass prototypes?

Knowing this I hope may help us date it's production.

I was wondering is there was any other parts of the bass that could help give it a likely date?

As the hardware and neck appear to have just been taken from a Magnum Bass, are there changes in design that might give clues to a date of production?
eg. "machineheads with this type of screw head were used between these dates..."

Also, Magnum bass bridge question:
Having reviewed some photos, am i right in thinking that in place of where there is an OVATION logo on the bridge of my bass, you can fix a string mute that can be raised by pressing in a tab on the side of the bridge?

Thanks again,

Hank
TJR
Posted 2019-02-06 10:05 PM (#546934 - in reply to #546909)

So very cool to see, so thanks for sharing ! Is the body Walnut or Mahogany? I have an old Prototype Magnum I that has a blank chrome neckplate with deep de-bossed lettering (also chromed) denoting "X050" if I'm remembering it all correctly. I do believe the "X000" designation was used across multiple guitar models, not just solid bodies.

So both your solid body vipers have 2 pickups on average..?

If you ever think you want to replace the pick guard, scratch plate, I do have some of the original NORPLEX brand material that was used. I would need to verify the thickness though. Then need someone with the ability to duplicate from your original.

TJR, Southern Maine.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2019-02-07 12:05 AM (#546935 - in reply to #546909)

The only thing I can add is that I think these bridges are from a little later in production, like maybe starting when Magnum II's and III's came online.  Getting an exact year is going to be tough, but its' going to be likely between 81-83...   

Now having said that...  here are some more points to ponder.

Yes, the neckplate is in prototype format...  so, the neckplate was intended for a prototype.   However, that doesn't mean someone didn't build a bass and go "hey, I need a neck plate" and grab one, or just put a high number on it.

The reason I mention this, now that my memory has been jogged, is that this might be the ONLY one-guitar they made.  All other Ovation guitars referred to as "one-off's" were just unique or experimental configurations and colors of guitars that may or may not have finally gone into production.   38 Slotheads, 12 Bluebirds, 22 PF-22's etc etc..    Someone did a lot of work to make (and finish) one guitar.  The body is unique, the pickguard unique.  Granted, not terribly difficult, but to make just one (or maybe two as you mentioned)...  just seems very strange.   

And, if by chance you don't think that's strange enough...  if there are others, where are they?  

But, I'm open-minded...  I know there were 1000's of Ovation branded microphones made, and I've never seen one.  So go figure.

I'm hoping the person who made this guitar or remembers it being made shows up.  That is the only way we will know for sure.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)